Skip to main content

What is everybody coding?

Submitted by Daemin on
Forum

So, it's over half way though the year, and the NYG is also closed (well it will be very soon), so what is everybody working on now. I mean programming wise. I'm sure that there are many interesting and whacky projects that people are doing!

Submitted by davidcoen on Sat, 26/07/03 - 10:19 AM Permalink

just read a huge book on software engineering and thought to try programming again.

having a go at a robust data driven 3d fighting game...if i get time to finish it, could be interesting

reality. (actaul progress) log file. variables from init file. parse scene file (geometry, animation, lights, camera). directx framework. (ie, really primitive stuff that real programers i imagine won't find impressive, but never seem to be present in any project i work on as an artist)

current task. atempt2 at animation control class. (managing what keyframes are active and what objects are effected) state based....

dreams. everything as dynamic bones (ones with active animation are not as elastic, have a dot product limit on bone movement). continious time collision ( i can dream can't i?)

and spending 5 days a week making triangles for money.

Submitted by tachyon on Sat, 26/07/03 - 12:21 PM Permalink

not coding anything at the moment (besides uni stuff). been thinking about it, sometimes i'm about to start, write a header file or something and then get too lazy and play warcraft3 instead

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 01/08/03 - 8:58 AM Permalink

I'm working on a new idea of mine, multiplayer platform game... its pretty simple but i'm experimenting with ways of programming things so its turned bloody hard.

But thats sitting still for a while, my 3d game engine design subject at uni has a huge assignment that demands much time.

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 01/08/03 - 11:24 PM Permalink

Absolutely nothing at the moment :P I've hardly got time to keep up with Univeristy....

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 02/08/03 - 3:29 AM Permalink

At home, I'm coding a IRC library and an IRC bot,
at work, I can't tell you ;)

Submitted by Kezza on Mon, 11/08/03 - 7:42 AM Permalink

Scratch last thing... writing the 3d engine stuff for uni and associated 3dsmax plugins and scripts atm.
I'm going to return to my own project as soon as its over

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 11/08/03 - 7:52 AM Permalink

Kezza: Writing a 3D Engine for Uni - WTF? - Which Uni?

Submitted by fuzzmeister on Tue, 12/08/03 - 8:26 AM Permalink

Right now i've taken a much needed break... but i'm sure i'll return to it with full enthusiasm to work endless days and nights once again. except for the 3 weeks coming as i have a job serch training program to do :( They might just help me get some kinda part time work in the mean time until i make it in the industry :)

Models
----------------
I've been working on my game demo 'wastelander' (possibly only working name depending on what i actually make from it). Recently i've dived into the world of key frame animation using md3 as a base, using existing custom models and working them into my game. works great and looks nice (SLERP and quarternion rotations were nice to beat)... if i get far enough to actually have a game to lure animators to work on my project, i'll be looking at a 3dsmax plugin and my own keyframe animation based model format as i'm gunna need afew special animations for starters. Weapon's load and switch.. err just like Q3 atm. When i get my map format sorted i add object placement (such as weapons, static models etc)

Maps
----------------
I've written a map compiler for my format, pretty basic sofar, mesh data, textures, and map specs. Later to include object placement etc. As far as the mesh goes it's got no LOD and there's no tiling so it's nothing special. It takes a raw image file with a bunch of parameters and creates the mesh from that. The game engine takes care of the oct tree creation.

Submitted by tachyon on Tue, 12/08/03 - 9:02 AM Permalink

got off my ass, gotta start doing work for uni again which includes, just started writing a 3D particle engine, after that am gonna start on my 3D engine, and am gonna use it to make "Uber Extreme Vaccum Cleaning", a game which simulates the extreme world of vacumm cleaning.

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 12/08/03 - 9:13 AM Permalink

I am just doing programming for school stuff :)
The past month or so life has been too hectic for "spare time".

While its not programming - I have been working on some stuff for students for the AGDC as well as stuff for students with the GDAA.

Right now programming is being left for school and spare time for other things!

Submitted by GooberMan on Tue, 12/08/03 - 11:12 PM Permalink

I got bored so I started writing a level editor for the original Doom :)

Submitted by Strik3r on Wed, 13/08/03 - 1:02 AM Permalink

Currently coding a networked 3D space combat game and all the related tools.

