Skip to main content

Speed 3D

Submitted by MoonUnit on

Inspired by pants speed paints i decided to do my own little speed 3d project as i havent touched maya since i completed my entry to the sumea comp. I modelled this computer because its possible that i could use it in the background or something for a future project.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/2004112022430_compren.j…]

roughly 1 hour

i may texture it later (infact i probably will, allredy layed out UVs) but its basic purpose was just keep me familiarised with maya and perhaps even improve my skills.

Now this thread is open to anyone and everyone to put their own little speed 3d projects in, do anything you like!! unlike pants i wont be doing this kind of thing daily myself (dont have the time) but hopefully some other people will take on this idea aswell.

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 22/11/04 - 6:04 AM Permalink

very good idea. i'll be in on it once i find a few hours spare in which to work on something!

Submitted by Falco on Tue, 23/11/04 - 7:48 AM Permalink

I was realy hanging out to see if any one was interested in speed modeling. This is great cause i've got a demo reel to fill and i've been modeling like crazy.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Falco/2004112244230_Fast_Face.jpg"[/img]

I did this model in 1 hour and 30 minutes. Im not sure if thats speedy for this model. I was modeling with Camtsia running, and ive got to say nothing makes you model quicker when you know someone is gonna be watching your every move afterwards. You realy stop stuffing around. Not that I do that.

I should hopefully get som more stuff later.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 23/11/04 - 11:08 AM Permalink

Can I just hijack for a second :

Falco - I noticed your comment re you having a demo reel to fill, my advice to you would be not to use any piece of work as a 'filler' that is below the level of competency the rest of your reel shows, It stands out like dogs balls, and more importantly it portrays the image that your willing to produce something thats substandard.

Strive to find a good level of consistancy in your reel, if an area lacks like concepting, or animation - get someone else to animate your models or draw your concepts or model sheets and credit them accordingly.

Quality by MILES over quantity. It seems that alot of prospects are fueled by this urge to produce something in uber quick time - I guarantee that any director hiring a 3D modeller will pick the reel with 3 stunning models well textured and unanimated ( created over an undefined period of time ) over the reel that has 10 average models and 5 substandard models but were created in 2 weeks.

/end hijack!

The models look great! Great topic Moony [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 23/11/04 - 11:34 AM Permalink

agreed with Haz on the quality not quantity thing, not that im really the authority on that though :P and thats a pretty good looking model! good stuff :D

Submitted by Falco on Tue, 23/11/04 - 6:57 PM Permalink

Thanks for the tip HazarD. What I meant was that I have a short period of time to create quality models before the AGDC so I can show off my talent, and if I just happen to create something demo reel worthy in record time then I will put it here.

The model above was just for fun, but the one im working on now, (soon to be shown) is of a lot better quality and certinaly is not speed modelled.

I do have a question though. Should I show models here before I give them to employers?

Submitted by GoLDeN on Wed, 24/11/04 - 7:28 AM Permalink

I totaly agree with HazarD, very important to have textured and complete models rather than alot of nice renders of untextured items..shows you can take something to completion and stick with your ideas...etc.
Infact I would say sometimes that one really outstanding example, backed up by some other solid ones could be enough.

Still speed modeling is fun:)..and looks cool for the time you've taken..nice work.

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 24/11/04 - 12:06 PM Permalink

Yeah, this thread is a great idea [:)] ? I hope to see a few people trying new little modelling projects in here.

I tried to do a speed model tonight, but ended up spending over 2 hours and it?s still just a WIP. But at least this thread got me motivated to try something new!

It?s photo referenced from a Viking helm. It?s nowhere near finished, so just a quick shot in soft light to show what I'm doing.

It?s a touch over 1000 poly?s ATM.

[img]http://www.thoughtvalve.com/dl/mark/sumea/helm01.jpg[/img]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 24/11/04 - 12:47 PM Permalink

lol great to hear it pushed you to try something different, looking nice aswell

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 24/11/04 - 2:49 PM Permalink

Falco : Show your work in as many places as you can or at least as you feel comfortable with [:)] Seek constructive feedback from industry vets - CGtalk is really good for that. The only thing that I would advise against is unleashing any model tests given to you by possible employers for all the world to see.

Cant stress enough to get over the shyness of keeping your work to yourself - just slap it down like you own the place! [:D]

Great thread going here by the way - I'm thinking of speed modelling a Dwarf warrior. See what I come up with...

Palantir : Nice Helmet! always like armour design, its such a tricky bastard to get right. Especially if its supposed to work correctly [;)] Coming along nicely!

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 03/12/04 - 6:38 AM Permalink

Finished the helm. It was about 800 poly?s, but I decided it would look better with the bolt?s on the rim and the back panels done as geometry instead of a texture (looked a bit flat as a texture, as you can see on the textured bolts on the front), so now it?s 1022 tris. ?Probably a bit high though.

