Skip to main content

Flash - Point & Click Adventure

Submitted by Groady on

This is a flash game I've been working on. It's a point & click adventure game inspired by games like Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango.

I've got most of the basic game systems in place (walking, background movement, inventory system etc...). Currently you can only walk back and forth in the scene and click on the mushrooms and bird. Next I will probably create a new player character as this was a rushed job placeholder. I have an idea for a storyline which I think I will keep episodic (if there is enough interest in the first episode :P). I'm VERY happy with how the background is working. I'm really loving the "layered" effect I have going on and hope you like it too. This is still a long time off being a finished game.

Any critiques or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Controls are WASD for movement, I for inventory and the mouse. Enjoy.

[url]http://www.graphicscenes.com/Flash/Game.html[/url]
(Flash 8 required, swf is 160kb and there is currently no preloader).

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 26/05/06 - 5:27 AM Permalink

good start -- trying to get into some work, so I'll give a quick lot of feedback:

I realise this is quite early, so excuse my obvious feedback :)

- more parallax in your environments
this is flash, so don't be afraid to make your environments a greater depth. Eg, your character can scale down small for far off depth, and large for being in the foreground. at the moment it's feeling more side-scroller'ish.

- movement
character movement feels very sluggish almost to a frustrating degree. You have to be moving forwards/backwards to also be able to go up/down. If you ramp up from walking slow to a jog within a short amount of time, the transition should feel a lot more comfortable. An idle state would be good too.

- Loving the UI
the options feel great - talk, take, look. Simple yet effective and the visuals are unobtrusive and basic but just feel 'right'. Object highlighting would be a major good thing though -- so highlight usable items on mouse-over.

- blurry foreground items = cool look.

- iso character
The side on character would be best changed to a slightly isometric view. Check out DotT, Discworld, space quests etc for a "standard" view referance which works in a greater range of angles/environments.

it's going great, good job!

Submitted by souri on Mon, 26/06/06 - 7:54 PM Permalink

Hey, this rocks! I can see a huge potential in this - I'd love to see a point & click advernture like those games in flash! Agree with all the points Joel makes. I'm a big fan of old SCUMM based adventure games, and if you can take some inspiration from what's been done there, I'm sure you're onto a winner. I'm definately eager to see how far you can take this!

Posted by Groady on

This is a flash game I've been working on. It's a point & click adventure game inspired by games like Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango.

I've got most of the basic game systems in place (walking, background movement, inventory system etc...). Currently you can only walk back and forth in the scene and click on the mushrooms and bird. Next I will probably create a new player character as this was a rushed job placeholder. I have an idea for a storyline which I think I will keep episodic (if there is enough interest in the first episode :P). I'm VERY happy with how the background is working. I'm really loving the "layered" effect I have going on and hope you like it too. This is still a long time off being a finished game.

Any critiques or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Controls are WASD for movement, I for inventory and the mouse. Enjoy.

[url]http://www.graphicscenes.com/Flash/Game.html[/url]
(Flash 8 required, swf is 160kb and there is currently no preloader).

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 26/05/06 - 5:27 AM Permalink

good start -- trying to get into some work, so I'll give a quick lot of feedback:

I realise this is quite early, so excuse my obvious feedback :)

- more parallax in your environments
this is flash, so don't be afraid to make your environments a greater depth. Eg, your character can scale down small for far off depth, and large for being in the foreground. at the moment it's feeling more side-scroller'ish.

- movement
character movement feels very sluggish almost to a frustrating degree. You have to be moving forwards/backwards to also be able to go up/down. If you ramp up from walking slow to a jog within a short amount of time, the transition should feel a lot more comfortable. An idle state would be good too.

- Loving the UI
the options feel great - talk, take, look. Simple yet effective and the visuals are unobtrusive and basic but just feel 'right'. Object highlighting would be a major good thing though -- so highlight usable items on mouse-over.

- blurry foreground items = cool look.

- iso character
The side on character would be best changed to a slightly isometric view. Check out DotT, Discworld, space quests etc for a "standard" view referance which works in a greater range of angles/environments.

it's going great, good job!

Submitted by souri on Mon, 26/06/06 - 7:54 PM Permalink

Hey, this rocks! I can see a huge potential in this - I'd love to see a point & click advernture like those games in flash! Agree with all the points Joel makes. I'm a big fan of old SCUMM based adventure games, and if you can take some inspiration from what's been done there, I'm sure you're onto a winner. I'm definately eager to see how far you can take this!