Skip to main content

Nintendo rumor Control

Submitted by Tall Nick on
Forum

Hey all, I?ve been hearing and reading some weird news lately regarding Nintendo?s latest adventure.
Just so I know Nintendo aren?t THAT crazy, can anyone here confirm or deny this rumor?

As everyone knows the Nintendo DS was never supposed to be the next Gen Gameboy, and that explains the Gameboy Micro?
I thought that was it until I heard that Nintendo don?t see the DS in direct competition with PSP as the DS isn?t as powerful.
So to create competition for the PSP Nintendo are planning to release another Gameboy that has the power of a GameCube (or something).

Now I know that since the birth of the casual handheld gamer, Nintendo has always been one step behind top notch tech so to keep the price to the consumer down (GBC was a NES when it could have been a SNES, GBA was a SNES when it could have been a N64, etc?..) which is a smart move when your consumer base is 15 years old.
Add, the fact that Nintendo bitched when Microsoft didn?t wait the usual 6 years between console releases.

So I?m guessing that this may be BS, but so was the idea of a GBA re-re-release and now we have the Gameboy micro.

-Kerber

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 19/08/05 - 6:48 PM Permalink

*warning, no facts, just opinions, and speculation... yay!*

well, I agree, the nintendo rumor mill churns, and they're giving their same not-denying-not-confirming answers... it does seem feasible however, given that they've squeezed the gba down to the micro size, wouldn't it be plausible to squeeze the gamecube down to gba size? [:)] something to mull over.
Then again, it's not like they really need to compete at all, being the masters of mass hysteria brands for the younger and female audience, and having next to no piracy in comparison to the competitors, so it would be a smart idea to keep production costs down while enjoying that market. Pokemon pinkishorange anyone? nintendogs with a pink DS (I shit you not)? how about another cycle of mario/zelda/mario[sport]/metroid/etc? chuck in a few exclusive mature titles that are just pure quality and you've got a damn strong console/handheld coverage.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 19/08/05 - 7:16 PM Permalink

i've heared the next gameboy rumor aswell. basically a handheld GC to compete with the PSP. while i havn't seen any info on this myself, several people i have spoken to about it say they read stuff about it somewhere, so the rumors are definatly out there somewhere.

quote:how about another cycle of mario/zelda/mario[sport]/metroid/etc? chuck in a few exclusive mature titles that are just pure quality and you've got a damn strong console/handheld coverage.
still waiting for those on my DS though - since i bought it i've bought more GBA games to play on it that DS games becuase there's simply not that many titles that intereste me. the PSP isn't even out here yet and there are already a greater range of titles lined up for it's launch than the total released for the DS! most might be PS/PS2 ports, but at least there is a range to choose from!

Posted by Tall Nick on
Forum

Hey all, I?ve been hearing and reading some weird news lately regarding Nintendo?s latest adventure.
Just so I know Nintendo aren?t THAT crazy, can anyone here confirm or deny this rumor?

As everyone knows the Nintendo DS was never supposed to be the next Gen Gameboy, and that explains the Gameboy Micro?
I thought that was it until I heard that Nintendo don?t see the DS in direct competition with PSP as the DS isn?t as powerful.
So to create competition for the PSP Nintendo are planning to release another Gameboy that has the power of a GameCube (or something).

Now I know that since the birth of the casual handheld gamer, Nintendo has always been one step behind top notch tech so to keep the price to the consumer down (GBC was a NES when it could have been a SNES, GBA was a SNES when it could have been a N64, etc?..) which is a smart move when your consumer base is 15 years old.
Add, the fact that Nintendo bitched when Microsoft didn?t wait the usual 6 years between console releases.

So I?m guessing that this may be BS, but so was the idea of a GBA re-re-release and now we have the Gameboy micro.

-Kerber

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 19/08/05 - 6:48 PM Permalink

*warning, no facts, just opinions, and speculation... yay!*

well, I agree, the nintendo rumor mill churns, and they're giving their same not-denying-not-confirming answers... it does seem feasible however, given that they've squeezed the gba down to the micro size, wouldn't it be plausible to squeeze the gamecube down to gba size? [:)] something to mull over.
Then again, it's not like they really need to compete at all, being the masters of mass hysteria brands for the younger and female audience, and having next to no piracy in comparison to the competitors, so it would be a smart idea to keep production costs down while enjoying that market. Pokemon pinkishorange anyone? nintendogs with a pink DS (I shit you not)? how about another cycle of mario/zelda/mario[sport]/metroid/etc? chuck in a few exclusive mature titles that are just pure quality and you've got a damn strong console/handheld coverage.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 19/08/05 - 7:16 PM Permalink

i've heared the next gameboy rumor aswell. basically a handheld GC to compete with the PSP. while i havn't seen any info on this myself, several people i have spoken to about it say they read stuff about it somewhere, so the rumors are definatly out there somewhere.

quote:how about another cycle of mario/zelda/mario[sport]/metroid/etc? chuck in a few exclusive mature titles that are just pure quality and you've got a damn strong console/handheld coverage.
still waiting for those on my DS though - since i bought it i've bought more GBA games to play on it that DS games becuase there's simply not that many titles that intereste me. the PSP isn't even out here yet and there are already a greater range of titles lined up for it's launch than the total released for the DS! most might be PS/PS2 ports, but at least there is a range to choose from!