Skip to main content

Samui's are Cooler

Like Soc Bob, doing a bit of Fan Art.. kinda.
After watching the Last Samui I wanted to make a Samui.
I found a interesting Concept of a DnD webpage and well.. making this dude. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cw_ag/75429.jpg).

been working on him for a few weeks. So here is a bit of my progress.

http://uniquesnowflake.web1000.com/sumea/Samui/Samui.html

Like Soc Bob I'll be normal mapping the dude when his done. but won't be for a while yet. well back to it!

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 19/02/04 - 5:00 AM Permalink

just a note, for your high poly normal target mesh, I really recommend bevelling those edges. A normal map is angle based, not depth, so sharp perpindicular details usually don't come out at all.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 19/02/04 - 9:32 AM Permalink

Looking really good so far keep it up!
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Thu, 19/02/04 - 1:11 PM Permalink

J.I. Styles: Thanks for that Joel but I was aware of that. I have a different Meterial Set ID on the edges off all the bits. So just have to go though later and fix those up but no realy problems there.

Makk/MoonUnit: Thanks, but along way to go yet. Should be going pretty hard on it so I'll keep throwing up bits now and then.

Sorceror Bob: Oh DAMN! [:(] you mean I was ment to make the Island Samui.. damn the boss is going to be pissed! Anywhoo.. thanks for that, lucky you can spell [:D]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Thu, 26/02/04 - 12:01 PM Permalink

Ok Snowflake, here's my two cents on your head. The first thing I noticed about it is how pinched in the mesh is around his nose and inner eye, should be a smooth transition. The nose seems too wide and the nostrils a little too thick, the mouth not wide enough, cheeks a little flat. I'd pull the outer edge of his eye back too, looks too flat. No eyelids yet? it's amazing how much better things look when you model these in. One last thing, and this is picky, it looks odd that I can see a large part of his neck from behind his ear, looks as though you could scale that part down a bit. Other than that it's coming along well, I like his jaw, nice and strong, and good to see you don't have the pinched lip syndrome.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Thu, 26/02/04 - 12:04 PM Permalink

By the way the armour looks great, just curious as to why you modeled this before his body? Wasn't it more difficult?

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Thu, 26/02/04 - 1:53 PM Permalink

While we are picking on the poor guy I'll throw in something you missed, his nose is way to long. I opened it up and had a look and when "WOOOO NEALY!" [:D]

Well for a starts I should mention that its a asian dude, so that explains a few things what you said. Either way that nose was just insame. When on a picture run and alot of the asian pics had a more round/flate nose so I have fixed that up. (as well as making it not so long).

Like I said asian dude, so with the eyes he does have those eye lids they are just hiden right under the skin (hence the other common thing about asian faces).

Apart from that thanks, I'll tweaks it up.

[NOTE2]: once I fixed the nose (just the nose) I did a render of the head with the armour. So you can check that at the last link... with... the head... asian head.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Thu, 26/02/04 - 1:59 PM Permalink

Oh yeah I forgot. About the whole armour thing well its like this.
the thing about amour is it doesn't change.. just armour just sits there looking.. like armour. Hence forth like the head.. around the neck anyways which is the part that matters with this. So when they are made you can the model the clothing around the areas of the armour getting the folds where it hits the armour and all that kinda stuff.
I guess a better example is you wouldn't model the neck of a T-skirt first if you didn't know how big the neck is.
Sorry babbled on a bit but its late. Hope that explains it a little.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 26/02/04 - 6:16 PM Permalink

I think it looks great the only beef i have is that i can't see any top lip.

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 26/02/04 - 8:18 PM Permalink

It looks pretty good USF, but there are a few things about it being an 'Asian' head. I guess by Asian, you mean Japanese? If so, then you will want to have a look at the profile of his nose. Japanese people (unless they have mixed blood), tend to have flatter 'hooking' noses. I am with Wizenedoldman with smoothing the sides of the nose as well, and fattening his cheeks up. His eyelids should be somewhat visible still. Although he has the double eye lid, Japanese people's main eye lid is still fairly easy to see. If he were Korean, then things would start to change (even my Indonesian gf's eyelid is pretty much invisible), but he is Japanese :)

It would probably be a great idea to find some photos of Japanese guys or find some Japanese DVDs and then go from there. The armour looks cool, and it should be cool to see him all come together :)

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Tue, 02/03/04 - 1:24 AM Permalink

Antoher update,

Things added:

Back amour, flag, hands, lower arms and top of the shirt around the neck (not sure what the dress wear is called I'm sure you can help me out with the name Aven [;)])

The update is in the last URL I posted.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 16/03/04 - 5:49 AM Permalink

His hands and arms look atrophied. Remember that years of training will have given him some pretty well muscled arms.
Also, Remember that the distance from the tip of the fingers to the knee should be about one hand length. It looks fine now, but he's in a squatting pose, as soon as he straightens up, I think you'll start to see some problems.

