Skip to main content

Canberra Fires

Submitted by Brain on
Forum

*cringe*

Been watching the water bombers over at Gold Creek School fly back and forth. Didn't realise Elvis was so big.

Chris Bowden
http://brain.gamekey.com/

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 19/01/03 - 7:54 AM Permalink

Yeah, saw the fires on the news, hope everyone that you know there is safe and secure.

Submitted by souri on Sun, 19/01/03 - 12:57 PM Permalink

Holy... just saw it on tv. 100 homes affected.. Saw some very red skies, and lots of flying embers everywhere.. and a guy trying to put out some of the trees near his house with a small bucket of water.

Submitted by Gaffer on Mon, 20/01/03 - 6:50 AM Permalink

its all smokey and nasty down here :(

Glenn "Gaffer" Fiedler | Senior Programmer | Irrational Games

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 20/01/03 - 9:47 AM Permalink

Good luck trying to survive out there with all your posessions intact - that goes to the people working at Irrational, Microforte Canberra, and the AIE.

Stay Cool.

Submitted by Gaffer on Mon, 20/01/03 - 10:07 AM Permalink

we're all ok, irrational is in braddon in the inner city concrete jungle, and microforte is in watson - only problem is peoples homes, i havent heard anything, but i know some guys live down southish from irrational, will know tommorow morning i guess...

Submitted by Gaffer on Mon, 20/01/03 - 11:54 PM Permalink

one of the game designers at irrational (andrew smith) lost his house in duffy, today at least two guys are staying at home watching their houses. ouch!

Submitted by souri on Tue, 21/01/03 - 10:52 PM Permalink

ahh that's a huge bummer.. [V] Today is supposed to be another huge problem day with predicted high temperatures, but hopefully things won't get as bad as the first few days..

Submitted by Brain on Tue, 21/01/03 - 11:50 PM Permalink

Gungarlin and Belconnen regions are on high alert today. Wheeeee! We watered down outside, but it was bone dry within an hour. Pfsh... stupid summer. @:-)

Chris Bowden

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 22/01/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

Hrm, well all the best of luck to anyone that's facing the fires today, I hope it goes well for them and that everybody stays alive.

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 22/01/03 - 1:51 AM Permalink

i'm at home from work, but i'm in lyneham - not really expecting any problems, i'm not near trees and grass and stuff, just that i'm nearish to kaleen which is on alert

bloody hot too with no air con :(

Submitted by GooberMan on Wed, 22/01/03 - 9:19 AM Permalink

Summer + Drought + Morons who don't know how to control fire = bad... I'm sure that just like every other huge bush fire some moron thought it'd be kewl to light a fire, and it sucks because it's gone on to cause plenty of damage... Well, good luck to you guys.

Ethan Watson, teh brand spankin' new Krome employee.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 22/01/03 - 10:30 AM Permalink

add idiots who dont think to that equation...
for example, we were driving behind someone the other day in the middle of the day, very hot, dry grass etc on the side of the road and two idiots in the car in front fling their cigarette butts out the windows, u could see the ambers when it hit the road.

: lachlan inglis
http://effectism.com/sample/

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 22/01/03 - 12:34 PM Permalink

I was talking to a police officer the other day that does tae kwon do with me, and apparently the reason we haven't had so many fires in S.A is because they have police officers tailing known arsonists all the time, he had to do quite a few hours over the weekend tailing them in his car etc etc.

Also, the CFS recently did a scientific study on cigarette butts starting fires, and they reckon it's damn near impossible - not sure the reason why, but I'd imagine they'd be reasonably thourough in that kind of study before saying that it's not a problem.

Although, throwing cigarette butts out of a window is pretty senseless anyway.

Snootchie bootchies!
Any off-topic issues send to maitrek@austarmetro.com.au

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 22/01/03 - 12:41 PM Permalink

I heard the canberra fires were started by lightning strikes..?
(Thats what the paper says anyway)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Cartel Artists on Thu, 23/01/03 - 9:59 AM Permalink

I was in Palmerston at my girlfriends standing outside her place when this guy wearing a safety vest comes up to us and tells us to water the house down etc and that our area was to be evacuated, said he had been at the fire front all day and was standing down to warn residents in the area.....anyways we watered the house down and put wet rags in the gutters etc, but my girlfriend thought the guy seemed a bit unusual, and his car and jacket had no markings to indicate he was SES or from the fire dept...so she calls the fire dept for an update...turns out we werent to be evacuated, and that the guy was impersonating the SES....the cops new about it and heaps of cop cars swarmed the area. They caught him and we gave a statement when they were sussing out the area...seems people were trying to take advantage of the situation to possibly loot houses, or to cause panic. Sheeesh! Never seen so many cops drive past my gf's place, there were over 10 cop vehicles....made for an exciting day :)

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 23/01/03 - 11:24 AM Permalink

Bastards like that should be shot.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 23/01/03 - 11:25 PM Permalink

quote:Bastards like that should be shot.

