Skip to main content

Texturing terrain blocks

Submitted by Kezza on
Forum

I was wondering how people reccomend texturing terrain blocks, its pretty standard to have elevation based textures.. but what about roads and stuff that don't apply to this?

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 20/04/03 - 1:06 AM Permalink

I would suggest forgoing the evelvation based texturing method for terrains, it makes them all really simple looking after a while if you are suing them for a game, and because you'll need to store information about what other objects are where on top of the terrain.

I'd just store the surface properties (texture etc) on each block of terrain (not vertexes, the stuff between 'em), and also within that spot have a few flags or otehr properties that dictate what "extra features" are placed on that section of terrain, such as a road etc. Then after the terrain has been rendered just render the stuff on top of it, so the road is really an object on top of the terrain.

Posted by Kezza on
Forum

I was wondering how people reccomend texturing terrain blocks, its pretty standard to have elevation based textures.. but what about roads and stuff that don't apply to this?

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 20/04/03 - 1:06 AM Permalink

I would suggest forgoing the evelvation based texturing method for terrains, it makes them all really simple looking after a while if you are suing them for a game, and because you'll need to store information about what other objects are where on top of the terrain.

I'd just store the surface properties (texture etc) on each block of terrain (not vertexes, the stuff between 'em), and also within that spot have a few flags or otehr properties that dictate what "extra features" are placed on that section of terrain, such as a road etc. Then after the terrain has been rendered just render the stuff on top of it, so the road is really an object on top of the terrain.