Skip to main content

The Sims

Submitted by Major Clod on
Forum

I've just been having a bit of an arguement with a guy at work here over the Sims 2. I bought a copy on Thursday when it came out and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. He thinks I'm an idiot for supporting EA and has been telling me that they will just continue to release more of this "crap." I counter with the arguement that games like Battlefield are more of a problem and simply encourage more military clones. I've shot down all of his arguments so I'm pretty sure he just doesn't like the game. Which is fair enough but it shits me when people give you shit simply because of something you like.

Anyway, I was interested to see what you guys think about the Sims and other similar games. I think they are great for the industry and selling well simply because they are targeting a new market rather than stealing players of your general FPS, RTS, RPG genre.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 18/09/04 - 8:00 PM Permalink

I played the sims and I liked it, not enough to dedicate a lot of time to it but I thought it was fun enough. Sort of like a plot less RPG, there are goals and objectives, you get experience points from doing learning activities etc. Its just all packaged in a form that those unfamiliar with the conventions of Sci fi / fantasy / military can relate to and come to grips with.

People demonize that which they don?t enjoy because it adds a justification to their choices and preferences and thusly makes said choices more valid and ergo themselves also. Its just an ego building exercise. Happens on all levels of life and society. The clothes you buy: Consumer whore / fashion victim, vs the style disposed / the lazy nerds. The food you eat, if you smoke or not, the car you drive. Very few people say I chose ?x? because I like it, most people instead say things like ?You chose/bought that, what where you thinking? You should have bought the superior brand ?x? which is coincidentally what I bought?.

Enough musings from me
Pantmonger

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 18/09/04 - 10:29 PM Permalink

The Sims was great, i have an older brother and sister and when i bought the sims the computer was permanently being used. I also have all the expansions. I absolutelly love the game. In fact i think your freind would be in the minority of gamer who hate the sims, as i'm pretty certain that the sims is the best selling PC game of all time. and what an original concept, get a family move 'em in and make 'em live.

I allso love simulators in general. Simcity, and all those tycoon games. They're just shit load of usually nonviolent fun

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 19/09/04 - 12:39 AM Permalink

Pants is on the ball major Clod, each to there own.

Both games have valid markets and reasons for existing, neither is a waste of time if someone enjoys it.

quote:I was interested to see what you guys think about the Sims and other similar games. I think they are great for the industry and selling well simply because they are targeting a new market rather than stealing players of your general FPS, RTS, RPG genre.

I for one play all those types of games, no one steals players from other genres. [:P]

Sims btw are not a new genre.
Flight sims, racing games etc appeared long before the newer and still smaller market share of FPS games.

The worring part of your post was that you mate said you were helping support EA?! Why not? Its the same as supporting any other publisher, they all have hits and misses with there games.

People just get into these bizarre clicky camps with regards to certain genres etc and they believe that there opinion is the only valid one.

Just like the whole pointless Sony vs Everyone argument. lol.

Enjoy your copy of Sims 2.[:)]

Submitted by Jacana on Sun, 19/09/04 - 7:46 PM Permalink

Lol :) The credit that must be given to the Sims as a whole is that it has reached out to a very large casual female gamer population. That in itself makes it unique :)

I got my copy of Sims 2 on Saturday. The have really put some humour into it. Just try the Woo-Hoo in the hottub ;) I about died laughing.

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 19/09/04 - 8:14 PM Permalink

Personally, i've never been a fan of The Sims, except for Sim Ant. However, i have heard good things about The Sims 2 so i might go and check it out at a friends place. Do they speak english in this version or is it still that Sim crap you cant understand?

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 20/09/04 - 11:26 PM Permalink

Heh I love the Sims, been playing Sims 2 for the past few days. Really good.
And yeah, they do speak "Sim-ish" but I would prefer that over english.

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 21/09/04 - 2:48 AM Permalink

Thought I've never played the sims, I would imagine that I might like something like it. Perhaps in a different setting, maybe someone could design an Anime/Manga sims? Something set in a universe like Megatokyo (www.megatokyo.com)?

But beside that I think that anything that pushes gaming into a different area is a good thing, since a lot of people are tired of mindless shooters (granted games like Call of Duty are a damn good experience by themselves) and RTS's. However I must point out some blunders into new areas of gaming, such as the games Black and White (was fun for a while, but the creature got annoying rather quickly), and Fable (haven't played it, but Penny Arcade folks dissed it heaps, discussing some bad design issues). Therefore just because a game contains an innovative idea or gameplay mechanic it doesn't mean that it should not be solidly designed overall.

I would also like to point people's attentions to Turn Based Games, such as the classic X-Com and the current game Silent Storm. I've been playing these games lately and they provide a nice break from all the fast paced action oriented games like C&C Generals and UT2k4 etc. (And as such I'm working on my own X-Com type clone game.)

