Skip to main content

Dwarf Cleric Concept

Submitted by matias on

!!!LONG LOAD!!!
I finished my other dude and still had alot of creative energy left over so I said 'ok, draw a dwarven cleric' the main thing was to get this done with some reasonable time. I started at 3.30pm and finished drawing at 6pm. I was also interested in sketching straight with my tablet cause that came up sometime recently. Ok here it is...

My intial sketch to get the pose going.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DCC_sketch.jpg[/img]

Ok, this is the line art, fairly simple.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DCC_line.jpg[/img]

Then base colours.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DCC_basecolour.jpg[/img]

And then the final colour.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DCC_Final.jpg[/img]

Ok, anyone thats sees anything, tell me. I'm trying to get like a working thing going here. If you want different colours, tell me. Or if you want a detail of something, just so I can get a feel of incorporating other instructions from a higher power!

Cheers
Matias

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 22/03/04 - 7:26 AM Permalink

Well, being a cleric, I'd expect him to be covered in religious insignias.

Othat than that, I can't really think of anything I would add, really nice job on this guy.. I think with a few more touches, he'll be ready for modelling.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Mon, 22/03/04 - 7:59 AM Permalink

Solid work, but there's nothing that tells me he's a cleric, he could be just another dwarf skull crusher for all I know...

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 22/03/04 - 8:20 AM Permalink

Really nice artwork. Interesting to have a Dwarf as a Cleric as well.

Like Barry and Bob have said though, he doesn't look like much of a Cleric. He looks like a really cool gruff rogue though :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 22/03/04 - 8:57 AM Permalink

Nice drawing man, for adding some religousness, try perhaps a pole/staff with a banner/sybol (like the crosses on poles) strapped to his back or perhaps hand held. That just one idea, im sure you have many more

Its a damn fine drawing, reminds me of some blizzard concept work ive seen.

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 22/03/04 - 10:23 AM Permalink

Dude that rocks man!!!!!!!!

Tis a tad messy on the final sketch - i think it could be cleaned up a whole lot more before giving it to a modeller though - and as the others have said, he needs something more to say " OCH LADDY I BE A DWAAAARVAN CLEEARRRRIK! "

Honestly though - thats way better than i could do so keep practising and youll be workin for blizzard in no time :D

Submitted by matias on Mon, 22/03/04 - 11:18 AM Permalink

Ok, more insignia, I'm thinking about Morodin, the D&D drawven god, and yeah its a bit messy but I wanted to get him out there quickly, well, 2 1/2 hours, but still, faster than some of my stuff.
ok ok, I have alot on tommorow, but I'll make the changes ASAP, now I gotta wash my dishes and go to bed, as sweet, sweet bed! Man, it's not even late, I need a life!

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Mon, 22/03/04 - 11:45 AM Permalink

I would like to see something like him holding a holy symbol on a chain in his hand, if you want to make him like DND type clerics where the symbol is used for turning etc.

And er, in the front on view his belt is much higher, the side view has it better position IMO.

Submitted by matias on Tue, 23/03/04 - 1:30 AM Permalink

Hokay folks, take a gander, maybe could have made the changes a bit more obvious, but I agree with Barry's holy symbol a'la soap ona rope and chucked that in, sortof prayer beads style, but with the hammer of Moridin on it. I also moved the belt down a touch, gave him a shawly cloth thingy of blue and a tome, I was gonna do sort of decroations, like it was an illuminated manuscriptyish thing but thought bugger it! hah

[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DCC_Fin3.jpg[/img]

Submitted by hobonation on Tue, 23/03/04 - 2:37 AM Permalink

damn i hate u.....that is awesome. It looks like it came fresh out of the age of mythology concept art sketch book.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 23/03/04 - 3:41 AM Permalink

mate u have talent, don't let no one tell u differantly. Nice to see you have taken the advice and given him a chain in his hand as well.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 23/03/04 - 4:44 AM Permalink

man thats insane - i would draw one vastly different - you know what maybe we could setup something like this on sumea ??? where we pick a character style and we all give our own renditions of the paticular class ?? not a competition as such - more of a skill enhancing / idea swap type thing happening... how would people feel about something like that ?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 23/03/04 - 6:49 AM Permalink

a 2d comp would be fun, u should take that up with souri or something

that is absolutely awesome mate well done, the little of book and beads help. Youve created a great proportion setup for this character and given him a very lifelike look, well done.

