Skip to main content

Orc Engineer Concepts

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Okay ill start this thing, the first character concept class is an:

Orcish Engineer

how you depict it is up to you, be it traditional or warhammer style. Just produce a concept that screams " Orcish Engineer "

There is no time limit and this isnt a competition, rather more of a thread to crit / comment on each others concept skills.

Ill be starting my Orcish Engineer as soon as ive finished the sumea modelling comp [:p]

Submitted by matias on Fri, 26/03/04 - 6:48 AM Permalink

alrighty then, no-one minds if I dont wait for the comp to finish?

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 26/03/04 - 8:47 AM Permalink

Go for it man! :D - ill be starting soon too :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 27/03/04 - 7:58 AM Permalink

now that's an orc. I find it quite funny, the differance between blizzards orcs and peter jacksons orcs.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 27/03/04 - 9:00 AM Permalink

lol thats awesome, love the armour (zug zug, strap plates to self) :D

whilst the armour is pretty cool it is slightly messy, maybe a few larger plates and less random cubes would make it look even better. Theres some nice additions like the toolbelt (i was gonna do that!! ok... like everyone is :P ) and armband etc.

Submitted by matias on Sat, 27/03/04 - 9:47 AM Permalink

yeah, I was looking at him and agree that he at least needs a proper breast plate, and I think I want strap a heap more tools on him, orcs never do things in halves[:D]. I grew up playing warcraft 2's orcs so they're still my sort of base idea of orcs. (plus I'd say they were Tolkien's orcs bullet [:p]. Its funny how leaving something and watching tv then coming back and seeing a heap of thing you should do!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 27/03/04 - 10:02 AM Permalink

Most excellent matias - im loving it ALOT.. if you do clean up the armour (less plates etc) - try to retain some of that randomness i think it really suits the engineer - kinda like a gnomish inventor would be...

thats a really cool concept man :D~~~~~~~~

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Sat, 27/03/04 - 10:25 AM Permalink

Love the randomness of the hat, maybe just because I can't figure out what that thing on the front does though...

(Is it just me or are his arms creepy long?)

Submitted by matias on Sat, 27/03/04 - 10:34 AM Permalink

yeah his arms are really long but orcs are supposed to be apish...
Don't worry hazard, an engineer is never one to buy armour, grrr no he can do betterer..er.er.... in a manner of speaking.

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 27/03/04 - 12:49 PM Permalink

Sweeeet.

Although, i think his "helmet" takes away from the effect. Makes him look funny :D

cheers

Submitted by matias on Sat, 27/03/04 - 10:03 PM Permalink

yeah I was thinking about making him humourus(?) in a sort of zug zug way, maybe took it to far, I mean while orcs can be funny ha-ha, they are also blood thirsty scourges of the universe with killing and the maiming >GLAAAAVIN<
ok so heres my sort of pencil doodles I did first, sort of a cross roads as to were I took the character, tell me people if I took the wrong turn, it's not too late! Never too late! well...
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/orcengineersheads.jpg[/…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 27/03/04 - 10:19 PM Permalink

matias: "in a sort of zug zug way" heh heh

interesting helmet ideas, i dunno but orks seem to be a bit more simplistic then these helmet designs youve got there, something like a metal bowl with a strap and viking style horns usually suits.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/orks/catalog/default.htm

warhammer 40k ork catalouge, great research point :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 27/03/04 - 11:52 PM Permalink

Thats insane man - im liking your art heapssssss... VERY VERY fantasy game art style,...

as for comments - i like the left drawing better, cos the helmet on the second one looks as though his neck would have to be massive to hold the bastard up. prolly weighs like 150kg judgin by the thickness of the metal and im guessing its metal ;)
Also orcs MUST have piercings.... and youve got those in there ;) also like the one the left more cos the right one has more of a pirate look to him ;)

insane man...... keep going.....