I have a question though (if anybody feels like answering):
All the poly?s point outward ? as in there are no poly?s on the inside of the helm, as you can see in the side view at the mouth piece. This is great for reducing the poly count, but would this be a problem in a game engine? Would missing tri?s cause any kind of problem, or is it standard practice to not put poly?s where they won?t be seen?

[img]http://www.thoughtvalve.com/nucleus/media/3/20041202-helm19.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 03/12/04 - 8:33 AM Permalink

Palantir : Nice helmet! The reflection looks really strong and saturated to me tho but nice design really like it [:)]

Regards the tri culling - it really does depend on the engine - most engines these days only render polygons that are facing the camera anyway, and allow for double sided faces, meaning the texture is aplied on both sides of the flat plane.

However - if something is going to be really obvious and you will quite likely see the back faces then IMO its best to put them in and give them a piece of texture space, rather than leave them out or have a mirror of the texture on the backface you can often get away with super optimised inner faces anyway.

Hope that helps [:D]

For the helmet above i would think once a human head is in there and your seeing the bloke at eye level and in-game - youd never be peering down into his helm anyway [:P] so its your call!

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 03/12/04 - 9:03 AM Permalink

Thanks [:)]. I?m pretty happy with the design. So much so that I?m tempted to design a suit of armour to match?

About the tri culling, yeah, I thought that would be the case ? I put a head in there and it looked fine, but I was wondering if it could cause problems. It works fine in the engine I?m testing with (an opengl 3d engine in development), but I don?t have experience with many other engines, so I wasn?t sure.

As for the reflection map ? yep, it?s way over done! It?s almost a flat mirror [:P]. I was experimenting with reflection maps when I did that ? just having some fun. I think I better tweak it!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 05/12/04 - 5:27 AM Permalink

Haz joins the speed 3d fun :P
nice little scene, if you were taking that any further you probably know for yourself that the feathers could just have easily been square planes that were alpha mapped. I do like the lighting and render setup, pretty cool :D

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 08/12/04 - 7:33 PM Permalink

I?m a bit late in responding here, but good work Haz. It makes me imagine a fantasy story to go with it ? very atmospheric. For instance, it could easily be the table of an apprentice magician or something?
Or maybe where Bilbo sat and wrote ?There and back again?..

Mithril Golem ? Looking forward to seeing that completed. [:)]

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 14/12/04 - 8:24 AM Permalink

Just a bit of fun (I love making weapons/armour) ? at about 70 minutes, this sword falls into the speed 3d category, so I thought I?d post it:
[img]http://www.thoughtvalve.com/nucleus/media/3/20041213-sword_hilt11.jpg[/…]

Posting here also gives me a chance to show an improved render of my last speed model (I started experimenting with the Strauss material mode, and killed most of the reflection, though the texture could use some rust or something..) :
[img]http://www.thoughtvalve.com/nucleus/media/3/20041208-helm21.jpg[/img]

I hope some of you post some more speed modelling. [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 14/12/04 - 9:46 AM Permalink

i since i started this thread i should post more but ive been so busy! soon...
anyways thats a pretty awesome sword hilt, wd

Submitted by denz on Sat, 18/12/04 - 5:08 AM Permalink

Yeah I think speed with art is a good thing, cos it makes you not think about every little thing and more out of intuition [:)]

Hazard, that table scene rocks. are you going to texture it?

Nice sword palatnir.

Heres mine, just over an hr, zbrush from zspheres. I plan on finishing him then take him into silo for topology brush.

[IMG]http://img152.exs.cx/img152/5725/dude4ew.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 18/12/04 - 5:46 AM Permalink

just over an hour?? ive really got to look into zbrush sometime...

EDIT: ok updating time eh?

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/20051222040_compren2.jp…]
[img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/20051222125_sign2ren.jp…]

these are to be background objects in a little project of mine, the dodgy edges on the signposts are courtesy of photoshop not maya. btw if anyone can point me to a tutorial of how to apply spec and bump in maya id be gratefull. I know the theory just not how to implement it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 20/01/06 - 11:00 PM Permalink

ze topic revival! [:0] for those whove forgotten, think speed paints but 3d instead.

making more background objects for another project. itsa me... watercooler!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/2006119195754_watercool…]

the base of the thing dosent look that interesting but i dont suppose its really supposed to... prob textured soon (perhaps even today, also i know theres some 5+ sided polys, itll get triangulated in the end).

