Skip to main content

Mini Programmer Challenge #1

Submitted by redwyre on

The first Mini Programmer Challenge will start on July 31! You will have a week to complete the challenge and submit it. Subscribe to this thread to be kept up to date (I know how slack you guys are...) and I'll give more information closer to the date.

Submitted by redwyre on Wed, 02/08/06 - 1:22 AM Permalink

What's the challenge?
Write a program that can solve sudoku puzzles. The input will be a text file (9 rows of 9 digits, 0 being an unknown cell). The output can be displayed on screen (text console or a gui) or saved to a text file.

Why should I do this?
These challenges are an easy way to brush up on your coding skills. They may or may no be directly game related, and it's a good chance to do something you might not normally do. There is no "winning" as such.. but by participating and learning we all win!

How should I do it?
I guess there's no reason to restrict it to any language, but if you want others to use your program it's probably best not to use some obscure language with a 20MB runtime :)

When do I start?
Now!

When do I finish?
We'll make it the end of next week (13th). Work on it by yourself until the end of this week (6th), and then after that everone can discuss any problems they have encountered and/or solutions they have found.

Why didn't it start when you said it would?
I'm busy with work. And sleep.

Posted by redwyre on

The first Mini Programmer Challenge will start on July 31! You will have a week to complete the challenge and submit it. Subscribe to this thread to be kept up to date (I know how slack you guys are...) and I'll give more information closer to the date.

Submitted by redwyre on Wed, 02/08/06 - 1:22 AM Permalink

What's the challenge?
Write a program that can solve sudoku puzzles. The input will be a text file (9 rows of 9 digits, 0 being an unknown cell). The output can be displayed on screen (text console or a gui) or saved to a text file.

Why should I do this?
These challenges are an easy way to brush up on your coding skills. They may or may no be directly game related, and it's a good chance to do something you might not normally do. There is no "winning" as such.. but by participating and learning we all win!

How should I do it?
I guess there's no reason to restrict it to any language, but if you want others to use your program it's probably best not to use some obscure language with a 20MB runtime :)

When do I start?
Now!

When do I finish?
We'll make it the end of next week (13th). Work on it by yourself until the end of this week (6th), and then after that everone can discuss any problems they have encountered and/or solutions they have found.

Why didn't it start when you said it would?
I'm busy with work. And sleep.