That goes double for spammers.

But yeah, let's hope that the winds don't change direction etc in Canberra, so the fire just dies out instead of assaulting the city again.

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Fri, 24/01/03 - 3:34 AM Permalink

Well actually the worst isn't over untill the fires are out
The firestorm got the drop on the fire dept once and it can do it again.
Luckily i live in a grassland area (palmerston) with little trees so we won't have much trouble here (even though we were on alert 2 days ago)
and the count i heard on news last night was 520 homes destroyed

It is infact ants who are the true rulers of this world!!!

Submitted by souri on Sat, 25/01/03 - 1:22 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Daemin

Speaking of spammers, I was put on some list recently with my sumea email address.. GRRRRR..

quote:Dear friend,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mail Sent from eSqueeky.com (Pronounced "e - Squeeky - dot - com")

Your friend has gifted you a FREE subscription to Squeeky Club.

=======================================================
Your friend also included the following note:

Hi !!! ... You'll surely like this one.
Their jokes are great ... makes me laugh everytime.
Read one of their jokes newsletters to see what I mean.

My friend sent me that note!? And they didn't even address me with my name!! Or tell me who they were!! [;)]

So anyway, they just kept sending me tonnes and tonnes of emails every few days with jokes.......... and special offers. So I got fed up after a while and sent them an email threatening to report them to spam lists etc. Haven't received any spam from them since. (I was a bit wary of sending an email and getting on more spam lists though)..

I hardly look into my hotmail account anymore.. I get around 90 spam emails there a day.

Submitted by StrkEagle on Thu, 30/01/03 - 9:49 PM Permalink

well I live in Kambah and the fire got to just over a kilometre from me north to mt taylor and south to tuggeranong

amazing as the mt taylor fire was... it was the worst thing i'd been thru

quote:Originally posted by Meatex_Salami

Luckily i live in a grassland area (palmerston) with little trees so we won't have much trouble here (even though we were on alert 2 days ago)

Posted by Brain on
Forum

*cringe*

Been watching the water bombers over at Gold Creek School fly back and forth. Didn't realise Elvis was so big.

Chris Bowden

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 19/01/03 - 7:54 AM Permalink

Yeah, saw the fires on the news, hope everyone that you know there is safe and secure.

Submitted by souri on Sun, 19/01/03 - 12:57 PM Permalink

Holy... just saw it on tv. 100 homes affected.. Saw some very red skies, and lots of flying embers everywhere.. and a guy trying to put out some of the trees near his house with a small bucket of water.

Submitted by Gaffer on Mon, 20/01/03 - 6:50 AM Permalink

its all smokey and nasty down here :(

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 20/01/03 - 9:47 AM Permalink

Good luck trying to survive out there with all your posessions intact - that goes to the people working at Irrational, Microforte Canberra, and the AIE.

Stay Cool.

Submitted by Gaffer on Mon, 20/01/03 - 10:07 AM Permalink

we're all ok, irrational is in braddon in the inner city concrete jungle, and microforte is in watson - only problem is peoples homes, i havent heard anything, but i know some guys live down southish from irrational, will know tommorow morning i guess...

Submitted by Gaffer on Mon, 20/01/03 - 11:54 PM Permalink

one of the game designers at irrational (andrew smith) lost his house in duffy, today at least two guys are staying at home watching their houses. ouch!

Submitted by souri on Tue, 21/01/03 - 10:52 PM Permalink

ahh that's a huge bummer.. [V] Today is supposed to be another huge problem day with predicted high temperatures, but hopefully things won't get as bad as the first few days..

Submitted by Brain on Tue, 21/01/03 - 11:50 PM Permalink

Gungarlin and Belconnen regions are on high alert today. Wheeeee! We watered down outside, but it was bone dry within an hour. Pfsh... stupid summer. @:-)

Chris Bowden

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 22/01/03 - 12:21 AM Permalink

Hrm, well all the best of luck to anyone that's facing the fires today, I hope it goes well for them and that everybody stays alive.

