Skip to main content

The truth about violent youth and video games

Submitted by redwyre on
Forum
Submitted by Kane on Wed, 27/07/05 - 11:08 PM Permalink

That is a very good read, and I think most of everyone on Sumea will agree that none of what he said was very surprising.

We all know that video games can't drive a person to violence, it's just the people that don't understand video games and the people who want to make money out of anything and everything.

Submitted by Kane on Thu, 28/07/05 - 12:23 AM Permalink

Well that certainly shed some light on the previous post and I find his evidence much more convincing.

I am now inclined to agree that video games definately do cause low life psychos who were deranged before they had even layed eyes on a video game to commit acts of violence.

[:p]

Submitted by WiffleCube on Thu, 28/07/05 - 1:24 AM Permalink

I played an imported version of 'Restricted Area' recently
and had violent homicidal urges. I also bit my keyboard
in half playing 'Battlecruiser: Millenium' and 'Superpower'.

This also happens with a lot of recent Red Ant titles [xx(].

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 28/07/05 - 1:59 AM Permalink

have a read of some of the links o that site too. dumb comments in some, scary stuff in others:

?We?re getting killings which are caused by the use of Nintendo-style games, such as the game Pok?mon, with children, and also with police and others."

"A disabled 14-year-old was charged as an adult with strong-armed robbery and jailed for six weeks. The boy, who had no criminal record, was accused of taking $2 from a classmate."

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 03/08/05 - 6:16 AM Permalink

Seriously though, after a lengthy session playing Pac-Man, I was tempted to rummage through the medicine closet and find which pills would give me the super ability to eat ghosts.

Oh yeh, the game that has influenced me most is Frogger. I have many broken and/or munched on limbs because of that game.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 03/08/05 - 5:19 PM Permalink

The more things change?
I remember when table top RPGs where the ?Evil? instiller of the age. How, just by thumbing through the pages of a D & D manual you where being corrupted and would most likely start eating kittens.
?And remember kids you can?t get your sentence cut due to mitigating circumstances without citing that the media created scapegoat made you do it.?

Pantmonger

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 03/08/05 - 10:17 PM Permalink

Heh, there was even a movie called 'Mazes and Monsters', starring Tom Hanks, made back in 1982, that was about a bunch of college students who got so into their tabletop RPG game that they started to believe that they were really their characters and ventured off into the local caverns for adventure. It ended badly for all. tut tut children, those games will warp your mind!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 04/08/05 - 2:31 AM Permalink

"Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll" said by none other then Shigeru Miyamoto. Back when i worked for gamebiz we put that one on stickers to hand out at events :P

Posted by redwyre on
Forum

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 27/07/05 - 11:08 PM Permalink

That is a very good read, and I think most of everyone on Sumea will agree that none of what he said was very surprising.

We all know that video games can't drive a person to violence, it's just the people that don't understand video games and the people who want to make money out of anything and everything.

Submitted by Kane on Thu, 28/07/05 - 12:23 AM Permalink

Well that certainly shed some light on the previous post and I find his evidence much more convincing.

I am now inclined to agree that video games definately do cause low life psychos who were deranged before they had even layed eyes on a video game to commit acts of violence.

[:p]

Submitted by WiffleCube on Thu, 28/07/05 - 1:24 AM Permalink

I played an imported version of 'Restricted Area' recently
and had violent homicidal urges. I also bit my keyboard
in half playing 'Battlecruiser: Millenium' and 'Superpower'.

This also happens with a lot of recent Red Ant titles [xx(].

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 28/07/05 - 1:59 AM Permalink

have a read of some of the links o that site too. dumb comments in some, scary stuff in others:

?We?re getting killings which are caused by the use of Nintendo-style games, such as the game Pok?mon, with children, and also with police and others."

"A disabled 14-year-old was charged as an adult with strong-armed robbery and jailed for six weeks. The boy, who had no criminal record, was accused of taking $2 from a classmate."

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 03/08/05 - 6:16 AM Permalink

Seriously though, after a lengthy session playing Pac-Man, I was tempted to rummage through the medicine closet and find which pills would give me the super ability to eat ghosts.

Oh yeh, the game that has influenced me most is Frogger. I have many broken and/or munched on limbs because of that game.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 03/08/05 - 5:19 PM Permalink

The more things change?
I remember when table top RPGs where the ?Evil? instiller of the age. How, just by thumbing through the pages of a D & D manual you where being corrupted and would most likely start eating kittens.
?And remember kids you can?t get your sentence cut due to mitigating circumstances without citing that the media created scapegoat made you do it.?

Pantmonger

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 03/08/05 - 10:17 PM Permalink

Heh, there was even a movie called 'Mazes and Monsters', starring Tom Hanks, made back in 1982, that was about a bunch of college students who got so into their tabletop RPG game that they started to believe that they were really their characters and ventured off into the local caverns for adventure. It ended badly for all. tut tut children, those games will warp your mind!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 04/08/05 - 2:31 AM Permalink

"Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll" said by none other then Shigeru Miyamoto. Back when i worked for gamebiz we put that one on stickers to hand out at events :P