Skip to main content

Art Thief

Forum

Apparently this guy named Chris Runyon has been stealing work from other artists and sticking it in his portfolio, he has been going from job to job but he eventually got caught.

More Info Here (link updated, thread was moved):
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?s=1b068d1b0ef1ff8af60fa…

His current website/portfolio:
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/m/r/mrchris/mrchris.html

And the work he stole:
http://www.conceptart.org/fraud/

You can try Eatpoo for more info as well.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 21/08/03 - 11:44 PM Permalink

omg!
why the hell would you do that - you get a job saying you can do that work then on your first day you sit there like an idiot not having a clue what to do.

looks like the guy will have to change his name, seems a lot of companies have blacklisted him lol.

Submitted by Jacana on Thu, 21/08/03 - 11:49 PM Permalink

I think one or two of those pieces he stole where mine!

Err wait... I am a programmer not an artist.

DOH!

Submitted by souri on Fri, 22/08/03 - 12:25 AM Permalink

Some really good concept art there.. A lot of the works are done by pencil or are painted, so I wonder if any creative directors hiring him wondered why he didn't have the original copies of the work to show. The art shows some really good skills in anatomy, so if I was a creative director, and he came along, I'd ask him to do a quick concept sketch..

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 22/08/03 - 12:40 AM Permalink

OMG thats sad [:(] and how embarrassing !!! and his name had to be chris as well [:(] !!!!
LOL BLACKLISTED for life.......... he deserved it....

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 22/08/03 - 3:43 AM Permalink

What a sad little man!
Anyone who needs to resort to plagarism for any reason is a first class loser.
He's totally done a number on himself though, he'll never get into the industry now.

Actually this is the third such case I've heard of in the last few weeks!! None as bad as this guy though.

Looks like theres been a graduation at Idiot Valley High School, welcome to the world 'Class of 2003'!

Submitted by tomcat on Wed, 27/08/03 - 4:01 AM Permalink

anyone know his home address?

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 27/08/03 - 10:09 AM Permalink

He worked at Raven, and the rumour is, that he was the guy that leaked the Q4 stuff.. Real popular guy eh.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 27/08/03 - 10:22 AM Permalink

yeah he is that guy. activision are after him.
haha what a [B)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 27/08/03 - 11:22 AM Permalink

any other sites with info on him?

i've only seen the polycount stuff.. can't find the others (most has been taken down)

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 27/08/03 - 11:11 PM Permalink

Thats the rat, what a fool, seems he was lying to himself back then too.

Wonder if hes come out of hiding yet, imagine his life if someone found his picture!?

He'd never be able to walk the streets again, poor fool, lol.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Thu, 28/08/03 - 1:37 AM Permalink

I wonder if he is stupid enough to go to the next E3. I'm told he was showing his fake portfolio at the last one.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 28/08/03 - 1:47 AM Permalink

judging by his track record he probably would, but also is stupid enough to hand his portfolio to someone whos work he ripped off.[xx(]

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 28/08/03 - 2:07 AM Permalink

lol !! i wonder if the artists he ripped stuff off sued his arsE ?

Submitted by Cloud on Tue, 02/09/03 - 7:46 AM Permalink

What a sad, strange little man!
That is all I have to say.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 13/09/03 - 10:46 AM Permalink

so now people dont only know his name but know what he looks like.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 13/09/03 - 12:34 PM Permalink

Yup, I think thats one step too far :P

As I recall, there were a number of 'Chris Runyons' out there doing art stuff.. Even if it's the correct one, I don't think posting his pic really does anything positive.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob (not verified) on Sat, 13/09/03 - 2:03 PM Permalink

I don't think its going to far, just giving all art directors the heads up tis a good thing "just removing a cancer" from the art community.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 14/09/03 - 9:37 AM Permalink

so this is the chris runyon that did all the plagiarism?

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 15/09/03 - 7:23 PM Permalink

Dit: Look I believe the guy should be drawn and quartered for what hes done but theres a point when we should all let the guy get on with his life, or whats left of it.

The guys life is screwed up enough without linch mobs coming after him.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 15/09/03 - 7:46 PM Permalink

I think the biggest problem with threads like this is that there is no proof of the theft. If any 1 thing is wrong along this chain of information then the guy is being attacked wrongly.

What if his name was reported incorrectly by accident or on purpose.
What if the events leading to his being found out never happened, there is no proof just a report, some one typed that it happened. Even the most credible sources get things wrong or are capable of lying.

What I?m trying to say is that as much as I hate plagiarism and as much as it galls me to think a guy is running around applying for my dream jobs using stolen work, there is no proof available to us. The guy has no court conviction and he is innocent till proven guilty. It is not up to us or our community to damage a persons life and reputation by the spreading of possibly disinformation.

I think we should let it go and let those who believe they have a case against him take it through the right channels.

Mob justice is just wrong people.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 16/09/03 - 4:04 AM Permalink

I removed the pic, even if he indeed did do what is implied thats just a bit more torture than the guy deserved.

How about we let him try and survive beyond his mistakes.

Im sure if he is responsible he's learnt his lesson by now and is paying for it.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 16/09/03 - 10:17 PM Permalink

Man, did that guy ever get burnt or what!!!
That will teach him (and hopefully anyone else)

Forum

Apparently this guy named Chris Runyon has been stealing work from other artists and sticking it in his portfolio, he has been going from job to job but he eventually got caught.

