Skip to main content

2d: Creatures

Submitted by denz on

Gday [:)] this is my first post here at sumea, been watching for a while. Anyway, i thought i might show these animal concepts I recently did. Any c&c would be greatly appreciated, thanx!
[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/animal3copy.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/animALLLLLnew.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by Stu on Tue, 27/04/04 - 7:46 PM Permalink

I like your style, especially that second pic.

Stu

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 28/04/04 - 6:03 AM Permalink

you should check out alti's work your style is reminiscant of his - although your slightly more clear, nice concepts man - welcome to sumea :)

I really like the lighting on the mech - but the first concept at the top looks a tad weird anatomy wise - then again i have no idea what that thing is - his head looks cool - but back where the hind legs are etc - things start getting a tad funny, really small ribcage area etc.

look forward to seeing more of your work man :)

Submitted by denz on Wed, 28/04/04 - 9:25 AM Permalink

Thanx for the crit hazard, I totally agree. I don't really know my anatomy to well and it was sort of in the back of my mind when doing these, cos i'm still practicing how to paint, but thats no excuse[:D], also thats probably the reason I'm doing monsters etc, cos you can let that go a little bit.
I think the next thing i do i will concentrate more on learning anatomy.
Heres another one I did today, the anatomy is pretty whack aswell, heh. Keep them crits comin!

P.S If the pics dont work, try refreshing the page, that seemed to work.
[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/animal4newpasscopy.jp…]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 30/04/04 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Very cool man, im really liking your style - once again the lighting on the mech is really good and that creature thingo.. man its hideous.. that verticle mouth, just screams disgusting... i love it [:D]

The cargo ship thingo also looks very cool, but is it a boat type thing ? or a spacecraft ?

Submitted by denz on Fri, 30/04/04 - 6:07 AM Permalink

hey thanx hazard :D I was sorta thinking of that stormship troopers slug thing at the time.

With the ship, its suppose to be one of those 'Looks like an old boat but is a space ship' things heh, but im not really pully it off. I wanna put some more oriental boat feel into it, maybe some sails will do the trick.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/04/04 - 6:48 AM Permalink

if you want to make it orienantal your headed ont the right track but you could go so much further. Funnily enough the first thing that springs to mind here was a trailer that was posted in general chatter for a animie that has been turned into a live action movie. Souri posted it... help me out here :P

if your going to develop it more try to not just make teahouses with wings :P youve got a good base there to work on as far as ship contruction goes.

As for the ghoulies and mechs, the mech images i dont like half as much as i like your creatures. In particulary the second one you posted. its a very well designed and drawn (or tablet painted or wutever :P ) picture. same goes for the other two (yes i reckon the vertical mouth is neat too :P is there a story to that?) just theres little niggles with them i dont see in the other one.

thats my 2 cents (i feel like i was too harsh, really all your work is really good and i have nothing like that tallent, just offering my petty donation ;) )

Submitted by denz on Sat, 01/05/04 - 3:24 AM Permalink

MoonUnit: umm heh, i don't know what anime your talking about [:P] And yeah, the design is pretty basic, so I tried adding some things, I think it's still not working though. Theres definately no functionality there:) But I think I'm still going to continue with it anyway, it's all practice. thanx for ur comments man[:)]

Vertical mouth, haha, theres no real story to that, just had stormship troopers in mind. Theres probably more detail there cos I wanted to try and do more detail for that one. And don't worry, not harsh at all :D harsh helps me out.

scottiebrack: Thanx mate. The reason I try to only leave detail in certain areas (besides my lazyness) is to focus the eyes on the important areas such as the head, I think it is also fun as a viewer to try and interpret some of the stuff, but yeah mainly lazyness [:P]. So I might try and do more next time.
Thanks for the link dude, pretty cool [:)]

So here is a quick update on the ship, I'm guna leave it as is for now and start painting it or watever. Still open for suggestions though.
[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/ships3NewNewNew_copy…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 01/05/04 - 9:40 AM Permalink

heh, now the crew have got a backup option if the engines fail, i think we need to put one of those on me mates car :P

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 02/05/04 - 1:26 AM Permalink

