Skip to main content

Finally!!!

Submitted by Mick1460 on
Forum

Finally!

Great to see audio is getting a notice within the gaming crowd - you rock Souri!

Submitted by Mick1460 on Mon, 19/09/05 - 2:09 AM Permalink

...so when is the first Sumea Audio Challenge?

Submitted by lorien on Mon, 19/09/05 - 4:58 AM Permalink

Should point out that it was me who suggested it [:)] , but yes, Souri does rock [:)]

Submitted by souri on Mon, 19/09/05 - 12:21 PM Permalink

Sounds like a pretty cool idea. It really depends on how much audio people would be interested in taking part and if we can garner some incentive for them (usually prizes [:P]). There haven't been many audio people around here, although that's probably due to Sumea not having a forum section, profiles for audio people or any news related to them, but from what Mick has told me about the response he's got from an ad on Sumea, there's quite a few of you around or lurking.

Anyway, if we could get one audio challenge happening per year, it would encourage more audio people to the site. And Mick, Groovyone etc, you guys can't join in either, being the expert at your fields, you are! Judges, you should be!! [;)]

Submitted by lorien on Mon, 19/09/05 - 9:25 PM Permalink

Oops, re-reading what I posted makes it look like I'm saying I suggested an Audio challenge. Not the case- I just suggested the audio section in the forums. I think a challenge is a great idea (thanks Mick), and I think I'd better count myself out from entering- unless people would like otherwise.

Mick (and any other sound people): what form do you think an audio challenge should take? Should it be (for example) producing a specific sound, a bunch of sounds, or a soundscape?

Submitted by groovyone on Tue, 20/09/05 - 3:12 AM Permalink

I think a great challenge is sound design for motion.

Perhaps Use some of the 3D animator's movies requiring some sound and have the sound designers , composers work towards putting sound to them. Then the Animators get good sound design, and the audio people get video to sync to.

Submitted by Mick1460 on Tue, 20/09/05 - 10:05 PM Permalink

I should point out that the mention of the audio challenge was a 'tongue in cheek' comment but hey, LETS DO ONE ANYWAY!

I think that would be a perfect suggestion Groovyone. We could get ahold of a small mpeg cg movie from somewhere and have the challengers practise sound design. I will happily get Lava Injection Studios to sponsor the event with prizes to give further incentive!

What do you think Souri? Is it possible?

Submitted by lorien on Tue, 20/09/05 - 11:07 PM Permalink

I like your sense of humor Mick [:)]

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 20/09/05 - 11:35 PM Permalink

lorien, you could enter, and set the benchmark that everyone else would be judged on?

Though the exact format of the competition, I don't know... Perhaps someone does a random rendering of some funky stuff and the challenge will be to create music to it, sort of like a reverse visualisation?

Submitted by lorien on Wed, 21/09/05 - 12:04 AM Permalink

My main point in saying I shouldn't enter is afaik I'm the only person seriously studying game audio in australia, and with my background it probably wouldn't be fair. But I'm happy with Daemin's suggestion (means I couldn't win), and if this challenge happens and someone manages to pull of something better than me I'm going to want to buy them a beer! [:)]

Daemin has some idea of the things I've done in the past btw.

Submitted by Mick1460 on Thu, 22/09/05 - 6:13 PM Permalink

So what do you think Souri? Could an audio challenge be possible?

Submitted by souri on Thu, 22/09/05 - 9:17 PM Permalink

Yeh, certainly. Someone will have to write the competition guidelines once it's agreed on when it'll happen, how long for, and what form the audio challenge should take.

Submitted by bonnettjoshua on Tue, 09/05/06 - 5:27 AM Permalink

I'd love to be involved. Why shouldn't music be competitive?

Submitted by KAyo on Mon, 14/08/06 - 7:40 AM Permalink

Hello All,

I think this forum needs a little buzz. I suggest we all work towards getting this forum energized. I propose a sort of a healthy exchange of design and architecture.

To me, it's all about architecture and the message conveyed. Stagnant static designs bore me, which is why I propose a ORGANIC Audio GARDEN - OAG.

The rules I have multed for us are: After listening;
1) was the piece or overture moving.. did it pull any heart strings?
2) was the design and architecture breath taking?
3) was the production upto par?
4) was it a solo effort or a group effort?
5) was the feeling conveyed?
6) was the feeling lost in time and never recovered?
7) was techniques in design outstanding?
8)
9)
10)

Let's all post some work, hopefully short bursts... 3min only/-

As you can see, I have left the other three, for others to contribute to the judging process. What I am really trying to do is, get us all to recognize that, we all love our work and we'd all love to have a healthy discussion about our passion, which is music!

Sincerely to all,
KAyo

Submitted by KAyo on Thu, 24/08/06 - 2:13 AM Permalink

GOSH!!!!!!!!

Nobody has even answered the posting....
Man... this is goint to be a long wait looks like..

Cheers,
KAyo

Submitted by Mick1460 on Thu, 24/08/06 - 6:45 PM Permalink

Why don't you start and contribute a track of your own man! Get things rolling!