Submitted by matias on Tue, 23/03/04 - 7:00 AM Permalink

thanks guys, man that would be sweet, maybe set it up as a quick activity or something. I mean its cool to think of something to draw but its better when its comes from another source!

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 23/03/04 - 7:53 AM Permalink

yeah i reckon we shoud set something up like that for the quick activities section - maybe have like a monthly or weekly challenge or something - always have something there to take part in,.. no prizes or anything - if a few people enter then maybe souri might be able to set up a comp.

reall depends on the amount of interest - i reckon it would be sweet, sepcially cos everyones drawing style seems to be really unique, but what makes it even cooler is that if you had a set guideline like DWARVEN CLERIC - i mean even tho the guidelines are pretty strict in that he has to be dwarven and a holy man of some sort - i mean nearly everyone would depict the dwarven cleric in their own way, resulting in a whole bunch of cool dwarven cleric guys - some with massive long beards and robes,.. others like matias's cool one up the page..

i reckon thats a sweet idea... ill mention it to souri.. how many people would be interested tho, cos i doubt souri will take it up if only 2 or 3 people are going to be keen.

we could keep it going for ages,.. D&D monster manual anyone ?? [:D]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 23/03/04 - 8:27 AM Permalink

Im interested, Im always interested in drawing.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Tue, 23/03/04 - 9:05 AM Permalink

Heck I might even give it a go when I get a bit more organised. Would be interesting to see how everyone interprets the subject, a dwarven cleric could be shown so many different ways.

Looking great BTW, only thing I maybe would add is the hammer symbol embossed on his left shoulder or something.

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 24/03/04 - 12:15 AM Permalink

yeah I'm about to do a D&D style character sketch for my folio- so if I had some predefined direction that would be good :)

maybe predefine a race and class, produce 3-4 (12?!)quick concepts and one final that would include 3/4 front and 3/4 rear views?

Matias: the colour on the last one is much better in my eyes. Breaks-up the forms more clearly. the only thing I would add is a handle, 'cause it is uncouth to throw dwarfs by their legs [;)]

Submitted by matias on Wed, 24/03/04 - 1:46 AM Permalink

Hahah, oh very PC, yeah, I like the colour in there too, if thats not too arrogant, I was gonna give him like a red beard but thought grey makes him look like he knows what he doing... sortof

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 24/03/04 - 7:07 AM Permalink

Looks good, sounds like fun a well.
You would have to explain somethings to me as I dont know anything about D&D characters and stuff!!

Submitted by matias on Wed, 24/03/04 - 9:51 AM Permalink

congratulations bullet, you ain't a geek! haha, its a pen and paper rpg, I was never good at it because I was too busy drawing my character[:)] go to wizards.com and check out the art gallery, awesome stuff I visit regularly(?), ignore all the other crap, check out the art! They have absolute shirtloads of fantasy interior illustrations!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 24/03/04 - 10:53 AM Permalink

D&D stands for Dungeouns & Dragons [:D] < is proud to know > and it fucken rocks!!!!!!!!!!