Just a quick note regards the ships front ( bow ? ) if it were a boat then it would be tapered and not squared off like that - because its a ship - i guess you can get away with it a bit more - but still aerodynamics issues etc ;) imagine those poor bastard rowing those massive oars! [;)]

Submitted by denz on Sun, 02/05/04 - 9:24 AM Permalink

we could all use one i think moonunit ;) Thanx hazard, thats a really good point. I think the front like you said would really bring out the boat in it so I'll try and do that. heh and I think there would be quite a few poor bastards slaving away, and all becos of my terrible design [:D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 02/05/04 - 10:37 AM Permalink

i would love to see that ship modelled, with a really decent texture size. i like that design more and more every time i look at it - are you going to colour it as well like your creatures ?

Submitted by denz on Mon, 03/05/04 - 5:54 AM Permalink

I'm glad you like the design hazard. yeah a model would be cool, if you wana take a crack at it you're more then welcome to [:D] I'd love to see a lopoly of this, I'm terrible with nonorganic stuff though.[:(!]

About the rest of it, I know I said I was guna go further with it but I'm taking that back heh, sorry. I started but was just havn a heep of troubles with it and moved onto other stuff, i know it's bad!. Thanx to everyone who helped out with it though.

Here is a wip space girl thing (knowing me, that I will not finish) Again, open to suggestions and crits.
[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/girl1C2_copy.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 03/05/04 - 10:57 AM Permalink

that gun is cool, but you know i get 2 completely different styles of painting from that pic - one for teh face alone and another for teh rest of the piece.

the face looks almost abstract compared to the rest of the painting & its because IMO it looks highly smoothed and finely detailed - which doesnt seem to fit in with the rest of the pic.

your understanding of lighting is still pretty good though, i can see that from all your pieces.

RE : building that ship as a model - i might give it a go, but ive got so much on the go at the moment i will be pretty hard pressed to fit it in :) ill definately keep it on the books tho - thanks for putting it out there to be built [;)]

Submitted by denz on Mon, 03/05/04 - 9:31 PM Permalink

hey thanx man. Yeah your right, theres far too much contrast in detail there. As with the ship, no worries heh.[:D]

Posted by denz on

Gday [:)] this is my first post here at sumea, been watching for a while. Anyway, i thought i might show these animal concepts I recently did. Any c&c would be greatly appreciated, thanx!
[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/animal3copy.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/animALLLLLnew.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by Stu on Tue, 27/04/04 - 7:46 PM Permalink

I like your style, especially that second pic.

Stu

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 28/04/04 - 6:03 AM Permalink

you should check out alti's work your style is reminiscant of his - although your slightly more clear, nice concepts man - welcome to sumea :)

I really like the lighting on the mech - but the first concept at the top looks a tad weird anatomy wise - then again i have no idea what that thing is - his head looks cool - but back where the hind legs are etc - things start getting a tad funny, really small ribcage area etc.

look forward to seeing more of your work man :)

Submitted by denz on Wed, 28/04/04 - 9:25 AM Permalink

Thanx for the crit hazard, I totally agree. I don't really know my anatomy to well and it was sort of in the back of my mind when doing these, cos i'm still practicing how to paint, but thats no excuse[:D], also thats probably the reason I'm doing monsters etc, cos you can let that go a little bit.
I think the next thing i do i will concentrate more on learning anatomy.
Heres another one I did today, the anatomy is pretty whack aswell, heh. Keep them crits comin!

P.S If the pics dont work, try refreshing the page, that seemed to work.
[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/animal4newpasscopy.jp…]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 30/04/04 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Very cool man, im really liking your style - once again the lighting on the mech is really good and that creature thingo.. man its hideous.. that verticle mouth, just screams disgusting... i love it [:D]

The cargo ship thingo also looks very cool, but is it a boat type thing ? or a spacecraft ?

Submitted by denz on Fri, 30/04/04 - 6:07 AM Permalink

hey thanx hazard :D I was sorta thinking of that stormship troopers slug thing at the time.