EDIT: whadda ya know, i did get it textured today. Sorry the renders a bit murky. In hindsight theres actually a lot of negative space in my UV map that i didnt think about when laying things out and some things were given way larger area then they required however all in all im pleased with the results and not to finicky about it as it is a background object.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200612041416_watercoole…] [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200612041435_watercoole…]

Posted by MoonUnit on

Inspired by pants speed paints i decided to do my own little speed 3d project as i havent touched maya since i completed my entry to the sumea comp. I modelled this computer because its possible that i could use it in the background or something for a future project.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/2004112022430_compren.j…]

roughly 1 hour

i may texture it later (infact i probably will, allredy layed out UVs) but its basic purpose was just keep me familiarised with maya and perhaps even improve my skills.

Now this thread is open to anyone and everyone to put their own little speed 3d projects in, do anything you like!! unlike pants i wont be doing this kind of thing daily myself (dont have the time) but hopefully some other people will take on this idea aswell.

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 22/11/04 - 6:04 AM Permalink

very good idea. i'll be in on it once i find a few hours spare in which to work on something!

Submitted by Falco on Tue, 23/11/04 - 7:48 AM Permalink

I was realy hanging out to see if any one was interested in speed modeling. This is great cause i've got a demo reel to fill and i've been modeling like crazy.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/Falco/2004112244230_Fast_Face.jpg"[/img]

I did this model in 1 hour and 30 minutes. Im not sure if thats speedy for this model. I was modeling with Camtsia running, and ive got to say nothing makes you model quicker when you know someone is gonna be watching your every move afterwards. You realy stop stuffing around. Not that I do that.

I should hopefully get som more stuff later.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 23/11/04 - 11:08 AM Permalink

Can I just hijack for a second :

Falco - I noticed your comment re you having a demo reel to fill, my advice to you would be not to use any piece of work as a 'filler' that is below the level of competency the rest of your reel shows, It stands out like dogs balls, and more importantly it portrays the image that your willing to produce something thats substandard.

Strive to find a good level of consistancy in your reel, if an area lacks like concepting, or animation - get someone else to animate your models or draw your concepts or model sheets and credit them accordingly.

Quality by MILES over quantity. It seems that alot of prospects are fueled by this urge to produce something in uber quick time - I guarantee that any director hiring a 3D modeller will pick the reel with 3 stunning models well textured and unanimated ( created over an undefined period of time ) over the reel that has 10 average models and 5 substandard models but were created in 2 weeks.

/end hijack!

The models look great! Great topic Moony [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 23/11/04 - 11:34 AM Permalink

agreed with Haz on the quality not quantity thing, not that im really the authority on that though :P and thats a pretty good looking model! good stuff :D

Submitted by Falco on Tue, 23/11/04 - 6:57 PM Permalink

Thanks for the tip HazarD. What I meant was that I have a short period of time to create quality models before the AGDC so I can show off my talent, and if I just happen to create something demo reel worthy in record time then I will put it here.

The model above was just for fun, but the one im working on now, (soon to be shown) is of a lot better quality and certinaly is not speed modelled.

I do have a question though. Should I show models here before I give them to employers?

Submitted by GoLDeN on Wed, 24/11/04 - 7:28 AM Permalink

I totaly agree with HazarD, very important to have textured and complete models rather than alot of nice renders of untextured items..shows you can take something to completion and stick with your ideas...etc.
Infact I would say sometimes that one really outstanding example, backed up by some other solid ones could be enough.

Still speed modeling is fun:)..and looks cool for the time you've taken..nice work.

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 24/11/04 - 12:06 PM Permalink

Yeah, this thread is a great idea [:)] ? I hope to see a few people trying new little modelling projects in here.

I tried to do a speed model tonight, but ended up spending over 2 hours and it?s still just a WIP. But at least this thread got me motivated to try something new!

It?s photo referenced from a Viking helm. It?s nowhere near finished, so just a quick shot in soft light to show what I'm doing.

It?s a touch over 1000 poly?s ATM.

[img]http://www.thoughtvalve.com/dl/mark/sumea/helm01.jpg[/img]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 24/11/04 - 12:47 PM Permalink

lol great to hear it pushed you to try something different, looking nice aswell

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 24/11/04 - 2:49 PM Permalink

Falco : Show your work in as many places as you can or at least as you feel comfortable with [:)] Seek constructive feedback from industry vets - CGtalk is really good for that. The only thing that I would advise against is unleashing any model tests given to you by possible employers for all the world to see.

Cant stress enough to get over the shyness of keeping your work to yourself - just slap it down like you own the place! [:D]

Great thread going here by the way - I'm thinking of speed modelling a Dwarf warrior. See what I come up with...

Palantir : Nice Helmet! always like armour design, its such a tricky bastard to get right. Especially if its supposed to work correctly [;)] Coming along nicely!

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 03/12/04 - 6:38 AM Permalink

Finished the helm. It was about 800 poly?s, but I decided it would look better with the bolt?s on the rim and the back panels done as geometry instead of a texture (looked a bit flat as a texture, as you can see on the textured bolts on the front), so now it?s 1022 tris. ?Probably a bit high though.

