Skip to main content

Copying Animation

Submitted by ussmc on
Forum

Can Maya 7 copy an animation from one model to another?
and
Why do people triangulate models? I was taught to keep it 4 sided.

Submitted by Me109 on Sat, 28/01/06 - 10:23 PM Permalink

sure.. you could retarget from one skeleton to another.. or the best way of doing it is with character sets and then using the trak editor to export and import animation clips..

people usually triangulate for games.. where they want a model to tri strip as efficiently as possible.. when the model does this well it can be computed quicker.... so better performance in games..

Submitted by ussmc on Sat, 28/01/06 - 10:47 PM Permalink

Thanks mate, I'll post here again to let you know how it turns out.

Submitted by ussmc on Tue, 31/01/06 - 12:58 AM Permalink

I don?t know how you mean by using the trax editor to import export animation clips. I?m not familiar with it.
I?ve been using the character mapper, then the graph editor to copy animation curves but the animation is not accurate.

I hope the next version of Maya has the GATOR tool like XSI 5 has. This GATOR tool allows you to copy information from a model to another such as; the UV mapping, texture, rig, and animation with just a couple of clicks.

Submitted by ninothe on Wed, 01/02/06 - 5:25 AM Permalink

I'm sure maya can do it. I've heard of Jason Schliefer creating a script that sort of did the same thing, it copies info from a low poly rig to a high poly one. You might want to go over to cgtalk

Submitted by Me109 on Wed, 01/02/06 - 6:09 AM Permalink

You have to make a character set before you can use the trak editor.. once you have done that you can create a clip of the keys on the timeline.. and then export and import..

of course you have to have an identical character set on the target rig.. and it works best if your rigs are the same.. you can also retarget the skeleton..

I'm not sure if this works.. you can also export your character as FBX and when you import.. you import the animation only..

Submitted by ussmc on Thu, 02/02/06 - 1:00 AM Permalink

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

To ninothe; A script that copies animation? Very Interesting. I'm on my to CG talk.

Submitted by ussmc on Fri, 03/02/06 - 11:22 PM Permalink

Well done 'Me109' thanks hips.

Posted by ussmc on
Forum

Can Maya 7 copy an animation from one model to another?
and
Why do people triangulate models? I was taught to keep it 4 sided.

Submitted by Me109 on Sat, 28/01/06 - 10:23 PM Permalink

sure.. you could retarget from one skeleton to another.. or the best way of doing it is with character sets and then using the trak editor to export and import animation clips..

people usually triangulate for games.. where they want a model to tri strip as efficiently as possible.. when the model does this well it can be computed quicker.... so better performance in games..

Submitted by ussmc on Sat, 28/01/06 - 10:47 PM Permalink

Thanks mate, I'll post here again to let you know how it turns out.

Submitted by ussmc on Tue, 31/01/06 - 12:58 AM Permalink

I don?t know how you mean by using the trax editor to import export animation clips. I?m not familiar with it.
I?ve been using the character mapper, then the graph editor to copy animation curves but the animation is not accurate.

I hope the next version of Maya has the GATOR tool like XSI 5 has. This GATOR tool allows you to copy information from a model to another such as; the UV mapping, texture, rig, and animation with just a couple of clicks.

Submitted by ninothe on Wed, 01/02/06 - 5:25 AM Permalink

I'm sure maya can do it. I've heard of Jason Schliefer creating a script that sort of did the same thing, it copies info from a low poly rig to a high poly one. You might want to go over to cgtalk

Submitted by Me109 on Wed, 01/02/06 - 6:09 AM Permalink

You have to make a character set before you can use the trak editor.. once you have done that you can create a clip of the keys on the timeline.. and then export and import..

of course you have to have an identical character set on the target rig.. and it works best if your rigs are the same.. you can also retarget the skeleton..

I'm not sure if this works.. you can also export your character as FBX and when you import.. you import the animation only..

Submitted by ussmc on Thu, 02/02/06 - 1:00 AM Permalink

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

To ninothe; A script that copies animation? Very Interesting. I'm on my to CG talk.

Submitted by ussmc on Fri, 03/02/06 - 11:22 PM Permalink

Well done 'Me109' thanks hips.