< has all oldschool SSI D&D games for pc >

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 24/03/04 - 11:04 AM Permalink

Yeah! 'Pools of Radiance' and that. They were spawned from D&D. I think it was like the second ever RPG (in a commercial sense... 'Doctors & Nurses' was never marketed commercially [;)]), and I have been lead to believe was based on 'Trolls and Tunnels'.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 24/03/04 - 11:32 PM Permalink

Yeah pools of radiance was pretty cool - my favouriet would have to be Champions of Krynn - i dunno how many times i played that game - got the dragonlance and started stabbing everything i could.

those were the days.... PC speaker and Tandy graphics [;)] they made a whole bunch of new ones with 256 colours i was like [8)] i think someone needs to make something along the lines of those oldschool games again - super addictive - super fun [:)]

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Thu, 25/03/04 - 8:38 AM Permalink

No, though there are many games based off it. It's a pen and paper game, roleplaying without computers, try to imagine it...

Honestly it is a heck of alot of fun if you get a good group to play with.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 25/03/04 - 8:42 AM Permalink

And dice! don't for get the dice!!!!

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 25/03/04 - 9:27 AM Permalink

Basic run down. Before RPGs were really popular on computers and consoles, you used to have to play them with pen, paper, dice (a lot of them) and some source books. There are pen and paper RPGs spawned from nearly any franchise you can imagine (various D&D, Buffy, Farscape, Warcraft, Vampire: The Masquerade, Marvel comics and even Robotech). You sit around with your friends and you have a person whop is the Dungeon Master/Game Master (DM/GM). You create characters and roll die to make your stats. You then have the DM tell a story and say what monsters will appear in the story. You roll die and fight them. As you can guess, this is very nerdy and takes a lot of time. It isn't just something that you do on an odd occasion. D&D is still the most popular RPG with the most well known rules. It is just based off Tolkien's worlds, but has been extended quite a bit. There are also variations to the D&D rules (AD&D, d20, and more). They are fairly similar with slight differences.

If you want to play some D&D games but don't want all the nerdiness attached to them, then check out some PC versions (Baldurs Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape Torment). Neverwinter Nights is probably the best place to start as the rules are fairly simple, it is AD&D v3 rules, so you have heaps of character options. It is also 3D, so many people find it to be the most attractive :)

I hope I covered most things. Please correct me if I messed anything up :)

I really find it interesting that you decided to make the Cleric a Dwarf. Such a flaw :)

Posted by matias on

!!!LONG LOAD!!!
I finished my other dude and still had alot of creative energy left over so I said 'ok, draw a dwarven cleric' the main thing was to get this done with some reasonable time. I started at 3.30pm and finished drawing at 6pm. I was also interested in sketching straight with my tablet cause that came up sometime recently. Ok here it is...

My intial sketch to get the pose going.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DCC_sketch.jpg[/img]

Ok, this is the line art, fairly simple.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DCC_line.jpg[/img]

Then base colours.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DCC_basecolour.jpg[/img]

And then the final colour.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DCC_Final.jpg[/img]

Ok, anyone thats sees anything, tell me. I'm trying to get like a working thing going here. If you want different colours, tell me. Or if you want a detail of something, just so I can get a feel of incorporating other instructions from a higher power!

Cheers
Matias

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Mon, 22/03/04 - 7:26 AM Permalink

Well, being a cleric, I'd expect him to be covered in religious insignias.

Othat than that, I can't really think of anything I would add, really nice job on this guy.. I think with a few more touches, he'll be ready for modelling.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Mon, 22/03/04 - 7:59 AM Permalink

Solid work, but there's nothing that tells me he's a cleric, he could be just another dwarf skull crusher for all I know...

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 22/03/04 - 8:20 AM Permalink

Really nice artwork. Interesting to have a Dwarf as a Cleric as well.

Like Barry and Bob have said though, he doesn't look like much of a Cleric. He looks like a really cool gruff rogue though :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 22/03/04 - 8:57 AM Permalink

Nice drawing man, for adding some religousness, try perhaps a pole/staff with a banner/sybol (like the crosses on poles) strapped to his back or perhaps hand held. That just one idea, im sure you have many more

Its a damn fine drawing, reminds me of some blizzard concept work ive seen.

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 22/03/04 - 10:23 AM Permalink

Dude that rocks man!!!!!!!!