I have a question though (if anybody feels like answering):
All the poly?s point outward ? as in there are no poly?s on the inside of the helm, as you can see in the side view at the mouth piece. This is great for reducing the poly count, but would this be a problem in a game engine? Would missing tri?s cause any kind of problem, or is it standard practice to not put poly?s where they won?t be seen?

[img]http://www.thoughtvalve.com/nucleus/media/3/20041202-helm19.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 03/12/04 - 8:33 AM Permalink

Palantir : Nice helmet! The reflection looks really strong and saturated to me tho but nice design really like it [:)]

Regards the tri culling - it really does depend on the engine - most engines these days only render polygons that are facing the camera anyway, and allow for double sided faces, meaning the texture is aplied on both sides of the flat plane.

However - if something is going to be really obvious and you will quite likely see the back faces then IMO its best to put them in and give them a piece of texture space, rather than leave them out or have a mirror of the texture on the backface you can often get away with super optimised inner faces anyway.

Hope that helps [:D]

For the helmet above i would think once a human head is in there and your seeing the bloke at eye level and in-game - youd never be peering down into his helm anyway [:P] so its your call!

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 03/12/04 - 9:03 AM Permalink

Thanks [:)]. I?m pretty happy with the design. So much so that I?m tempted to design a suit of armour to match?

About the tri culling, yeah, I thought that would be the case ? I put a head in there and it looked fine, but I was wondering if it could cause problems. It works fine in the engine I?m testing with (an opengl 3d engine in development), but I don?t have experience with many other engines, so I wasn?t sure.

As for the reflection map ? yep, it?s way over done! It?s almost a flat mirror [:P]. I was experimenting with reflection maps when I did that ? just having some fun. I think I better tweak it!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 05/12/04 - 5:27 AM Permalink

Haz joins the speed 3d fun :P
nice little scene, if you were taking that any further you probably know for yourself that the feathers could just have easily been square planes that were alpha mapped. I do like the lighting and render setup, pretty cool :D

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 08/12/04 - 7:33 PM Permalink

I?m a bit late in responding here, but good work Haz. It makes me imagine a fantasy story to go with it ? very atmospheric. For instance, it could easily be the table of an apprentice magician or something?
Or maybe where Bilbo sat and wrote ?There and back again?..

Mithril Golem ? Looking forward to seeing that completed. [:)]

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 14/12/04 - 8:24 AM Permalink

Just a bit of fun (I love making weapons/armour) ? at about 70 minutes, this sword falls into the speed 3d category, so I thought I?d post it:
[img]http://www.thoughtvalve.com/nucleus/media/3/20041213-sword_hilt11.jpg[/…]

Posting here also gives me a chance to show an improved render of my last speed model (I started experimenting with the Strauss material mode, and killed most of the reflection, though the texture could use some rust or something..) :
[img]http://www.thoughtvalve.com/nucleus/media/3/20041208-helm21.jpg[/img]

I hope some of you post some more speed modelling. [:)]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 14/12/04 - 9:46 AM Permalink

i since i started this thread i should post more but ive been so busy! soon...
anyways thats a pretty awesome sword hilt, wd

Submitted by denz on Sat, 18/12/04 - 5:08 AM Permalink

Yeah I think speed with art is a good thing, cos it makes you not think about every little thing and more out of intuition [:)]

Hazard, that table scene rocks. are you going to texture it?

Nice sword palatnir.

Heres mine, just over an hr, zbrush from zspheres. I plan on finishing him then take him into silo for topology brush.

[IMG]http://img152.exs.cx/img152/5725/dude4ew.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 18/12/04 - 5:46 AM Permalink

just over an hour?? ive really got to look into zbrush sometime...

EDIT: ok updating time eh?

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/20051222040_compren2.jp…]
[img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/20051222125_sign2ren.jp…]

these are to be background objects in a little project of mine, the dodgy edges on the signposts are courtesy of photoshop not maya. btw if anyone can point me to a tutorial of how to apply spec and bump in maya id be gratefull. I know the theory just not how to implement it.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 20/01/06 - 11:00 PM Permalink

ze topic revival! [:0] for those whove forgotten, think speed paints but 3d instead.

making more background objects for another project. itsa me... watercooler!

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/2006119195754_watercool…]

the base of the thing dosent look that interesting but i dont suppose its really supposed to... prob textured soon (perhaps even today, also i know theres some 5+ sided polys, itll get triangulated in the end).

EDIT: whadda ya know, i did get it textured today. Sorry the renders a bit murky. In hindsight theres actually a lot of negative space in my UV map that i didnt think about when laying things out and some things were given way larger area then they required however all in all im pleased with the results and not to finicky about it as it is a background object.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200612041416_watercoole…] [img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/MoonUnit/200612041435_watercoole…]