Skip to main content

Painkiller Demo

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

I just heard of another new demo that has been released. Painkiller.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/blammo.pl?mode=archive&oneday=true&dis…

First story. It is about 250mb.

It is pretty cool, but runs very slowly. Be prepared to turn a lot of settings down if you play it. The lighting and animation are very nice. The atmosphere is cool. The physics engine :0~~~~~~~ Best use of ragdolls yet. Nailing a zombie in the head with a stake gun has never been so much fun :)

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 19/02/04 - 5:49 AM Permalink

Man I thought it was sooo bad, fun to revisit some old school FPS for about 2 minutes but then its just bad. [:P]
Nailing zombies to walls was cool but it didn't hold my attention long enough for me to say I really enjoyed it.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 19/02/04 - 8:01 AM Permalink

yeah i agree with malus.
i didnt have any problems running it at its default settings though.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 19/02/04 - 8:39 AM Permalink

ive seen the video for this, im in no hurry to download, because i mean it looks very atmospheric and the ragdoll and destructible enviroments and stuff looks great but it does look a bit sort of "look its a room full of demons, let me kill them with my assortment of weapons.... again!!!!!!" sort of repedative shoot the hordes of enemys stuff

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 19/02/04 - 9:08 AM Permalink

yeah i agree with that.

kill all the zombies and that door opens. kill all the next ones and the door opens. it lost my interest pretty quickly so i changed to the first weapon (the highspeed spinning melee weapon) and just ran into everyone....didnt last long.

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 19/02/04 - 9:13 AM Permalink

Yeah. The gameplay is absolutely nothing new. After playing the first level, the second level lost a lot. Not through the repetitive gameplay (as Malus said, brainless shooting can be fun :D), but it lost all the dark atmosphere of the first level. That was a great pity as well, as the atmosphere is what made it :(

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 19/02/04 - 7:15 PM Permalink

I love the "shoot at everything that isn't you" type of games i find them incredibly stress releaving. As long as they have some kind of story line to them. Some of the best selling games have been of this type.
Eg: Quake 3, Doom 1&2, Resident Evil and so on.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 20/02/04 - 2:54 AM Permalink

resident evil is so much more then that, i think the closest comparison i would put this to is something like serious sam or ubi softs will rock

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 20/02/04 - 8:08 AM Permalink

well i loved serious sam as well so :P

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 20/02/04 - 9:32 AM Permalink

I never really minded simplistic gameplay either. I guess it depends whether you like to pretend to yourself that FPSs can be 'sophisticated' or not. I see them as stress relief mainly :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 20/02/04 - 6:51 PM Permalink

than you Maitrek, finally someone who agrees with me.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Fri, 20/02/04 - 11:30 PM Permalink

I found the weapons to be pretty fun, especially the default spinning blade, its alternate fire is basically all I use, I think its pretty clever, using it to either create a beam to burn the enemies with or using it to hook them and send their corpses flying through the air, it makes me feel like I'm playing as scorpion from MK

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) on
Forum

I just heard of another new demo that has been released. Painkiller.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/blammo.pl?mode=archive&oneday=true&dis…

First story. It is about 250mb.

It is pretty cool, but runs very slowly. Be prepared to turn a lot of settings down if you play it. The lighting and animation are very nice. The atmosphere is cool. The physics engine :0~~~~~~~ Best use of ragdolls yet. Nailing a zombie in the head with a stake gun has never been so much fun :)

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 19/02/04 - 5:49 AM Permalink

Man I thought it was sooo bad, fun to revisit some old school FPS for about 2 minutes but then its just bad. [:P]
Nailing zombies to walls was cool but it didn't hold my attention long enough for me to say I really enjoyed it.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 19/02/04 - 8:01 AM Permalink

yeah i agree with malus.
i didnt have any problems running it at its default settings though.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 19/02/04 - 8:39 AM Permalink

ive seen the video for this, im in no hurry to download, because i mean it looks very atmospheric and the ragdoll and destructible enviroments and stuff looks great but it does look a bit sort of "look its a room full of demons, let me kill them with my assortment of weapons.... again!!!!!!" sort of repedative shoot the hordes of enemys stuff

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 19/02/04 - 9:08 AM Permalink

yeah i agree with that.

kill all the zombies and that door opens. kill all the next ones and the door opens. it lost my interest pretty quickly so i changed to the first weapon (the highspeed spinning melee weapon) and just ran into everyone....didnt last long.

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 19/02/04 - 9:13 AM Permalink

Yeah. The gameplay is absolutely nothing new. After playing the first level, the second level lost a lot. Not through the repetitive gameplay (as Malus said, brainless shooting can be fun :D), but it lost all the dark atmosphere of the first level. That was a great pity as well, as the atmosphere is what made it :(

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 19/02/04 - 7:15 PM Permalink

I love the "shoot at everything that isn't you" type of games i find them incredibly stress releaving. As long as they have some kind of story line to them. Some of the best selling games have been of this type.
Eg: Quake 3, Doom 1&2, Resident Evil and so on.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 20/02/04 - 2:54 AM Permalink

resident evil is so much more then that, i think the closest comparison i would put this to is something like serious sam or ubi softs will rock

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 20/02/04 - 8:08 AM Permalink

well i loved serious sam as well so :P

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 20/02/04 - 9:32 AM Permalink

I never really minded simplistic gameplay either. I guess it depends whether you like to pretend to yourself that FPSs can be 'sophisticated' or not. I see them as stress relief mainly :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 20/02/04 - 6:51 PM Permalink

than you Maitrek, finally someone who agrees with me.

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Fri, 20/02/04 - 11:30 PM Permalink

I found the weapons to be pretty fun, especially the default spinning blade, its alternate fire is basically all I use, I think its pretty clever, using it to either create a beam to burn the enemies with or using it to hook them and send their corpses flying through the air, it makes me feel like I'm playing as scorpion from MK