Tis a tad messy on the final sketch - i think it could be cleaned up a whole lot more before giving it to a modeller though - and as the others have said, he needs something more to say " OCH LADDY I BE A DWAAAARVAN CLEEARRRRIK! "

Honestly though - thats way better than i could do so keep practising and youll be workin for blizzard in no time :D

Submitted by matias on Mon, 22/03/04 - 11:18 AM Permalink

Ok, more insignia, I'm thinking about Morodin, the D&D drawven god, and yeah its a bit messy but I wanted to get him out there quickly, well, 2 1/2 hours, but still, faster than some of my stuff.
ok ok, I have alot on tommorow, but I'll make the changes ASAP, now I gotta wash my dishes and go to bed, as sweet, sweet bed! Man, it's not even late, I need a life!

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Mon, 22/03/04 - 11:45 AM Permalink

I would like to see something like him holding a holy symbol on a chain in his hand, if you want to make him like DND type clerics where the symbol is used for turning etc.

And er, in the front on view his belt is much higher, the side view has it better position IMO.

Submitted by matias on Tue, 23/03/04 - 1:30 AM Permalink

Hokay folks, take a gander, maybe could have made the changes a bit more obvious, but I agree with Barry's holy symbol a'la soap ona rope and chucked that in, sortof prayer beads style, but with the hammer of Moridin on it. I also moved the belt down a touch, gave him a shawly cloth thingy of blue and a tome, I was gonna do sort of decroations, like it was an illuminated manuscriptyish thing but thought bugger it! hah

[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DCC_Fin3.jpg[/img]

Submitted by hobonation on Tue, 23/03/04 - 2:37 AM Permalink

damn i hate u.....that is awesome. It looks like it came fresh out of the age of mythology concept art sketch book.

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 23/03/04 - 3:41 AM Permalink

mate u have talent, don't let no one tell u differantly. Nice to see you have taken the advice and given him a chain in his hand as well.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 23/03/04 - 4:44 AM Permalink

man thats insane - i would draw one vastly different - you know what maybe we could setup something like this on sumea ??? where we pick a character style and we all give our own renditions of the paticular class ?? not a competition as such - more of a skill enhancing / idea swap type thing happening... how would people feel about something like that ?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 23/03/04 - 6:49 AM Permalink

a 2d comp would be fun, u should take that up with souri or something

that is absolutely awesome mate well done, the little of book and beads help. Youve created a great proportion setup for this character and given him a very lifelike look, well done.

Submitted by matias on Tue, 23/03/04 - 7:00 AM Permalink

thanks guys, man that would be sweet, maybe set it up as a quick activity or something. I mean its cool to think of something to draw but its better when its comes from another source!

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 23/03/04 - 7:53 AM Permalink

yeah i reckon we shoud set something up like that for the quick activities section - maybe have like a monthly or weekly challenge or something - always have something there to take part in,.. no prizes or anything - if a few people enter then maybe souri might be able to set up a comp.

reall depends on the amount of interest - i reckon it would be sweet, sepcially cos everyones drawing style seems to be really unique, but what makes it even cooler is that if you had a set guideline like DWARVEN CLERIC - i mean even tho the guidelines are pretty strict in that he has to be dwarven and a holy man of some sort - i mean nearly everyone would depict the dwarven cleric in their own way, resulting in a whole bunch of cool dwarven cleric guys - some with massive long beards and robes,.. others like matias's cool one up the page..

i reckon thats a sweet idea... ill mention it to souri.. how many people would be interested tho, cos i doubt souri will take it up if only 2 or 3 people are going to be keen.

we could keep it going for ages,.. D&D monster manual anyone ?? [:D]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 23/03/04 - 8:27 AM Permalink

Im interested, Im always interested in drawing.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Tue, 23/03/04 - 9:05 AM Permalink

Heck I might even give it a go when I get a bit more organised. Would be interesting to see how everyone interprets the subject, a dwarven cleric could be shown so many different ways.

