Skip to main content

Flipcode RIP

Submitted by WiffleCube on
Forum

Here's the front page:

After more than six and a half years of game development goodness, flipCode is closing its doors. We are no longer accepting submissions of articles, images, news, etc. The article archives will remain online as reference material for the foreseeable future, and the programming forum archives will still be accessible* in a read-only state. The e-mail addresses for submissions will no longer be active. * The articles and forums are temporarily down, but will be back as read-only soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the site's primary editor, I would personally and sincerely like to thank everyone who's contributed positively to the site and surrounding community. This site couldn't possibly have grown to what it was in its prime without your help. I realize this announcement may be a disappointment to many, but I feel I've done all I can with this site to serve the game development community over the years. The industry is changing rapidly, as is the face of the web. There are plenty of other game development resources out there (of all shapes and sizes), and more are sure to pop up. I genuinely hope you enjoyed your stay at flipCode, and wish you the best of luck with your future adventures.

Here's to game development harmony. *tips glass*

-kurt
08/22/2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, crap, there goes a good resource.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 24/08/05 - 5:03 AM Permalink

heh, one of the only "artist friendly" programmer sites out there is going under? Well crap, I'll miss all the pretty coder images and informative news and posts [:(]

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 24/08/05 - 9:28 AM Permalink

Flipcode seemed to me to be the most university-level programmer and artist friendly site out there. A regular favourite, pity that it's coming to an end, but like all good things.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Wed, 24/08/05 - 8:08 PM Permalink

That's most unfortunate, I used to visit flipcode regularly.

I'm glad to see at least that they'll be keeping the articles and forums up as a reference; there's a lot of useful stuff in there that I never got around to reading.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 25/08/05 - 1:03 AM Permalink

1999-2005, 6 years is a darn long time. Kudos to the guys for going at it for so long. 6 years is a good chunk out of your life and maintaining a website can be quite consuming.

Forum

Here's the front page:

After more than six and a half years of game development goodness, flipCode is closing its doors. We are no longer accepting submissions of articles, images, news, etc. The article archives will remain online as reference material for the foreseeable future, and the programming forum archives will still be accessible* in a read-only state. The e-mail addresses for submissions will no longer be active. * The articles and forums are temporarily down, but will be back as read-only soon.

As the site's primary editor, I would personally and sincerely like to thank everyone who's contributed positively to the site and surrounding community. This site couldn't possibly have grown to what it was in its prime without your help. I realize this announcement may be a disappointment to many, but I feel I've done all I can with this site to serve the game development community over the years. The industry is changing rapidly, as is the face of the web. There are plenty of other game development resources out there (of all shapes and sizes), and more are sure to pop up. I genuinely hope you enjoyed your stay at flipCode, and wish you the best of luck with your future adventures.

Here's to game development harmony. *tips glass*

-kurt
08/22/2005
Oh, crap, there goes a good resource.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 24/08/05 - 5:03 AM Permalink

heh, one of the only "artist friendly" programmer sites out there is going under? Well crap, I'll miss all the pretty coder images and informative news and posts [:(]

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 24/08/05 - 9:28 AM Permalink

Flipcode seemed to me to be the most university-level programmer and artist friendly site out there. A regular favourite, pity that it's coming to an end, but like all good things.

Submitted by TheBigJ on Wed, 24/08/05 - 8:08 PM Permalink

That's most unfortunate, I used to visit flipcode regularly.

I'm glad to see at least that they'll be keeping the articles and forums up as a reference; there's a lot of useful stuff in there that I never got around to reading.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 25/08/05 - 1:03 AM Permalink

1999-2005, 6 years is a darn long time. Kudos to the guys for going at it for so long. 6 years is a good chunk out of your life and maintaining a website can be quite consuming.