Skip to main content

D&D portrait / avatar experiment

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

Anyone keen on a portrait painting excersize, e.g Avatars for Neverwinter Nights or Baldurs Gate ?

Am thinking of having a bit of a dabble in this area. All welcome to participate, Its just going to be a picture of the face / bust of a D&D character that I created a while back.

Ill probably keep it going after ive finished this one also.

This will be a 'spare' time project for me, so may take some time to complete to final coloured stage [:)]

Edit : Moderators!!! Could you move this over to the appropriate section! sorry [:I]

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 19/06/04 - 6:13 AM Permalink

Yes! Pick a RPG class and paint a avatar/portriat of that character. Good idea!

Was this suppose to be in the Quick Activities section?

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 20/06/04 - 12:31 AM Permalink

Yes it was lol!

Anyways, im starting my portrait tonight.

Name: Q'tarn Valenost
Race: Elf
Class: Ranger/Theif

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 22/06/04 - 6:42 AM Permalink

I look forward to seeing (and joining) progress. You are going to post wips for it, yes? each person could start a 'RPG-avatar:name,race,class' thread and post 3ish wips and a final. Maybe aiming to spend less than 5ish hrs total, to keep it in the spirit of 'quick activities'.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 22/06/04 - 7:16 AM Permalink

so just to clarify a few things

when u say avatar you mean the actual full character design as apposed to like a bust shot of the character? and is this limited to medievil-fantasy?

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 22/06/04 - 8:38 AM Permalink

Well mines just going to be a Bust shot pretty much, like 80 odd percent of the ones you see for player avatars in Baldurs Gate / Neverwinter Nights.

Yip ill be posting wips. And no i dont see why it has to be restricted to any theme. [:D]

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Tue, 22/06/04 - 9:01 AM Permalink

Hey HazarD,

What was the size that the Neverwinter Avatars?
I think you should set a size first off for this thing if it be your own choice of size or the Neverwinter Size.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 23/06/04 - 10:45 AM Permalink

Ive been tied down, but promise to have my rough concepts real soon [:)]

USF: What Aven said [:P] [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 25/06/04 - 1:58 AM Permalink

So is this avatar meant to be based on our actual lovely selves or what? [:P]
Any size?

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 25/06/04 - 3:24 AM Permalink

Malus: can be anything you want really and any size too [:P], i just thought id put a post up about what i was up to in spare time, and anyone could join in if they felt the need to paint some portraits etc.

Im spending a bit of time on the portrait, its a really weak area of mine and I'd like to improove on it [:)] so comments and crits are definately welcome.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 25/06/04 - 3:29 AM Permalink

Just a note, those who take part in this activity, please post your work, updates, and comments in this thread only so we don't have a tonne of threads in the Sumea draw club section (since there are other things happening in here too). Tonnes of threads work in Quick Activities and Modeller Challenge sections because they have their own dedicated section.
Anyway, I'd love to take part but I wanna see someone do one first. [:)]

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 25/06/04 - 4:22 AM Permalink

Good point Souri. How about we all post in 'Quick Activities'. then each person can start a thread: "Activity #2 - Avatar 'yourName'"

.... I think that is what i will intend to do :p

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 25/06/04 - 7:13 AM Permalink

Well ive had a spare hour to splash some ink around.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_qtarn.jpg[/img]

This is my first concept / portrait for the guy, will probably play with a couple of others before finalising and colouring one etc.

Not all that happy with how he turned out, eyes too high on head as well as quite a few other niggly bits.

Hopefully iron these out, with the next couple of revisions.

Edit: Going to keep with the basic outline, but make small changes to facial features, more gaunt, shifty looking, maybe a devious smirk on his face instead of a bog standard emotionless stare [:0] with the next revisions.

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 25/06/04 - 7:19 AM Permalink

Hazard (and others), I've started this activity in the other section, are we movin' over or should I bin the old post and repost here?

I've just noticed that S.Bob has started an Activity#2 in the 'Quick Activities' Section so I have re-adjusted to make the avatar project Activity#3

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 25/06/04 - 7:33 AM Permalink

Hazard - That's pretty good for a quick go. The space between his eyes and nose looks a little long though.

MoonUnit - Sorry 'bout that. For those who want the Portrait Guide for NWN, here is the FAQ page:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/27528.html
Go down to In Depth FAQs and select the Portrait one. Should that link not work, go to www.gamefaqs.com and go to the game page and do it that way :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 25/06/04 - 7:38 AM Permalink

JohnN - good thinking maestro! Ill re-post in the quick activities section [:)]

Aven - Yeah i know [:(] saw that after it was a bit late, it was worse but i covered it up a bit [:P] once that ink is on... its ON!

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 25/06/04 - 9:56 AM Permalink

Hey guys, great idea here HazarD, I went ahead and 'created' a new challenge on the activity board.. I don't have mod access to this board, so was unable to move the entire thread.

Changed the naming convention a bit too, hope it doesn't inconvenience anyone.

Submitted by Sketchboy on Wed, 18/08/04 - 9:04 AM Permalink

im interested in doing some character pics guys, i will post some junk up soon.