Forum

I've just been having a bit of an arguement with a guy at work here over the Sims 2. I bought a copy on Thursday when it came out and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. He thinks I'm an idiot for supporting EA and has been telling me that they will just continue to release more of this "crap." I counter with the arguement that games like Battlefield are more of a problem and simply encourage more military clones. I've shot down all of his arguments so I'm pretty sure he just doesn't like the game. Which is fair enough but it shits me when people give you shit simply because of something you like.

Anyway, I was interested to see what you guys think about the Sims and other similar games. I think they are great for the industry and selling well simply because they are targeting a new market rather than stealing players of your general FPS, RTS, RPG genre.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sat, 18/09/04 - 8:00 PM Permalink

I played the sims and I liked it, not enough to dedicate a lot of time to it but I thought it was fun enough. Sort of like a plot less RPG, there are goals and objectives, you get experience points from doing learning activities etc. Its just all packaged in a form that those unfamiliar with the conventions of Sci fi / fantasy / military can relate to and come to grips with.

People demonize that which they don?t enjoy because it adds a justification to their choices and preferences and thusly makes said choices more valid and ergo themselves also. Its just an ego building exercise. Happens on all levels of life and society. The clothes you buy: Consumer whore / fashion victim, vs the style disposed / the lazy nerds. The food you eat, if you smoke or not, the car you drive. Very few people say I chose ?x? because I like it, most people instead say things like ?You chose/bought that, what where you thinking? You should have bought the superior brand ?x? which is coincidentally what I bought?.

Enough musings from me
Pantmonger

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 18/09/04 - 10:29 PM Permalink

The Sims was great, i have an older brother and sister and when i bought the sims the computer was permanently being used. I also have all the expansions. I absolutelly love the game. In fact i think your freind would be in the minority of gamer who hate the sims, as i'm pretty certain that the sims is the best selling PC game of all time. and what an original concept, get a family move 'em in and make 'em live.

I allso love simulators in general. Simcity, and all those tycoon games. They're just shit load of usually nonviolent fun

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 19/09/04 - 12:39 AM Permalink

Pants is on the ball major Clod, each to there own.

Both games have valid markets and reasons for existing, neither is a waste of time if someone enjoys it.

quote:I was interested to see what you guys think about the Sims and other similar games. I think they are great for the industry and selling well simply because they are targeting a new market rather than stealing players of your general FPS, RTS, RPG genre.

I for one play all those types of games, no one steals players from other genres. [:P]

Sims btw are not a new genre.
Flight sims, racing games etc appeared long before the newer and still smaller market share of FPS games.

The worring part of your post was that you mate said you were helping support EA?! Why not? Its the same as supporting any other publisher, they all have hits and misses with there games.

People just get into these bizarre clicky camps with regards to certain genres etc and they believe that there opinion is the only valid one.

Just like the whole pointless Sony vs Everyone argument. lol.

Enjoy your copy of Sims 2.[:)]

Submitted by Jacana on Sun, 19/09/04 - 7:46 PM Permalink

Lol :) The credit that must be given to the Sims as a whole is that it has reached out to a very large casual female gamer population. That in itself makes it unique :)

I got my copy of Sims 2 on Saturday. The have really put some humour into it. Just try the Woo-Hoo in the hottub ;) I about died laughing.

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 19/09/04 - 8:14 PM Permalink

Personally, i've never been a fan of The Sims, except for Sim Ant. However, i have heard good things about The Sims 2 so i might go and check it out at a friends place. Do they speak english in this version or is it still that Sim crap you cant understand?

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 20/09/04 - 11:26 PM Permalink

Heh I love the Sims, been playing Sims 2 for the past few days. Really good.
And yeah, they do speak "Sim-ish" but I would prefer that over english.

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 21/09/04 - 2:48 AM Permalink

Thought I've never played the sims, I would imagine that I might like something like it. Perhaps in a different setting, maybe someone could design an Anime/Manga sims? Something set in a universe like Megatokyo (www.megatokyo.com)?

But beside that I think that anything that pushes gaming into a different area is a good thing, since a lot of people are tired of mindless shooters (granted games like Call of Duty are a damn good experience by themselves) and RTS's. However I must point out some blunders into new areas of gaming, such as the games Black and White (was fun for a while, but the creature got annoying rather quickly), and Fable (haven't played it, but Penny Arcade folks dissed it heaps, discussing some bad design issues). Therefore just because a game contains an innovative idea or gameplay mechanic it doesn't mean that it should not be solidly designed overall.

I would also like to point people's attentions to Turn Based Games, such as the classic X-Com and the current game Silent Storm. I've been playing these games lately and they provide a nice break from all the fast paced action oriented games like C&C Generals and UT2k4 etc. (And as such I'm working on my own X-Com type clone game.)