With the ship, its suppose to be one of those 'Looks like an old boat but is a space ship' things heh, but im not really pully it off. I wanna put some more oriental boat feel into it, maybe some sails will do the trick.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 30/04/04 - 6:48 AM Permalink

if you want to make it orienantal your headed ont the right track but you could go so much further. Funnily enough the first thing that springs to mind here was a trailer that was posted in general chatter for a animie that has been turned into a live action movie. Souri posted it... help me out here :P

if your going to develop it more try to not just make teahouses with wings :P youve got a good base there to work on as far as ship contruction goes.

As for the ghoulies and mechs, the mech images i dont like half as much as i like your creatures. In particulary the second one you posted. its a very well designed and drawn (or tablet painted or wutever :P ) picture. same goes for the other two (yes i reckon the vertical mouth is neat too :P is there a story to that?) just theres little niggles with them i dont see in the other one.

thats my 2 cents (i feel like i was too harsh, really all your work is really good and i have nothing like that tallent, just offering my petty donation ;) )

Submitted by denz on Sat, 01/05/04 - 3:24 AM Permalink

MoonUnit: umm heh, i don't know what anime your talking about [:P] And yeah, the design is pretty basic, so I tried adding some things, I think it's still not working though. Theres definately no functionality there:) But I think I'm still going to continue with it anyway, it's all practice. thanx for ur comments man[:)]

Vertical mouth, haha, theres no real story to that, just had stormship troopers in mind. Theres probably more detail there cos I wanted to try and do more detail for that one. And don't worry, not harsh at all :D harsh helps me out.

scottiebrack: Thanx mate. The reason I try to only leave detail in certain areas (besides my lazyness) is to focus the eyes on the important areas such as the head, I think it is also fun as a viewer to try and interpret some of the stuff, but yeah mainly lazyness [:P]. So I might try and do more next time.
Thanks for the link dude, pretty cool [:)]

So here is a quick update on the ship, I'm guna leave it as is for now and start painting it or watever. Still open for suggestions though.
[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/ships3NewNewNew_copy…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 01/05/04 - 9:40 AM Permalink

heh, now the crew have got a backup option if the engines fail, i think we need to put one of those on me mates car :P

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 02/05/04 - 1:26 AM Permalink

Just a quick note regards the ships front ( bow ? ) if it were a boat then it would be tapered and not squared off like that - because its a ship - i guess you can get away with it a bit more - but still aerodynamics issues etc ;) imagine those poor bastard rowing those massive oars! [;)]

Submitted by denz on Sun, 02/05/04 - 9:24 AM Permalink

we could all use one i think moonunit ;) Thanx hazard, thats a really good point. I think the front like you said would really bring out the boat in it so I'll try and do that. heh and I think there would be quite a few poor bastards slaving away, and all becos of my terrible design [:D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 02/05/04 - 10:37 AM Permalink

i would love to see that ship modelled, with a really decent texture size. i like that design more and more every time i look at it - are you going to colour it as well like your creatures ?

Submitted by denz on Mon, 03/05/04 - 5:54 AM Permalink

I'm glad you like the design hazard. yeah a model would be cool, if you wana take a crack at it you're more then welcome to [:D] I'd love to see a lopoly of this, I'm terrible with nonorganic stuff though.[:(!]

About the rest of it, I know I said I was guna go further with it but I'm taking that back heh, sorry. I started but was just havn a heep of troubles with it and moved onto other stuff, i know it's bad!. Thanx to everyone who helped out with it though.

Here is a wip space girl thing (knowing me, that I will not finish) Again, open to suggestions and crits.
[IMG]http://img59.photobucket.com/albums/v180/denzil40/girl1C2_copy.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 03/05/04 - 10:57 AM Permalink

that gun is cool, but you know i get 2 completely different styles of painting from that pic - one for teh face alone and another for teh rest of the piece.

the face looks almost abstract compared to the rest of the painting & its because IMO it looks highly smoothed and finely detailed - which doesnt seem to fit in with the rest of the pic.

your understanding of lighting is still pretty good though, i can see that from all your pieces.

RE : building that ship as a model - i might give it a go, but ive got so much on the go at the moment i will be pretty hard pressed to fit it in :) ill definately keep it on the books tho - thanks for putting it out there to be built [;)]

Submitted by denz on Mon, 03/05/04 - 9:31 PM Permalink

hey thanx man. Yeah your right, theres far too much contrast in detail there. As with the ship, no worries heh.[:D]