Skip to main content

Bounty Hunter

• This is/was my entry to the gameartisans.org kingdom hearts war mini comp, had alot of fun doing this model even with the delays and frustrations =( sculpting for a day, then not being able to get a normal map to work properly =( etc

but…

• This hopefully is a screen grab of my character entry

Submitted by kit11 on

Finished modeling this a few weeks but have had trouble rigging and animating in maya, (used max last year) but hopefully soon ill have it all posed up =)

Submitted by DaneORoo on Wed, 20/08/08 - 1:34 PM Permalink

Ok, I'm not sure if you were aiming for a characture, but It's came out looking very out of proportion.

Ok, the nitty gritty:

You poly distribution is terrible, more importantly around the face, and the model is incredibly subdivided for it's silhouette. 7000+ is by no means epically gigantic these days, but for a character of that detail, you could have gotten around 1500 triangles at least.

The textures need to be pushed further than photosourcing and slapping basic mats down.

I'm going to jump ahead here and assume this is one of your first bipeds. If so, it's pretty decent as a finished product, but you really do need to just keep making more stuff and push yourself further.

Submitted by kit11 on Sun, 24/08/08 - 3:56 PM Permalink

Thanx for the comments yeah its only my 3rd finished character and my 1st one in maya. Im not much of a drawer, which is why its probably out of proportion. Thank you for your honesty, ive been studying at AIE melb and they seem more interested in the money im paying then actually helping and giving advice on how to do things properly, hopefully over this next modeling challenge i can post some WIP and pick up a lot of tips from the more experienced people on this forum =)
do you know of any good tutorials i could look at for game characters??

once again thank you for the honesty

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 25/08/08 - 10:44 PM Permalink

Hey Brad, its me Cody from lasts years class:) How are you? Hope AIE is going good..... Anyways, nice job on the character, espically when its only the 3rd one u have completed. I am assuming you already know where the flaws in this model are, mainly the poly flow and distribution. You could of easily got the same result with a lot less tris. Search through the net next time and try find some good orthos and squish and squash your own to try match the correct ones.
The textures don't fit eachother, you have photosourced pants and it seems to be hand painted textures for the other parts and of the model. Keep consitency with the model, look at other models similar to the one you are creating and understand how they modeled a certain area or how they achieved that texture.
Looking good though man, keep it up, best of luck at AIE....
www.poopinmymouth.com is a very good resource, i pretty much self taught myself of that website, give it a go:) PS: Do you have MSN? If so add me, codyalday@hotmail.com

Submitted by DaneORoo on Tue, 26/08/08 - 8:48 PM Permalink

Yeah dude, tbh those institutions are a total load of shit and are just there to push paper and keep people in jobs. If you really want to get good at 3d or game art, really devote yourself to learning, and apply for mod teams, get experience with other people and really develop further.

90 percent of the big game companies don't care at all about degrees and certificates, hell, I know a guy I used to work in a mod team with who's now working at epic games as a hard surface modeller, had no qualifications other than his high school diploma.

Also, get registered at some forums.

www.polycount.com is probably the best. Pro game devs from all sorts of studios, bungie, epic, rockstar, raven, loads of em go there and share work and critiques. Hang around there long enough and work hard enough and you'll start developing a higher standard of work, and maybe meet some people if they like your style and think you have promise.

Dane Brennand - Texture Artist

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 26/08/08 - 11:46 PM Permalink

Have friends taking 2nd year programming, whoare experiencing similar experience on "taking money and let you defend for yourself" type feeling.

Aka they seem to be learning more from doing their own stuff than doing AIE related projects. I try to help em out at times as well when I can (bit tricky working full time as a programmer myself though)

Posted by kit11 on

Finished modeling this a few weeks but have had trouble rigging and animating in maya, (used max last year) but hopefully soon ill have it all posed up =)

Submitted by DaneORoo on Wed, 20/08/08 - 1:34 PM Permalink

Ok, I'm not sure if you were aiming for a characture, but It's came out looking very out of proportion.

Ok, the nitty gritty:

You poly distribution is terrible, more importantly around the face, and the model is incredibly subdivided for it's silhouette. 7000+ is by no means epically gigantic these days, but for a character of that detail, you could have gotten around 1500 triangles at least.

The textures need to be pushed further than photosourcing and slapping basic mats down.

I'm going to jump ahead here and assume this is one of your first bipeds. If so, it's pretty decent as a finished product, but you really do need to just keep making more stuff and push yourself further.

Submitted by kit11 on Sun, 24/08/08 - 3:56 PM Permalink

Thanx for the comments yeah its only my 3rd finished character and my 1st one in maya. Im not much of a drawer, which is why its probably out of proportion. Thank you for your honesty, ive been studying at AIE melb and they seem more interested in the money im paying then actually helping and giving advice on how to do things properly, hopefully over this next modeling challenge i can post some WIP and pick up a lot of tips from the more experienced people on this forum =)
do you know of any good tutorials i could look at for game characters??

once again thank you for the honesty

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 25/08/08 - 10:44 PM Permalink

Hey Brad, its me Cody from lasts years class:) How are you? Hope AIE is going good..... Anyways, nice job on the character, espically when its only the 3rd one u have completed. I am assuming you already know where the flaws in this model are, mainly the poly flow and distribution. You could of easily got the same result with a lot less tris. Search through the net next time and try find some good orthos and squish and squash your own to try match the correct ones.
The textures don't fit eachother, you have photosourced pants and it seems to be hand painted textures for the other parts and of the model. Keep consitency with the model, look at other models similar to the one you are creating and understand how they modeled a certain area or how they achieved that texture.
Looking good though man, keep it up, best of luck at AIE....
www.poopinmymouth.com is a very good resource, i pretty much self taught myself of that website, give it a go:) PS: Do you have MSN? If so add me, codyalday@hotmail.com

Submitted by DaneORoo on Tue, 26/08/08 - 8:48 PM Permalink

Yeah dude, tbh those institutions are a total load of shit and are just there to push paper and keep people in jobs. If you really want to get good at 3d or game art, really devote yourself to learning, and apply for mod teams, get experience with other people and really develop further.

90 percent of the big game companies don't care at all about degrees and certificates, hell, I know a guy I used to work in a mod team with who's now working at epic games as a hard surface modeller, had no qualifications other than his high school diploma.

Also, get registered at some forums.

www.polycount.com is probably the best. Pro game devs from all sorts of studios, bungie, epic, rockstar, raven, loads of em go there and share work and critiques. Hang around there long enough and work hard enough and you'll start developing a higher standard of work, and maybe meet some people if they like your style and think you have promise.

Dane Brennand - Texture Artist

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 26/08/08 - 11:46 PM Permalink

Have friends taking 2nd year programming, whoare experiencing similar experience on "taking money and let you defend for yourself" type feeling.

Aka they seem to be learning more from doing their own stuff than doing AIE related projects. I try to help em out at times as well when I can (bit tricky working full time as a programmer myself though)