Skip to main content

girls in red (partial nudity)

Submitted by Alti on

had some fun with this one.
any thoughts ?

[IMG]http://members.optusnet.com.au/altiquek/newcoveridea.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by J I Styles on Sun, 19/06/05 - 6:07 AM Permalink

Hey Alti, it's looking good -- I'm enjoying your pieces a lot more recently - your style is fast developing, and it's feeling more and more unique as The-Alti-Style [:)] I always feel hard pressed to crit on your pieces because I never feel too confident in what you intended, and what are valid crits [:)]

with that said, here's some thoughts on the piece:
- her left arm seems stunted, her right arm seems elongated; kind of a warping of length playing off each arm

-The mixed media works well, but could do with a little more refinement in eye-attracting areas.

-slight colour differance could be used to distinguish layers more clearly (eg, slightly cooler and less saturated colours on receding distance, warmer and more saturated on closer). Just a suggestion as opposed to using just pure tonal range to seperate distanced layers.

-has a good compositional feel

-I like the suggestion factor of the shadowy areas and glowy red eyes

-the pose looks a little awkward like you wouldn't be able to sustain it for more than a few seconds -- a bit more dynamic "slumped" pose with a greater shift of weight towards the center of mass could fix that.

-the lines across her body are a bit confusing as to if she's clothed in a skintight suit with seaming, or if those are lines on her actual flesh (or whatever she's composed of if those are "shell" seams).

-another pass on the girl in the upper ranges could've popped her apart a bit more; I think it's a border break/rim light, but the chair seems to have a higher range than the girl, so some specular pops on her skin could really make her stand apart in more detailed form.

I think that's about it, hope some of it helps [:)] Like I said, I'm never too sure about crits for your work since it always seems to have a definitive stylistic feel to it, so I hope that helps you

Submitted by Lechy on Sun, 19/06/05 - 7:37 PM Permalink

The first thing I see with this picture is the rubbery and out of shape left arm, and it bothers me so much that I don't even notice the rest of the anatomical problems. Even though you have a really cool style the anatomy problems just hit me like a brick. cheers.

Submitted by Jason on Mon, 20/06/05 - 3:52 AM Permalink

Hey Alti, I like the red theme you've got going on, JIStyles covered most of the crits. Probably the most glaring things about the image would have to be the pose and angle you've chosen. A flat, side on view of her sitting there is quite a boring compositional choice. There are so many other angles which can add more dynamic to your image. Also, the white outline around her hands stands out quite a lot. I understand what you're trying to achieve doing this, but using plain white when the rest of your image is in a red hue really skews your attention and focus on the image.

Anyway, I hope this helps, just my 2 cents :)

Submitted by Alti on Tue, 21/06/05 - 5:47 AM Permalink

J.I.styles > thanks so much for the good honest and helpfull critics on this piece, over all from the responces all over the net i feel i have learned a great deal from the mistakes i have made on this particular piece, lets hope there will be less in the next.
Over the past few months i can feel my style changing abit, becoming more defined as i experiment with different teckniques and materials, some day i hope to be comfortable in my own style that i have created over a few more years of experiments.
oh and i added that seam because i just was getting a flat feeling and wanted something for the eye to trace down to the feet.

Lechy> yeah she is rubbery, sorry about the brick :)

Jason> cheers man , and yeah all critic is a help to me.
i crave it like a fat man craves cake.

Posted by Alti on

had some fun with this one.
any thoughts ?

[IMG]http://members.optusnet.com.au/altiquek/newcoveridea.jpg[/IMG]

Submitted by J I Styles on Sun, 19/06/05 - 6:07 AM Permalink

Hey Alti, it's looking good -- I'm enjoying your pieces a lot more recently - your style is fast developing, and it's feeling more and more unique as The-Alti-Style [:)] I always feel hard pressed to crit on your pieces because I never feel too confident in what you intended, and what are valid crits [:)]

with that said, here's some thoughts on the piece:
- her left arm seems stunted, her right arm seems elongated; kind of a warping of length playing off each arm

-The mixed media works well, but could do with a little more refinement in eye-attracting areas.

-slight colour differance could be used to distinguish layers more clearly (eg, slightly cooler and less saturated colours on receding distance, warmer and more saturated on closer). Just a suggestion as opposed to using just pure tonal range to seperate distanced layers.

-has a good compositional feel

-I like the suggestion factor of the shadowy areas and glowy red eyes

-the pose looks a little awkward like you wouldn't be able to sustain it for more than a few seconds -- a bit more dynamic "slumped" pose with a greater shift of weight towards the center of mass could fix that.

-the lines across her body are a bit confusing as to if she's clothed in a skintight suit with seaming, or if those are lines on her actual flesh (or whatever she's composed of if those are "shell" seams).

-another pass on the girl in the upper ranges could've popped her apart a bit more; I think it's a border break/rim light, but the chair seems to have a higher range than the girl, so some specular pops on her skin could really make her stand apart in more detailed form.

I think that's about it, hope some of it helps [:)] Like I said, I'm never too sure about crits for your work since it always seems to have a definitive stylistic feel to it, so I hope that helps you

Submitted by Lechy on Sun, 19/06/05 - 7:37 PM Permalink

The first thing I see with this picture is the rubbery and out of shape left arm, and it bothers me so much that I don't even notice the rest of the anatomical problems. Even though you have a really cool style the anatomy problems just hit me like a brick. cheers.

Submitted by Jason on Mon, 20/06/05 - 3:52 AM Permalink

Hey Alti, I like the red theme you've got going on, JIStyles covered most of the crits. Probably the most glaring things about the image would have to be the pose and angle you've chosen. A flat, side on view of her sitting there is quite a boring compositional choice. There are so many other angles which can add more dynamic to your image. Also, the white outline around her hands stands out quite a lot. I understand what you're trying to achieve doing this, but using plain white when the rest of your image is in a red hue really skews your attention and focus on the image.

Anyway, I hope this helps, just my 2 cents :)

Submitted by Alti on Tue, 21/06/05 - 5:47 AM Permalink

J.I.styles > thanks so much for the good honest and helpfull critics on this piece, over all from the responces all over the net i feel i have learned a great deal from the mistakes i have made on this particular piece, lets hope there will be less in the next.
Over the past few months i can feel my style changing abit, becoming more defined as i experiment with different teckniques and materials, some day i hope to be comfortable in my own style that i have created over a few more years of experiments.
oh and i added that seam because i just was getting a flat feeling and wanted something for the eye to trace down to the feet.

Lechy> yeah she is rubbery, sorry about the brick :)

Jason> cheers man , and yeah all critic is a help to me.
i crave it like a fat man craves cake.