Skip to main content

Lifelike animation heralds new era for computer games

• the tsumea app is finally here for iOS (iPhone, iPad)! Everything you have on here (Gamedev jobs, Member's art, Industry listings) and more! It's free and there's no ad tracking. Get it now!

• tsumea now has a new section where those looking for work (including students who've graduated or are nearing graduation) can get listed so potential employers can know who's out there and available…

• Earlier this year, we completed the mammoth task of migrating and rebuilding tsumea so that it was set on a new solid foundation that we could build upon. One of the…

• We have an official Discord channel! The primary purpose of our discord channel will be for website support (account creation issues, suggestions etc), as well as for disseminating our job posts and news. We have a fair few avenues for our users…

• Just a quick notice to let everyone know that you can post News again on tsumea. This feature was  disabled quite some time ago when we stopped posting daily news and reports on tsumea since it was such a time consuming procedure for our…

• Well, it's done and it's working! The new tsumea has been months of arduous work, a whole lot of which went into migrating the data, and planning and rebuilding the site all over again. But now it's a whole lot more structured, organised, and…

• Well, the forum has certainly been a sore point of the site for quite some time now. It used to be one of the most active parts of tsumea for a good part of a decade, but a whole lot of factors have contributed to its slow decline. Forum fatigue…

• For the last couple of years, we've been on auto-pilot (development wise) on tsumea, settling on a smaller focus for the site. A bunch of the features that we've had since the site began (news, articles, events, media, and games listing) were…

• Hi there folks, I thought I'd write a little bit about the new games section on tsumea that I’ve been working on for the last two and a bit weeks. This will be in two parts, the first will be a look back at the various iterations at the games…

• This is an example post for a devlog. Just post a journal and tag it with your game title and it will show up there.

Submitted by tsumea on
Forum

Ok, this seems to be doing the rounds on various news sites, so I'll post it here if anyone hasn't seen it. It looks pretty spectacular, but what they're sorta not telling you in that article is that only the facial area is computer generated. They filmed an actress, scanned her facial expressions, and plonked it straight back on her face.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article455793…

Higher-res video here:
http://www.awntv.com/videos/image-metrics-emily-project

They claim it's a leap over the uncanny valley problem, but it's a sort of a cop-out solution I think, since they're basically scanning a face and rendering it again.

It reminds me, Team Bondi has some facial scanning technology that they've patented (revealed in a job news item). Would be curious to see that when L.A Noire sees its release.

Submitted by StephenWade on Tue, 19/08/08 - 8:10 PM Permalink

Well, it's not as 'non-trivial' as you might expect.

Detecting common features from a 'transient' image (like video) and then using those features as 'markers' from one frame to a next, then mapping both the geometric data and then the texture data onto the geometry (rather than motion capture, which has physical markers present in the image data to do all this) is a pretty cool little application of transform methods and signal processing. What benefits this has would depend on the system of capture used, how much data you can collect and process etc etc

I'm certain it has been covered in research already. However, obviously there are many ways to implement it an 'image metrics' is simply one system devised for this purpose. I really would have to take a closer look at it to work out whether it gets my tick of approval or not.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 21/08/08 - 9:53 AM Permalink

I just had a quick look a the footage. Her face looks heavily botoxed or something! Especially on the cheeks when the face smiles. Not Quite there yet i think.

Submitted by DaneORoo on Thu, 21/08/08 - 3:20 PM Permalink

God dammit, why are Pixar the only people who seem to be able to do eyes properly?

Her face smiles, but her eyes don't. It's missing all those slight varied tiny movements our eyes make that we don't notice. You do however notice those movements once they're gone.

The material and the render is actually epic though, just the eyes and the lips really ruin the animation for me.

Dane Brennand - Texture Artist

Submitted by StephenWade on Fri, 22/08/08 - 5:15 PM Permalink

They are saying that this is what the technology is supposed to capture; a more 'continual' and subtle control over the movements and expressions - that is eyelids, lips, etc. I think as far as digital processes go it's a leap forward. It's not very realistic, (try watching it with the sound turned off!) however the speed and cost with which they can produce the quality shown is pretty awesome.

Digital solutions become cheaper and cheaper as time goes on, so this method of image capture and processing is going to be the status quo soon, even if it might be considered non-comparable to some other current methods that require more human/analogue control at the moment. What we *should* compare it to is the old methods of capture and purely digital-recreation ... which are pretty crap.

Posted by tsumea on
Forum

Ok, this seems to be doing the rounds on various news sites, so I'll post it here if anyone hasn't seen it. It looks pretty spectacular, but what they're sorta not telling you in that article is that only the facial area is computer generated. They filmed an actress, scanned her facial expressions, and plonked it straight back on her face.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article455793…

Higher-res video here:
http://www.awntv.com/videos/image-metrics-emily-project

They claim it's a leap over the uncanny valley problem, but it's a sort of a cop-out solution I think, since they're basically scanning a face and rendering it again.

It reminds me, Team Bondi has some facial scanning technology that they've patented (revealed in a job news item). Would be curious to see that when L.A Noire sees its release.

Submitted by StephenWade on Tue, 19/08/08 - 8:10 PM Permalink

Well, it's not as 'non-trivial' as you might expect.

Detecting common features from a 'transient' image (like video) and then using those features as 'markers' from one frame to a next, then mapping both the geometric data and then the texture data onto the geometry (rather than motion capture, which has physical markers present in the image data to do all this) is a pretty cool little application of transform methods and signal processing. What benefits this has would depend on the system of capture used, how much data you can collect and process etc etc

I'm certain it has been covered in research already. However, obviously there are many ways to implement it an 'image metrics' is simply one system devised for this purpose. I really would have to take a closer look at it to work out whether it gets my tick of approval or not.

Submitted by Johnn on Thu, 21/08/08 - 9:53 AM Permalink

I just had a quick look a the footage. Her face looks heavily botoxed or something! Especially on the cheeks when the face smiles. Not Quite there yet i think.

Submitted by DaneORoo on Thu, 21/08/08 - 3:20 PM Permalink

God dammit, why are Pixar the only people who seem to be able to do eyes properly?

Her face smiles, but her eyes don't. It's missing all those slight varied tiny movements our eyes make that we don't notice. You do however notice those movements once they're gone.

The material and the render is actually epic though, just the eyes and the lips really ruin the animation for me.

Dane Brennand - Texture Artist

Submitted by StephenWade on Fri, 22/08/08 - 5:15 PM Permalink

They are saying that this is what the technology is supposed to capture; a more 'continual' and subtle control over the movements and expressions - that is eyelids, lips, etc. I think as far as digital processes go it's a leap forward. It's not very realistic, (try watching it with the sound turned off!) however the speed and cost with which they can produce the quality shown is pretty awesome.

Digital solutions become cheaper and cheaper as time goes on, so this method of image capture and processing is going to be the status quo soon, even if it might be considered non-comparable to some other current methods that require more human/analogue control at the moment. What we *should* compare it to is the old methods of capture and purely digital-recreation ... which are pretty crap.