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

Anyone keen on a portrait painting excersize, e.g Avatars for Neverwinter Nights or Baldurs Gate ?

Am thinking of having a bit of a dabble in this area. All welcome to participate, Its just going to be a picture of the face / bust of a D&D character that I created a while back.

Ill probably keep it going after ive finished this one also.

This will be a 'spare' time project for me, so may take some time to complete to final coloured stage [:)]

Edit : Moderators!!! Could you move this over to the appropriate section! sorry [:I]

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 19/06/04 - 6:13 AM Permalink

Yes! Pick a RPG class and paint a avatar/portriat of that character. Good idea!

Was this suppose to be in the Quick Activities section?

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 20/06/04 - 12:31 AM Permalink

Yes it was lol!

Anyways, im starting my portrait tonight.

Name: Q'tarn Valenost
Race: Elf
Class: Ranger/Theif

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 22/06/04 - 6:42 AM Permalink

I look forward to seeing (and joining) progress. You are going to post wips for it, yes? each person could start a 'RPG-avatar:name,race,class' thread and post 3ish wips and a final. Maybe aiming to spend less than 5ish hrs total, to keep it in the spirit of 'quick activities'.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 22/06/04 - 7:16 AM Permalink

so just to clarify a few things

when u say avatar you mean the actual full character design as apposed to like a bust shot of the character? and is this limited to medievil-fantasy?

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 22/06/04 - 8:38 AM Permalink

Well mines just going to be a Bust shot pretty much, like 80 odd percent of the ones you see for player avatars in Baldurs Gate / Neverwinter Nights.

Yip ill be posting wips. And no i dont see why it has to be restricted to any theme. [:D]

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Tue, 22/06/04 - 9:01 AM Permalink

Hey HazarD,

What was the size that the Neverwinter Avatars?
I think you should set a size first off for this thing if it be your own choice of size or the Neverwinter Size.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 23/06/04 - 10:45 AM Permalink

Ive been tied down, but promise to have my rough concepts real soon [:)]

USF: What Aven said [:P] [:)]

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 25/06/04 - 1:58 AM Permalink

So is this avatar meant to be based on our actual lovely selves or what? [:P]
Any size?

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 25/06/04 - 3:24 AM Permalink

Malus: can be anything you want really and any size too [:P], i just thought id put a post up about what i was up to in spare time, and anyone could join in if they felt the need to paint some portraits etc.

Im spending a bit of time on the portrait, its a really weak area of mine and I'd like to improove on it [:)] so comments and crits are definately welcome.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 25/06/04 - 3:29 AM Permalink

Just a note, those who take part in this activity, please post your work, updates, and comments in this thread only so we don't have a tonne of threads in the Sumea draw club section (since there are other things happening in here too). Tonnes of threads work in Quick Activities and Modeller Challenge sections because they have their own dedicated section.
Anyway, I'd love to take part but I wanna see someone do one first. [:)]

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 25/06/04 - 4:22 AM Permalink

Good point Souri. How about we all post in 'Quick Activities'. then each person can start a thread: "Activity #2 - Avatar 'yourName'"

.... I think that is what i will intend to do :p

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 25/06/04 - 7:13 AM Permalink

Well ive had a spare hour to splash some ink around.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_qtarn.jpg[/img]

This is my first concept / portrait for the guy, will probably play with a couple of others before finalising and colouring one etc.

Not all that happy with how he turned out, eyes too high on head as well as quite a few other niggly bits.

Hopefully iron these out, with the next couple of revisions.

Edit: Going to keep with the basic outline, but make small changes to facial features, more gaunt, shifty looking, maybe a devious smirk on his face instead of a bog standard emotionless stare [:0] with the next revisions.

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 25/06/04 - 7:19 AM Permalink

Hazard (and others), I've started this activity in the other section, are we movin' over or should I bin the old post and repost here?

I've just noticed that S.Bob has started an Activity#2 in the 'Quick Activities' Section so I have re-adjusted to make the avatar project Activity#3

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 25/06/04 - 7:33 AM Permalink

Hazard - That's pretty good for a quick go. The space between his eyes and nose looks a little long though.

MoonUnit - Sorry 'bout that. For those who want the Portrait Guide for NWN, here is the FAQ page:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/27528.html
Go down to In Depth FAQs and select the Portrait one. Should that link not work, go to www.gamefaqs.com and go to the game page and do it that way :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 25/06/04 - 7:38 AM Permalink

JohnN - good thinking maestro! Ill re-post in the quick activities section [:)]

Aven - Yeah i know [:(] saw that after it was a bit late, it was worse but i covered it up a bit [:P] once that ink is on... its ON!

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Fri, 25/06/04 - 9:56 AM Permalink

Hey guys, great idea here HazarD, I went ahead and 'created' a new challenge on the activity board.. I don't have mod access to this board, so was unable to move the entire thread.

Changed the naming convention a bit too, hope it doesn't inconvenience anyone.

Submitted by Sketchboy on Wed, 18/08/04 - 9:04 AM Permalink

im interested in doing some character pics guys, i will post some junk up soon.