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 28/03/04 - 12:04 AM Permalink

Some sweet stuff coming along here, and some critiquing going on which is good though I must admit I find it a bit funny when people say thing like ?your orc needs x? when I thought part of the point of this activity was to see the different way people portrayed the topic, rather then bring them in line with an expectation.

I?ll probably be posting mine tonight, ink work is done just got to add the colour, but first I must go vote.

Pantmonger

Submitted by matias on Sun, 28/03/04 - 12:13 AM Permalink

goodo, I just voted go greenslopes I had only like 3 people in front of me to line up, I swear I saw a tumble weed roll out of the hall!

I'm looking forward to you orc Pantmonger, I think I'll keep my helmet as is now you make the point[:p]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 28/03/04 - 12:26 AM Permalink

yeahgood point pants :P guess just carried away by the usual of seeing someones concept!!!!

and commenting / criting personal preferences etc...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 28/03/04 - 4:25 AM Permalink

yeah thats actually an interesting point pants. i suppose im just too used to the whole crit thing :P

expect mine if not tonight then tommorow. If i havent done it then, come over here and slap me

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 28/03/04 - 6:45 AM Permalink

That's nice, the head looks more like Tolkiens orc than Blizzards a very welcome change. Nice Work.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 28/03/04 - 8:27 AM Permalink

thats awesome pants, and your lineworks so clean :o :P

to me thats a bit of a "baby face" (im sure you know the term). which is a new thing on a orc for me, not sure if its really a plus or a minus...

oh and is that scarring, or does he need to shave his belly button :P ;)

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 28/03/04 - 9:02 AM Permalink

woahhhhh pants thats insane man, i love how youve managed to capture the inocent PEON type of look whilst retaining the bulkiness of a well muscled orc, also with that cheeky expression on his face - it looks really cool. kinda makes you wonder, hes happy..... but for the love of god dont make him mad.... especially while hes weilding that hammer. :P

Submitted by matias on Sun, 28/03/04 - 9:46 AM Permalink

sweet pantmonger man, you really do have clean work man! I do love his hammer/pick thingy! I think its a really convincing mix between all orc styles, it does have a less cartoony orc face but does capture the orcish peon.

By the way, a very modest package he toting![:p]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 28/03/04 - 4:43 PM Permalink

Thanks for the comments, Im glad people liked it. The ink is done with a small pot of India ink and a paint brush just in case anyone was wondering. Moonunit, its belly fur :)
Again thanks,
Pantmonger

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 28/03/04 - 11:01 PM Permalink

Matias: the helmet on the left would suit better I think. the Right hand one looks 'egyptian regal' in style to me. Your getting as bad a HazarD with you package comments!

Nice detail on the hammer Pant. For some reason I find it eyecatching! Line weights are just right or something

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 1:13 AM Permalink

woah dude... thats some seriously good painting. your lighting is insane.... i really like the DUhhhhhhhhh HUH ? look on his face.... and an interesting weapon / staff.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 29/03/04 - 1:39 AM Permalink

heh heh heh i think he drunk too much, hes got quite the rudolph nose :D

this is a new thing on me, an orc with a more human stance/propotion then gorrila. Oh and nice staff thing :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 1:49 AM Permalink

you said slap you if you didnt post your concept last night [;)]

im safe i said i wouldnt post mine till after the modelling comp :D

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 29/03/04 - 1:49 AM Permalink

hehehe, I think I did it a little too subtle - it's a half "uggs-stick-of-hitting" and half primitive spanner... since he's an engineer and all.

Submitted by matias on Mon, 29/03/04 - 2:48 AM Permalink

Awesome JI! Man thats some sweet work, its really painterly, which I love! it reminds me of some of Justin Sweets work, which I think is one of the highest compliments I can give!
I would say with the red hands and the massive spanner of smiting hes like 'uhhh I did-a baaad ting!'
mmm it also has a hint of frazetta too....
good stuff![:D]

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Okay ill start this thing, the first character concept class is an:

Orcish Engineer

how you depict it is up to you, be it traditional or warhammer style. Just produce a concept that screams " Orcish Engineer "

There is no time limit and this isnt a competition, rather more of a thread to crit / comment on each others concept skills.

