Skip to main content

Beware scammers!

Submitted by Red 5 on
Forum

I get my fair share of the usual email scams, the type that are so blatantly obvious that you'd have to be a complete nut job to even think twice about them (people wanting to offload millions of $$$ from overseas accounts etc), but lately I've noticed a different breed of scam, ones that at first appear to be more on the level, and they're targeting business's such as game developers expressing an interest in investing in the recipients company or offering all sorts of business propositions.

They'll take the name of a high profile CFO from a large company and even set up a return email address in that person's name - although the address will supposedly have their private details (so you won't see the company name in it). They welcome you to search the net to see for yourself that they do in fact exist (this is a certain givaway as far as I'm concerned) and they even supply phone, fax numbers and company details... just thought I'd post this in case anyone else is getting these types of emails, and if so to be very suspicious.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Sun, 26/02/06 - 2:19 AM Permalink

Fraudulent folk scamming the Aus games industry? someone should inform the government, that's their job! ... then again it could be one of their sub branches.

Submitted by WiffleCube on Mon, 27/02/06 - 2:59 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Jackydablunt

Fraudulent folk scamming the Aus games industry? someone should inform the government, that's their job! ... then again it could be one of their sub branches.

Ok, Agent Mulder [:p].

Submitted by lorien on Tue, 07/03/06 - 9:06 AM Permalink

Umm I'm afraid the wonderful revelations and the anonymous psychopath(s) in the EGA comments along with this thread started by a reputable sumea member make me add two and two together a little [:(][:(!][:X][?]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/03/06 - 3:03 AM Permalink

Yeh, scams seem to be more prolific and targetted in nature these days. Over the years, I've been a recipient for the domain name scam (was sent 3 letters urging to re-register), phishing scams (how the heck did they get my email address, and I can see how people could get easily fooled), and numerous emails like what you mentioned with Sumea. It's always a good idea to keep your guard up.

Posted by Red 5 on
Forum

I get my fair share of the usual email scams, the type that are so blatantly obvious that you'd have to be a complete nut job to even think twice about them (people wanting to offload millions of $$$ from overseas accounts etc), but lately I've noticed a different breed of scam, ones that at first appear to be more on the level, and they're targeting business's such as game developers expressing an interest in investing in the recipients company or offering all sorts of business propositions.

They'll take the name of a high profile CFO from a large company and even set up a return email address in that person's name - although the address will supposedly have their private details (so you won't see the company name in it). They welcome you to search the net to see for yourself that they do in fact exist (this is a certain givaway as far as I'm concerned) and they even supply phone, fax numbers and company details... just thought I'd post this in case anyone else is getting these types of emails, and if so to be very suspicious.

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Sun, 26/02/06 - 2:19 AM Permalink

Submitted by WiffleCube on Mon, 27/02/06 - 2:59 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Jackydablunt

Ok, Agent Mulder [:p].

Submitted by lorien on Tue, 07/03/06 - 9:06 AM Permalink

Umm I'm afraid the wonderful revelations and the anonymous psychopath(s) in the EGA comments along with this thread started by a reputable sumea member make me add two and two together a little [:(][:(!][:X][?]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/03/06 - 3:03 AM Permalink

Yeh, scams seem to be more prolific and targetted in nature these days. Over the years, I've been a recipient for the domain name scam (was sent 3 letters urging to re-register), phishing scams (how the heck did they get my email address, and I can see how people could get easily fooled), and numerous emails like what you mentioned with Sumea. It's always a good idea to keep your guard up.