Anyhow, it's looking cool, looking forward to seeing more at the end of the week.

Submitted by matias on Tue, 16/03/04 - 8:57 PM Permalink

Yeah, USF looks really cool I've been quietly following this one and liked how it's come together! Oh did you catch that Japan thing on SBS sunday? really cool abit about Samaui's Samurais. ;D I'd have to agree with SBob though, big hands is a sign of alot of testosterone(no idea on the spelling). Altough I am biased because I draw my dudes with big hands, so take my op' with a grain o salt!
Cheers

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Sun, 21/03/04 - 12:18 AM Permalink

Would you look at the time.. ohh time for another post.
Not very impressed with Soc Bob because his been hiding under a rock and hasn't posted anything!!

Anywhooooo.... made them arms bigger so he doesn't look as much of a pansy now. On that note: don't post about the arm going though the armour because its already fixed! Apart from that I'm sure you can pick out whats new.

http://uniquesnowflake.web1000.com/sumea/Samui/SamuraiWIP02.html

Apart from anything else realy wrong with him (and please tell if there is) I'm almost done. Currently going though the armour and fixing it up so when I normal map him it will pick up those edges. As well as that I'm dinting in the armour and stuff...

Anywhooo.. off to B'ball Cya laters! [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 21/03/04 - 12:35 AM Permalink

looks fantastic snowflake, well done!

i think if anything id say that the feet look a bit small, maybe they're just dwarfed by the armour but they seem to be a bit tiny. I know there is a part of their culture where they punish there feet into little shoes but i thought that was just the women, do samurais do that aswell?

anyway great work :D cant wait to see some texture

Submitted by matias on Sun, 21/03/04 - 12:45 AM Permalink

Woah, nice work man, The mask is cool, and I can't wait to see it with the dints, I reckon they'd really set it off! I'm a big fan of dints!

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 21/03/04 - 2:09 AM Permalink

Hey!! Not my fault

I've been lazy... LAZZYYYY

Well not so much lazy as working, and I've been uncommonly busy during the day.. I'll have some stuff to show off soon.

Like Soc Bob, doing a bit of Fan Art.. kinda.
After watching the Last Samui I wanted to make a Samui.
I found a interesting Concept of a DnD webpage and well.. making this dude. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cw_ag/75429.jpg).

been working on him for a few weeks. So here is a bit of my progress.

http://uniquesnowflake.web1000.com/sumea/Samui/Samui.html

Like Soc Bob I'll be normal mapping the dude when his done. but won't be for a while yet. well back to it!

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 19/02/04 - 5:00 AM Permalink

just a note, for your high poly normal target mesh, I really recommend bevelling those edges. A normal map is angle based, not depth, so sharp perpindicular details usually don't come out at all.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 19/02/04 - 9:32 AM Permalink

Looking really good so far keep it up!
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Thu, 19/02/04 - 1:11 PM Permalink

J.I. Styles: Thanks for that Joel but I was aware of that. I have a different Meterial Set ID on the edges off all the bits. So just have to go though later and fix those up but no realy problems there.

Makk/MoonUnit: Thanks, but along way to go yet. Should be going pretty hard on it so I'll keep throwing up bits now and then.

Sorceror Bob: Oh DAMN! [:(] you mean I was ment to make the Island Samui.. damn the boss is going to be pissed! Anywhoo.. thanks for that, lucky you can spell [:D]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Thu, 26/02/04 - 12:01 PM Permalink

Ok Snowflake, here's my two cents on your head. The first thing I noticed about it is how pinched in the mesh is around his nose and inner eye, should be a smooth transition. The nose seems too wide and the nostrils a little too thick, the mouth not wide enough, cheeks a little flat. I'd pull the outer edge of his eye back too, looks too flat. No eyelids yet? it's amazing how much better things look when you model these in. One last thing, and this is picky, it looks odd that I can see a large part of his neck from behind his ear, looks as though you could scale that part down a bit. Other than that it's coming along well, I like his jaw, nice and strong, and good to see you don't have the pinched lip syndrome.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Thu, 26/02/04 - 12:04 PM Permalink

By the way the armour looks great, just curious as to why you modeled this before his body? Wasn't it more difficult?