More Info Here (link updated, thread was moved):
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?s=1b068d1b0ef1ff8af60fa…

His current website/portfolio:
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/m/r/mrchris/mrchris.html

And the work he stole:
http://www.conceptart.org/fraud/

You can try Eatpoo for more info as well.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 21/08/03 - 11:44 PM Permalink

omg!
why the hell would you do that - you get a job saying you can do that work then on your first day you sit there like an idiot not having a clue what to do.

looks like the guy will have to change his name, seems a lot of companies have blacklisted him lol.

Submitted by Jacana on Thu, 21/08/03 - 11:49 PM Permalink

I think one or two of those pieces he stole where mine!

Err wait... I am a programmer not an artist.

DOH!

Submitted by souri on Fri, 22/08/03 - 12:25 AM Permalink

Some really good concept art there.. A lot of the works are done by pencil or are painted, so I wonder if any creative directors hiring him wondered why he didn't have the original copies of the work to show. The art shows some really good skills in anatomy, so if I was a creative director, and he came along, I'd ask him to do a quick concept sketch..

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 22/08/03 - 12:40 AM Permalink

OMG thats sad [:(] and how embarrassing !!! and his name had to be chris as well [:(] !!!!
LOL BLACKLISTED for life.......... he deserved it....

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 22/08/03 - 3:43 AM Permalink

What a sad little man!
Anyone who needs to resort to plagarism for any reason is a first class loser.
He's totally done a number on himself though, he'll never get into the industry now.

Actually this is the third such case I've heard of in the last few weeks!! None as bad as this guy though.

Looks like theres been a graduation at Idiot Valley High School, welcome to the world 'Class of 2003'!

Submitted by tomcat on Wed, 27/08/03 - 4:01 AM Permalink

anyone know his home address?

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 27/08/03 - 10:09 AM Permalink

He worked at Raven, and the rumour is, that he was the guy that leaked the Q4 stuff.. Real popular guy eh.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 27/08/03 - 10:22 AM Permalink

yeah he is that guy. activision are after him.
haha what a [B)]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 27/08/03 - 11:22 AM Permalink

any other sites with info on him?

i've only seen the polycount stuff.. can't find the others (most has been taken down)

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 27/08/03 - 11:11 PM Permalink

Thats the rat, what a fool, seems he was lying to himself back then too.

Wonder if hes come out of hiding yet, imagine his life if someone found his picture!?

He'd never be able to walk the streets again, poor fool, lol.

Submitted by Happy Camper on Thu, 28/08/03 - 1:37 AM Permalink

I wonder if he is stupid enough to go to the next E3. I'm told he was showing his fake portfolio at the last one.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 28/08/03 - 1:47 AM Permalink

judging by his track record he probably would, but also is stupid enough to hand his portfolio to someone whos work he ripped off.[xx(]

Submitted by Ninja on Thu, 28/08/03 - 2:07 AM Permalink

lol !! i wonder if the artists he ripped stuff off sued his arsE ?

Submitted by Cloud on Tue, 02/09/03 - 7:46 AM Permalink

What a sad, strange little man!
That is all I have to say.

Submitted by inglis on Sat, 13/09/03 - 10:46 AM Permalink

so now people dont only know his name but know what he looks like.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sat, 13/09/03 - 12:34 PM Permalink

Yup, I think thats one step too far :P

As I recall, there were a number of 'Chris Runyons' out there doing art stuff.. Even if it's the correct one, I don't think posting his pic really does anything positive.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob (not verified) on Sat, 13/09/03 - 2:03 PM Permalink

I don't think its going to far, just giving all art directors the heads up tis a good thing "just removing a cancer" from the art community.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 14/09/03 - 9:37 AM Permalink

so this is the chris runyon that did all the plagiarism?

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 15/09/03 - 7:23 PM Permalink

Dit: Look I believe the guy should be drawn and quartered for what hes done but theres a point when we should all let the guy get on with his life, or whats left of it.

The guys life is screwed up enough without linch mobs coming after him.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 15/09/03 - 7:46 PM Permalink

I think the biggest problem with threads like this is that there is no proof of the theft. If any 1 thing is wrong along this chain of information then the guy is being attacked wrongly.

What if his name was reported incorrectly by accident or on purpose.
What if the events leading to his being found out never happened, there is no proof just a report, some one typed that it happened. Even the most credible sources get things wrong or are capable of lying.

What I?m trying to say is that as much as I hate plagiarism and as much as it galls me to think a guy is running around applying for my dream jobs using stolen work, there is no proof available to us. The guy has no court conviction and he is innocent till proven guilty. It is not up to us or our community to damage a persons life and reputation by the spreading of possibly disinformation.

I think we should let it go and let those who believe they have a case against him take it through the right channels.

Mob justice is just wrong people.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 16/09/03 - 4:04 AM Permalink

I removed the pic, even if he indeed did do what is implied thats just a bit more torture than the guy deserved.

How about we let him try and survive beyond his mistakes.

Im sure if he is responsible he's learnt his lesson by now and is paying for it.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 16/09/03 - 10:17 PM Permalink

Man, did that guy ever get burnt or what!!!
That will teach him (and hopefully anyone else)