Skip to main content

Subjects

Submitted by codyalday on
Forum

I am going to V.C.E next year, and the forms for the Subjects I have to do must be in this Friday. I was wondering, for me, wanting to me a 3D Artist, should I do Maths Methods or Just General Maths?

Also, should I do the Subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Biology, subjects like that?, or will that just be a waste of time concidering what I want to be? Anything will be appriacted. Thankaz In Advanced.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Tue, 24/08/04 - 6:13 AM Permalink

as far as I'm concerned, physics, chemistry and biology are a waste of time if you want to be a 3d artist,Maybe if you were doing some programming as well physics would be usefull, learning all those formulas. may I suggest you take an art class and learn how to draw and sculpt, that would be much more beneficial. Maybe even a graphic design class. What other electives do you have to choose from?
Is there any computer related design classes?

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 24/08/04 - 5:57 PM Permalink

When I first learnt of the AIE, CIT said that you needed an major in Maths and English. That was it. I studied those in College, hating nearly every minute of it. When I actually went to enrole at the AIE, I found that I wasted two majors as they didnt need any pre recs. Decide where you would like to study 3D animation and see what their pre recs are. Most will probably just want a portfolio showcasing what Art you do have.

Submitted by TyKeiL on Tue, 24/08/04 - 9:34 PM Permalink

to me it depends on your definition of 3d artist.

i mean, think about procedurally grown models, you could call that art, but it would take a shitload of maths.

knowing the tools with which you construct your art requires maths.
i love maths so im bias.

really to me i could be the programmer of a 3d engine and call it art, and then would i not be a 3d artist?

sorry about the convolution of the idea's

i believe if you want any programming involved in your art then go the whole hog with maths.
if you dont plan on doing any programming then like fluffy cat food said take art and design cources and dont worry about maths and phisics..

just a side note: everything you learn will in some way influence your artwork so whatever you choose you can make art out of it!.

Submitted by Rosco on Tue, 24/08/04 - 11:34 PM Permalink

You need to possibly consider what degree(if any you might be interested in one that is).

The greatest skill a 3D artist can have is the ability to draw, so if you do intend do maths and chem or whatever try doing a life drawing class somewhere.

If your school offers Media Studies, then that would also be good, Photograhpy, Studio Art, Art, Graphic Design, (orthographic) and understanding perspective etc.

Many uni courses that I know, want a 20+ average in English and do require basic maths if your not going to do programing, if you intend to move into progamming then Math Methods definetly.

Otherwise, choose subjects that you know you're going to enjoy and will get high grades in, as these will add to your enter score.

Check out some courses/degrees that are offered where you live or where you want to go and see the requirements there.

Good Luck!

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 25/08/04 - 2:39 AM Permalink

Almost all the 3D courses in Victoria at a university, that doesn't require a folio ask for Maths Methods. Multimedia Systems at RMIT, Multimedia(games and Interactive) at swinburne, Game Developement at Monash. So i think you should do methods, cos it does keep a lot of doors open. But as for the others, i dont think you need them for 3d, but if you are good at it then do it.

I am in year 12 next year as well and the subjects i chose were Methods, English, Chem, Bio and Info Systems. But that is cos i am good at them or like them (dont want to be up myself).

Submitted by codyalday on Wed, 25/08/04 - 4:58 AM Permalink

This has helped me a lot, thankaz to everyone, I will post my Electives of what I am doing this Friday. Most likely I will do General Maths, but I really want to do Maths Methods, but not sure if I can handle it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 25/08/04 - 8:44 PM Permalink

People over estimate how much maths and maths methods are needed, my advice to you is to seek out someone who has the right information, our school has a careers counsilor (sp?) if you dont have acess to someone like that there are various books availible to schools which detail all the pre-requisits for courses at pretty much every universitys and tafes (yes they are fat books :P ) and have a look through that. Personally im headed for bachelor of multimedia at swindburne, a course which has no maths pre-req. Though i would say if your going along the art stream be sure to include fine arts in there, it might not be modelling but itll teach you some basics like colour theory and so on.

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 26/08/04 - 12:11 AM Permalink

Depends on what kind of artist you want to be :) If you just want to use image manipulation, modeling and animation packages then perhaps it's not so important.
But computers and software are all full of maths and logic.
And games are full of maths and physics.

ACAT in the good old days :) used to make the musicians and artists learn very heavy maths indeed, the idea being that if the computer is your medium of choice you should get good at it. NB this is completely different from getting good at using Logic/CoolEdit/Maya/Max/etc.

ACAT were aiming at broad education rather than tech training (and BTW I think what ACAT have become is pretty crap).

Bottom line is have a good long think about where you would like to end up, and what kind of art you would like to make. And remember there are bridging courses if you make the wrong choice.

---
The day that Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck will be the day they start making vacuum cleaners...

Submitted by codyalday on Sat, 18/09/04 - 10:28 AM Permalink

Sorry for that late information, but I was abcent due to my internet not working. Anyways, The subjects I choose for V.C.E where:

English Studio Arts-General Studio Arts-Multimedia Art I.T Programming 3&4
and Mathematics General.

The guy said I wouldn't cope in Mathematics Methods, due to poor results for Semester 1 this Year. Anyways, there they are, I hope I do good next year.