Posted by Daemin on
Forum

So, it's over half way though the year, and the NYG is also closed (well it will be very soon), so what is everybody working on now. I mean programming wise. I'm sure that there are many interesting and whacky projects that people are doing!

Submitted by davidcoen on Sat, 26/07/03 - 10:19 AM Permalink

just read a huge book on software engineering and thought to try programming again.

having a go at a robust data driven 3d fighting game...if i get time to finish it, could be interesting

reality. (actaul progress) log file. variables from init file. parse scene file (geometry, animation, lights, camera). directx framework. (ie, really primitive stuff that real programers i imagine won't find impressive, but never seem to be present in any project i work on as an artist)

current task. atempt2 at animation control class. (managing what keyframes are active and what objects are effected) state based....

dreams. everything as dynamic bones (ones with active animation are not as elastic, have a dot product limit on bone movement). continious time collision ( i can dream can't i?)

and spending 5 days a week making triangles for money.

Submitted by tachyon on Sat, 26/07/03 - 12:21 PM Permalink

not coding anything at the moment (besides uni stuff). been thinking about it, sometimes i'm about to start, write a header file or something and then get too lazy and play warcraft3 instead

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 01/08/03 - 8:58 AM Permalink

I'm working on a new idea of mine, multiplayer platform game... its pretty simple but i'm experimenting with ways of programming things so its turned bloody hard.

But thats sitting still for a while, my 3d game engine design subject at uni has a huge assignment that demands much time.

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 01/08/03 - 11:24 PM Permalink

Absolutely nothing at the moment :P I've hardly got time to keep up with Univeristy....

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 02/08/03 - 3:29 AM Permalink

At home, I'm coding a IRC library and an IRC bot,
at work, I can't tell you ;)

Submitted by Kezza on Mon, 11/08/03 - 7:42 AM Permalink

Scratch last thing... writing the 3d engine stuff for uni and associated 3dsmax plugins and scripts atm.
I'm going to return to my own project as soon as its over

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 11/08/03 - 7:52 AM Permalink

Kezza: Writing a 3D Engine for Uni - WTF? - Which Uni?

Submitted by fuzzmeister on Tue, 12/08/03 - 8:26 AM Permalink

Right now i've taken a much needed break... but i'm sure i'll return to it with full enthusiasm to work endless days and nights once again. except for the 3 weeks coming as i have a job serch training program to do :( They might just help me get some kinda part time work in the mean time until i make it in the industry :)

Models
----------------
I've been working on my game demo 'wastelander' (possibly only working name depending on what i actually make from it). Recently i've dived into the world of key frame animation using md3 as a base, using existing custom models and working them into my game. works great and looks nice (SLERP and quarternion rotations were nice to beat)... if i get far enough to actually have a game to lure animators to work on my project, i'll be looking at a 3dsmax plugin and my own keyframe animation based model format as i'm gunna need afew special animations for starters. Weapon's load and switch.. err just like Q3 atm. When i get my map format sorted i add object placement (such as weapons, static models etc)

Maps
----------------
I've written a map compiler for my format, pretty basic sofar, mesh data, textures, and map specs. Later to include object placement etc. As far as the mesh goes it's got no LOD and there's no tiling so it's nothing special. It takes a raw image file with a bunch of parameters and creates the mesh from that. The game engine takes care of the oct tree creation.

Submitted by tachyon on Tue, 12/08/03 - 9:02 AM Permalink

got off my ass, gotta start doing work for uni again which includes, just started writing a 3D particle engine, after that am gonna start on my 3D engine, and am gonna use it to make "Uber Extreme Vaccum Cleaning", a game which simulates the extreme world of vacumm cleaning.

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 12/08/03 - 9:13 AM Permalink

I am just doing programming for school stuff :)
The past month or so life has been too hectic for "spare time".

While its not programming - I have been working on some stuff for students for the AGDC as well as stuff for students with the GDAA.

Right now programming is being left for school and spare time for other things!

Submitted by GooberMan on Tue, 12/08/03 - 11:12 PM Permalink

I got bored so I started writing a level editor for the original Doom :)

Submitted by Strik3r on Wed, 13/08/03 - 1:02 AM Permalink

Currently coding a networked 3D space combat game and all the related tools.