Submitted by Gaffer on Wed, 22/01/03 - 1:51 AM Permalink

i'm at home from work, but i'm in lyneham - not really expecting any problems, i'm not near trees and grass and stuff, just that i'm nearish to kaleen which is on alert

bloody hot too with no air con :(

Submitted by GooberMan on Wed, 22/01/03 - 9:19 AM Permalink

Summer + Drought + Morons who don't know how to control fire = bad... I'm sure that just like every other huge bush fire some moron thought it'd be kewl to light a fire, and it sucks because it's gone on to cause plenty of damage... Well, good luck to you guys.

Ethan Watson, teh brand spankin' new Krome employee.

Submitted by inglis on Wed, 22/01/03 - 10:30 AM Permalink

add idiots who dont think to that equation...
for example, we were driving behind someone the other day in the middle of the day, very hot, dry grass etc on the side of the road and two idiots in the car in front fling their cigarette butts out the windows, u could see the ambers when it hit the road.

: lachlan inglis
http://effectism.com/sample/

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 22/01/03 - 12:34 PM Permalink

I was talking to a police officer the other day that does tae kwon do with me, and apparently the reason we haven't had so many fires in S.A is because they have police officers tailing known arsonists all the time, he had to do quite a few hours over the weekend tailing them in his car etc etc.

Also, the CFS recently did a scientific study on cigarette butts starting fires, and they reckon it's damn near impossible - not sure the reason why, but I'd imagine they'd be reasonably thourough in that kind of study before saying that it's not a problem.

Although, throwing cigarette butts out of a window is pretty senseless anyway.

Snootchie bootchies!
Any off-topic issues send to maitrek@austarmetro.com.au

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 22/01/03 - 12:41 PM Permalink

I heard the canberra fires were started by lightning strikes..?
(Thats what the paper says anyway)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Cartel Artists on Thu, 23/01/03 - 9:59 AM Permalink

I was in Palmerston at my girlfriends standing outside her place when this guy wearing a safety vest comes up to us and tells us to water the house down etc and that our area was to be evacuated, said he had been at the fire front all day and was standing down to warn residents in the area.....anyways we watered the house down and put wet rags in the gutters etc, but my girlfriend thought the guy seemed a bit unusual, and his car and jacket had no markings to indicate he was SES or from the fire dept...so she calls the fire dept for an update...turns out we werent to be evacuated, and that the guy was impersonating the SES....the cops new about it and heaps of cop cars swarmed the area. They caught him and we gave a statement when they were sussing out the area...seems people were trying to take advantage of the situation to possibly loot houses, or to cause panic. Sheeesh! Never seen so many cops drive past my gf's place, there were over 10 cop vehicles....made for an exciting day :)

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 23/01/03 - 11:24 AM Permalink

Bastards like that should be shot.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 23/01/03 - 11:25 PM Permalink

But yeah, let's hope that the winds don't change direction etc in Canberra, so the fire just dies out instead of assaulting the city again.

Submitted by Meatex Salami on Fri, 24/01/03 - 3:34 AM Permalink

Submitted by souri on Sat, 25/01/03 - 1:22 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Daemin

Speaking of spammers, I was put on some list recently with my sumea email address.. GRRRRR..

quote:Dear friend,

Mail Sent from eSqueeky.com (Pronounced "e - Squeeky - dot - com")

Your friend has gifted you a FREE subscription to Squeeky Club.

Your friend also included the following note:

Hi !!! ... You'll surely like this one.
Their jokes are great ... makes me laugh everytime.
Read one of their jokes newsletters to see what I mean.

My friend sent me that note!? And they didn't even address me with my name!! Or tell me who they were!! [;)]

So anyway, they just kept sending me tonnes and tonnes of emails every few days with jokes.......... and special offers. So I got fed up after a while and sent them an email threatening to report them to spam lists etc. Haven't received any spam from them since. (I was a bit wary of sending an email and getting on more spam lists though)..

I hardly look into my hotmail account anymore.. I get around 90 spam emails there a day.

Submitted by StrkEagle on Thu, 30/01/03 - 9:49 PM Permalink

well I live in Kambah and the fire got to just over a kilometre from me north to mt taylor and south to tuggeranong

amazing as the mt taylor fire was... it was the worst thing i'd been thru

quote:Originally posted by Meatex_Salami