Looking great BTW, only thing I maybe would add is the hammer symbol embossed on his left shoulder or something.

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 24/03/04 - 12:15 AM Permalink

yeah I'm about to do a D&D style character sketch for my folio- so if I had some predefined direction that would be good :)

maybe predefine a race and class, produce 3-4 (12?!)quick concepts and one final that would include 3/4 front and 3/4 rear views?

Matias: the colour on the last one is much better in my eyes. Breaks-up the forms more clearly. the only thing I would add is a handle, 'cause it is uncouth to throw dwarfs by their legs [;)]

Submitted by matias on Wed, 24/03/04 - 1:46 AM Permalink

Hahah, oh very PC, yeah, I like the colour in there too, if thats not too arrogant, I was gonna give him like a red beard but thought grey makes him look like he knows what he doing... sortof

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 24/03/04 - 7:07 AM Permalink

Looks good, sounds like fun a well.
You would have to explain somethings to me as I dont know anything about D&D characters and stuff!!

Submitted by matias on Wed, 24/03/04 - 9:51 AM Permalink

congratulations bullet, you ain't a geek! haha, its a pen and paper rpg, I was never good at it because I was too busy drawing my character[:)] go to wizards.com and check out the art gallery, awesome stuff I visit regularly(?), ignore all the other crap, check out the art! They have absolute shirtloads of fantasy interior illustrations!!

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 24/03/04 - 10:53 AM Permalink

D&D stands for Dungeouns & Dragons [:D] < is proud to know > and it fucken rocks!!!!!!!!!!

< has all oldschool SSI D&D games for pc >

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 24/03/04 - 11:04 AM Permalink

Yeah! 'Pools of Radiance' and that. They were spawned from D&D. I think it was like the second ever RPG (in a commercial sense... 'Doctors & Nurses' was never marketed commercially [;)]), and I have been lead to believe was based on 'Trolls and Tunnels'.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 24/03/04 - 11:32 PM Permalink

Yeah pools of radiance was pretty cool - my favouriet would have to be Champions of Krynn - i dunno how many times i played that game - got the dragonlance and started stabbing everything i could.

those were the days.... PC speaker and Tandy graphics [;)] they made a whole bunch of new ones with 256 colours i was like [8)] i think someone needs to make something along the lines of those oldschool games again - super addictive - super fun [:)]

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Thu, 25/03/04 - 8:38 AM Permalink

No, though there are many games based off it. It's a pen and paper game, roleplaying without computers, try to imagine it...

Honestly it is a heck of alot of fun if you get a good group to play with.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 25/03/04 - 8:42 AM Permalink

And dice! don't for get the dice!!!!

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 25/03/04 - 9:27 AM Permalink

Basic run down. Before RPGs were really popular on computers and consoles, you used to have to play them with pen, paper, dice (a lot of them) and some source books. There are pen and paper RPGs spawned from nearly any franchise you can imagine (various D&D, Buffy, Farscape, Warcraft, Vampire: The Masquerade, Marvel comics and even Robotech). You sit around with your friends and you have a person whop is the Dungeon Master/Game Master (DM/GM). You create characters and roll die to make your stats. You then have the DM tell a story and say what monsters will appear in the story. You roll die and fight them. As you can guess, this is very nerdy and takes a lot of time. It isn't just something that you do on an odd occasion. D&D is still the most popular RPG with the most well known rules. It is just based off Tolkien's worlds, but has been extended quite a bit. There are also variations to the D&D rules (AD&D, d20, and more). They are fairly similar with slight differences.

If you want to play some D&D games but don't want all the nerdiness attached to them, then check out some PC versions (Baldurs Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape Torment). Neverwinter Nights is probably the best place to start as the rules are fairly simple, it is AD&D v3 rules, so you have heaps of character options. It is also 3D, so many people find it to be the most attractive :)

I hope I covered most things. Please correct me if I messed anything up :)

I really find it interesting that you decided to make the Cleric a Dwarf. Such a flaw :)