Posted by codyalday on
Forum

I am going to V.C.E next year, and the forms for the Subjects I have to do must be in this Friday. I was wondering, for me, wanting to me a 3D Artist, should I do Maths Methods or Just General Maths?

Also, should I do the Subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Biology, subjects like that?, or will that just be a waste of time concidering what I want to be? Anything will be appriacted. Thankaz In Advanced.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Tue, 24/08/04 - 6:13 AM Permalink

as far as I'm concerned, physics, chemistry and biology are a waste of time if you want to be a 3d artist,Maybe if you were doing some programming as well physics would be usefull, learning all those formulas. may I suggest you take an art class and learn how to draw and sculpt, that would be much more beneficial. Maybe even a graphic design class. What other electives do you have to choose from?
Is there any computer related design classes?

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 24/08/04 - 5:57 PM Permalink

When I first learnt of the AIE, CIT said that you needed an major in Maths and English. That was it. I studied those in College, hating nearly every minute of it. When I actually went to enrole at the AIE, I found that I wasted two majors as they didnt need any pre recs. Decide where you would like to study 3D animation and see what their pre recs are. Most will probably just want a portfolio showcasing what Art you do have.

Submitted by TyKeiL on Tue, 24/08/04 - 9:34 PM Permalink

to me it depends on your definition of 3d artist.

i mean, think about procedurally grown models, you could call that art, but it would take a shitload of maths.

knowing the tools with which you construct your art requires maths.
i love maths so im bias.

really to me i could be the programmer of a 3d engine and call it art, and then would i not be a 3d artist?

sorry about the convolution of the idea's

i believe if you want any programming involved in your art then go the whole hog with maths.
if you dont plan on doing any programming then like fluffy cat food said take art and design cources and dont worry about maths and phisics..

just a side note: everything you learn will in some way influence your artwork so whatever you choose you can make art out of it!.

Submitted by Rosco on Tue, 24/08/04 - 11:34 PM Permalink

You need to possibly consider what degree(if any you might be interested in one that is).

The greatest skill a 3D artist can have is the ability to draw, so if you do intend do maths and chem or whatever try doing a life drawing class somewhere.

If your school offers Media Studies, then that would also be good, Photograhpy, Studio Art, Art, Graphic Design, (orthographic) and understanding perspective etc.

Many uni courses that I know, want a 20+ average in English and do require basic maths if your not going to do programing, if you intend to move into progamming then Math Methods definetly.

Otherwise, choose subjects that you know you're going to enjoy and will get high grades in, as these will add to your enter score.

Check out some courses/degrees that are offered where you live or where you want to go and see the requirements there.

Good Luck!

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 25/08/04 - 2:39 AM Permalink

Almost all the 3D courses in Victoria at a university, that doesn't require a folio ask for Maths Methods. Multimedia Systems at RMIT, Multimedia(games and Interactive) at swinburne, Game Developement at Monash. So i think you should do methods, cos it does keep a lot of doors open. But as for the others, i dont think you need them for 3d, but if you are good at it then do it.

I am in year 12 next year as well and the subjects i chose were Methods, English, Chem, Bio and Info Systems. But that is cos i am good at them or like them (dont want to be up myself).

Submitted by codyalday on Wed, 25/08/04 - 4:58 AM Permalink

This has helped me a lot, thankaz to everyone, I will post my Electives of what I am doing this Friday. Most likely I will do General Maths, but I really want to do Maths Methods, but not sure if I can handle it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 25/08/04 - 8:44 PM Permalink

People over estimate how much maths and maths methods are needed, my advice to you is to seek out someone who has the right information, our school has a careers counsilor (sp?) if you dont have acess to someone like that there are various books availible to schools which detail all the pre-requisits for courses at pretty much every universitys and tafes (yes they are fat books :P ) and have a look through that. Personally im headed for bachelor of multimedia at swindburne, a course which has no maths pre-req. Though i would say if your going along the art stream be sure to include fine arts in there, it might not be modelling but itll teach you some basics like colour theory and so on.

Submitted by lorien on Thu, 26/08/04 - 12:11 AM Permalink

Depends on what kind of artist you want to be :) If you just want to use image manipulation, modeling and animation packages then perhaps it's not so important.
But computers and software are all full of maths and logic.
And games are full of maths and physics.

ACAT in the good old days :) used to make the musicians and artists learn very heavy maths indeed, the idea being that if the computer is your medium of choice you should get good at it. NB this is completely different from getting good at using Logic/CoolEdit/Maya/Max/etc.

ACAT were aiming at broad education rather than tech training (and BTW I think what ACAT have become is pretty crap).

Bottom line is have a good long think about where you would like to end up, and what kind of art you would like to make. And remember there are bridging courses if you make the wrong choice.

---
The day that Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck will be the day they start making vacuum cleaners...

Submitted by codyalday on Sat, 18/09/04 - 10:28 AM Permalink

Sorry for that late information, but I was abcent due to my internet not working. Anyways, The subjects I choose for V.C.E where:

English Studio Arts-General Studio Arts-Multimedia Art I.T Programming 3&4
and Mathematics General.

The guy said I wouldn't cope in Mathematics Methods, due to poor results for Semester 1 this Year. Anyways, there they are, I hope I do good next year.