Ill be starting my Orcish Engineer as soon as ive finished the sumea modelling comp [:p]

Submitted by matias on Fri, 26/03/04 - 6:48 AM Permalink

alrighty then, no-one minds if I dont wait for the comp to finish?

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 26/03/04 - 8:47 AM Permalink

Go for it man! :D - ill be starting soon too :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 27/03/04 - 7:58 AM Permalink

now that's an orc. I find it quite funny, the differance between blizzards orcs and peter jacksons orcs.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 27/03/04 - 9:00 AM Permalink

lol thats awesome, love the armour (zug zug, strap plates to self) :D

whilst the armour is pretty cool it is slightly messy, maybe a few larger plates and less random cubes would make it look even better. Theres some nice additions like the toolbelt (i was gonna do that!! ok... like everyone is :P ) and armband etc.

Submitted by matias on Sat, 27/03/04 - 9:47 AM Permalink

yeah, I was looking at him and agree that he at least needs a proper breast plate, and I think I want strap a heap more tools on him, orcs never do things in halves[:D]. I grew up playing warcraft 2's orcs so they're still my sort of base idea of orcs. (plus I'd say they were Tolkien's orcs bullet [:p]. Its funny how leaving something and watching tv then coming back and seeing a heap of thing you should do!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 27/03/04 - 10:02 AM Permalink

Most excellent matias - im loving it ALOT.. if you do clean up the armour (less plates etc) - try to retain some of that randomness i think it really suits the engineer - kinda like a gnomish inventor would be...

thats a really cool concept man :D~~~~~~~~

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Sat, 27/03/04 - 10:25 AM Permalink

Love the randomness of the hat, maybe just because I can't figure out what that thing on the front does though...

(Is it just me or are his arms creepy long?)

Submitted by matias on Sat, 27/03/04 - 10:34 AM Permalink

yeah his arms are really long but orcs are supposed to be apish...
Don't worry hazard, an engineer is never one to buy armour, grrr no he can do betterer..er.er.... in a manner of speaking.

Submitted by smeg on Sat, 27/03/04 - 12:49 PM Permalink

Sweeeet.

Although, i think his "helmet" takes away from the effect. Makes him look funny :D

cheers

Submitted by matias on Sat, 27/03/04 - 10:03 PM Permalink

yeah I was thinking about making him humourus(?) in a sort of zug zug way, maybe took it to far, I mean while orcs can be funny ha-ha, they are also blood thirsty scourges of the universe with killing and the maiming >GLAAAAVIN<
ok so heres my sort of pencil doodles I did first, sort of a cross roads as to were I took the character, tell me people if I took the wrong turn, it's not too late! Never too late! well...
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/orcengineersheads.jpg[/…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 27/03/04 - 10:19 PM Permalink

matias: "in a sort of zug zug way" heh heh

interesting helmet ideas, i dunno but orks seem to be a bit more simplistic then these helmet designs youve got there, something like a metal bowl with a strap and viking style horns usually suits.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/orks/catalog/default.htm

warhammer 40k ork catalouge, great research point :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 27/03/04 - 11:52 PM Permalink

Thats insane man - im liking your art heapssssss... VERY VERY fantasy game art style,...

as for comments - i like the left drawing better, cos the helmet on the second one looks as though his neck would have to be massive to hold the bastard up. prolly weighs like 150kg judgin by the thickness of the metal and im guessing its metal ;)
Also orcs MUST have piercings.... and youve got those in there ;) also like the one the left more cos the right one has more of a pirate look to him ;)

insane man...... keep going.....