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Thu, 26/02/04 - 1:53 PM Permalink

While we are picking on the poor guy I'll throw in something you missed, his nose is way to long. I opened it up and had a look and when "WOOOO NEALY!" [:D]

Well for a starts I should mention that its a asian dude, so that explains a few things what you said. Either way that nose was just insame. When on a picture run and alot of the asian pics had a more round/flate nose so I have fixed that up. (as well as making it not so long).

Like I said asian dude, so with the eyes he does have those eye lids they are just hiden right under the skin (hence the other common thing about asian faces).

Apart from that thanks, I'll tweaks it up.

[NOTE2]: once I fixed the nose (just the nose) I did a render of the head with the armour. So you can check that at the last link... with... the head... asian head.

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Thu, 26/02/04 - 1:59 PM Permalink

Oh yeah I forgot. About the whole armour thing well its like this.
the thing about amour is it doesn't change.. just armour just sits there looking.. like armour. Hence forth like the head.. around the neck anyways which is the part that matters with this. So when they are made you can the model the clothing around the areas of the armour getting the folds where it hits the armour and all that kinda stuff.
I guess a better example is you wouldn't model the neck of a T-skirt first if you didn't know how big the neck is.
Sorry babbled on a bit but its late. Hope that explains it a little.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 26/02/04 - 6:16 PM Permalink

I think it looks great the only beef i have is that i can't see any top lip.

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 26/02/04 - 8:18 PM Permalink

It looks pretty good USF, but there are a few things about it being an 'Asian' head. I guess by Asian, you mean Japanese? If so, then you will want to have a look at the profile of his nose. Japanese people (unless they have mixed blood), tend to have flatter 'hooking' noses. I am with Wizenedoldman with smoothing the sides of the nose as well, and fattening his cheeks up. His eyelids should be somewhat visible still. Although he has the double eye lid, Japanese people's main eye lid is still fairly easy to see. If he were Korean, then things would start to change (even my Indonesian gf's eyelid is pretty much invisible), but he is Japanese :)

It would probably be a great idea to find some photos of Japanese guys or find some Japanese DVDs and then go from there. The armour looks cool, and it should be cool to see him all come together :)

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Tue, 02/03/04 - 1:24 AM Permalink

Antoher update,

Things added:

Back amour, flag, hands, lower arms and top of the shirt around the neck (not sure what the dress wear is called I'm sure you can help me out with the name Aven [;)])

The update is in the last URL I posted.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 16/03/04 - 5:49 AM Permalink

His hands and arms look atrophied. Remember that years of training will have given him some pretty well muscled arms.
Also, Remember that the distance from the tip of the fingers to the knee should be about one hand length. It looks fine now, but he's in a squatting pose, as soon as he straightens up, I think you'll start to see some problems.

Anyhow, it's looking cool, looking forward to seeing more at the end of the week.

Submitted by matias on Tue, 16/03/04 - 8:57 PM Permalink

Yeah, USF looks really cool I've been quietly following this one and liked how it's come together! Oh did you catch that Japan thing on SBS sunday? really cool abit about Samaui's Samurais. ;D I'd have to agree with SBob though, big hands is a sign of alot of testosterone(no idea on the spelling). Altough I am biased because I draw my dudes with big hands, so take my op' with a grain o salt!
Cheers

Submitted by UniqueSnowFlake on Sun, 21/03/04 - 12:18 AM Permalink

Would you look at the time.. ohh time for another post.
Not very impressed with Soc Bob because his been hiding under a rock and hasn't posted anything!!

Anywhooooo.... made them arms bigger so he doesn't look as much of a pansy now. On that note: don't post about the arm going though the armour because its already fixed! Apart from that I'm sure you can pick out whats new.

http://uniquesnowflake.web1000.com/sumea/Samui/SamuraiWIP02.html

Apart from anything else realy wrong with him (and please tell if there is) I'm almost done. Currently going though the armour and fixing it up so when I normal map him it will pick up those edges. As well as that I'm dinting in the armour and stuff...

Anywhooo.. off to B'ball Cya laters! [:D]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 21/03/04 - 12:35 AM Permalink

looks fantastic snowflake, well done!

i think if anything id say that the feet look a bit small, maybe they're just dwarfed by the armour but they seem to be a bit tiny. I know there is a part of their culture where they punish there feet into little shoes but i thought that was just the women, do samurais do that aswell?

anyway great work :D cant wait to see some texture

Submitted by matias on Sun, 21/03/04 - 12:45 AM Permalink

Woah, nice work man, The mask is cool, and I can't wait to see it with the dints, I reckon they'd really set it off! I'm a big fan of dints!

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Sun, 21/03/04 - 2:09 AM Permalink

Hey!! Not my fault

I've been lazy... LAZZYYYY

Well not so much lazy as working, and I've been uncommonly busy during the day.. I'll have some stuff to show off soon.