Posted by Mick1460 on
Forum

Finally!

Great to see audio is getting a notice within the gaming crowd - you rock Souri!

Submitted by Mick1460 on Mon, 19/09/05 - 2:09 AM Permalink

...so when is the first Sumea Audio Challenge?

Submitted by lorien on Mon, 19/09/05 - 4:58 AM Permalink

Should point out that it was me who suggested it [:)] , but yes, Souri does rock [:)]

Submitted by souri on Mon, 19/09/05 - 12:21 PM Permalink

Sounds like a pretty cool idea. It really depends on how much audio people would be interested in taking part and if we can garner some incentive for them (usually prizes [:P]). There haven't been many audio people around here, although that's probably due to Sumea not having a forum section, profiles for audio people or any news related to them, but from what Mick has told me about the response he's got from an ad on Sumea, there's quite a few of you around or lurking.

Anyway, if we could get one audio challenge happening per year, it would encourage more audio people to the site. And Mick, Groovyone etc, you guys can't join in either, being the expert at your fields, you are! Judges, you should be!! [;)]

Submitted by lorien on Mon, 19/09/05 - 9:25 PM Permalink

Oops, re-reading what I posted makes it look like I'm saying I suggested an Audio challenge. Not the case- I just suggested the audio section in the forums. I think a challenge is a great idea (thanks Mick), and I think I'd better count myself out from entering- unless people would like otherwise.

Mick (and any other sound people): what form do you think an audio challenge should take? Should it be (for example) producing a specific sound, a bunch of sounds, or a soundscape?

Submitted by groovyone on Tue, 20/09/05 - 3:12 AM Permalink

I think a great challenge is sound design for motion.

Perhaps Use some of the 3D animator's movies requiring some sound and have the sound designers , composers work towards putting sound to them. Then the Animators get good sound design, and the audio people get video to sync to.

Submitted by Mick1460 on Tue, 20/09/05 - 10:05 PM Permalink

I should point out that the mention of the audio challenge was a 'tongue in cheek' comment but hey, LETS DO ONE ANYWAY!

I think that would be a perfect suggestion Groovyone. We could get ahold of a small mpeg cg movie from somewhere and have the challengers practise sound design. I will happily get Lava Injection Studios to sponsor the event with prizes to give further incentive!

What do you think Souri? Is it possible?

Submitted by lorien on Tue, 20/09/05 - 11:07 PM Permalink

I like your sense of humor Mick [:)]

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 20/09/05 - 11:35 PM Permalink

lorien, you could enter, and set the benchmark that everyone else would be judged on?

Though the exact format of the competition, I don't know... Perhaps someone does a random rendering of some funky stuff and the challenge will be to create music to it, sort of like a reverse visualisation?

Submitted by lorien on Wed, 21/09/05 - 12:04 AM Permalink

My main point in saying I shouldn't enter is afaik I'm the only person seriously studying game audio in australia, and with my background it probably wouldn't be fair. But I'm happy with Daemin's suggestion (means I couldn't win), and if this challenge happens and someone manages to pull of something better than me I'm going to want to buy them a beer! [:)]

Daemin has some idea of the things I've done in the past btw.

Submitted by Mick1460 on Thu, 22/09/05 - 6:13 PM Permalink

So what do you think Souri? Could an audio challenge be possible?

Submitted by souri on Thu, 22/09/05 - 9:17 PM Permalink

Yeh, certainly. Someone will have to write the competition guidelines once it's agreed on when it'll happen, how long for, and what form the audio challenge should take.

Submitted by bonnettjoshua on Tue, 09/05/06 - 5:27 AM Permalink

I'd love to be involved. Why shouldn't music be competitive?

Submitted by KAyo on Mon, 14/08/06 - 7:40 AM Permalink

Hello All,

I think this forum needs a little buzz. I suggest we all work towards getting this forum energized. I propose a sort of a healthy exchange of design and architecture.

To me, it's all about architecture and the message conveyed. Stagnant static designs bore me, which is why I propose a ORGANIC Audio GARDEN - OAG.

The rules I have multed for us are: After listening;
1) was the piece or overture moving.. did it pull any heart strings?
2) was the design and architecture breath taking?
3) was the production upto par?
4) was it a solo effort or a group effort?
5) was the feeling conveyed?
6) was the feeling lost in time and never recovered?
7) was techniques in design outstanding?
8)
9)
10)

Let's all post some work, hopefully short bursts... 3min only/-

As you can see, I have left the other three, for others to contribute to the judging process. What I am really trying to do is, get us all to recognize that, we all love our work and we'd all love to have a healthy discussion about our passion, which is music!

Sincerely to all,
KAyo

Submitted by KAyo on Thu, 24/08/06 - 2:13 AM Permalink

GOSH!!!!!!!!

Nobody has even answered the posting....
Man... this is goint to be a long wait looks like..

Cheers,
KAyo

Submitted by Mick1460 on Thu, 24/08/06 - 6:45 PM Permalink

Why don't you start and contribute a track of your own man! Get things rolling!