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 28/03/04 - 12:04 AM Permalink

Some sweet stuff coming along here, and some critiquing going on which is good though I must admit I find it a bit funny when people say thing like ?your orc needs x? when I thought part of the point of this activity was to see the different way people portrayed the topic, rather then bring them in line with an expectation.

I?ll probably be posting mine tonight, ink work is done just got to add the colour, but first I must go vote.

Pantmonger

Submitted by matias on Sun, 28/03/04 - 12:13 AM Permalink

goodo, I just voted go greenslopes I had only like 3 people in front of me to line up, I swear I saw a tumble weed roll out of the hall!

I'm looking forward to you orc Pantmonger, I think I'll keep my helmet as is now you make the point[:p]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 28/03/04 - 12:26 AM Permalink

yeahgood point pants :P guess just carried away by the usual of seeing someones concept!!!!

and commenting / criting personal preferences etc...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 28/03/04 - 4:25 AM Permalink

yeah thats actually an interesting point pants. i suppose im just too used to the whole crit thing :P

expect mine if not tonight then tommorow. If i havent done it then, come over here and slap me

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 28/03/04 - 6:45 AM Permalink

That's nice, the head looks more like Tolkiens orc than Blizzards a very welcome change. Nice Work.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 28/03/04 - 8:27 AM Permalink

thats awesome pants, and your lineworks so clean :o :P

to me thats a bit of a "baby face" (im sure you know the term). which is a new thing on a orc for me, not sure if its really a plus or a minus...

oh and is that scarring, or does he need to shave his belly button :P ;)

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 28/03/04 - 9:02 AM Permalink

woahhhhh pants thats insane man, i love how youve managed to capture the inocent PEON type of look whilst retaining the bulkiness of a well muscled orc, also with that cheeky expression on his face - it looks really cool. kinda makes you wonder, hes happy..... but for the love of god dont make him mad.... especially while hes weilding that hammer. :P

Submitted by matias on Sun, 28/03/04 - 9:46 AM Permalink

sweet pantmonger man, you really do have clean work man! I do love his hammer/pick thingy! I think its a really convincing mix between all orc styles, it does have a less cartoony orc face but does capture the orcish peon.

By the way, a very modest package he toting![:p]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 28/03/04 - 4:43 PM Permalink

Thanks for the comments, Im glad people liked it. The ink is done with a small pot of India ink and a paint brush just in case anyone was wondering. Moonunit, its belly fur :)
Again thanks,
Pantmonger

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 28/03/04 - 11:01 PM Permalink

Matias: the helmet on the left would suit better I think. the Right hand one looks 'egyptian regal' in style to me. Your getting as bad a HazarD with you package comments!

Nice detail on the hammer Pant. For some reason I find it eyecatching! Line weights are just right or something

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 1:13 AM Permalink

woah dude... thats some seriously good painting. your lighting is insane.... i really like the DUhhhhhhhhh HUH ? look on his face.... and an interesting weapon / staff.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 29/03/04 - 1:39 AM Permalink

heh heh heh i think he drunk too much, hes got quite the rudolph nose :D

this is a new thing on me, an orc with a more human stance/propotion then gorrila. Oh and nice staff thing :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 1:49 AM Permalink

you said slap you if you didnt post your concept last night [;)]

im safe i said i wouldnt post mine till after the modelling comp :D

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 29/03/04 - 1:49 AM Permalink

hehehe, I think I did it a little too subtle - it's a half "uggs-stick-of-hitting" and half primitive spanner... since he's an engineer and all.

Submitted by matias on Mon, 29/03/04 - 2:48 AM Permalink

Awesome JI! Man thats some sweet work, its really painterly, which I love! it reminds me of some of Justin Sweets work, which I think is one of the highest compliments I can give!
I would say with the red hands and the massive spanner of smiting hes like 'uhhh I did-a baaad ting!'
mmm it also has a hint of frazetta too....
good stuff![:D]