Skip to main content

Edgar Allen Poe

Submitted by conundrum on

well im starting another new thread, this one is for my entry into the cgtalk game art comp. the topic is to model a fighting game character based on a historical figure, ie napoleon, einstein etc. so i did the horror author Poe as his backround should allow for a pretty cool theme and he's a just a wierd looking guy, which is good for making him stand out. because its for a fighting game the limit is huge (15000) so im giving about a fifth or probably a bit more of it to the head. The progress so far is not yet optimized so there are a lot of dense flat regions which i ought to be able to get rid of, although some places (such as the eyebrows) i want to keep fairly detailed even if there is no definition so that the face is animatable. the current polycount is 3360 tris and the moustache is temporary, it should be closer to the photo once the texture is done.
as per usual any crits and comments are welcome.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/2004121610197_Face-1.j…]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 18/12/04 - 5:27 AM Permalink

Hey Conny (can I call you that?) off to a decent start there, and a great idea for the comp (think I may jump over and enter).

From looking at your mesh it seems as though you've concentrated too much on adding smaller details such as the bags under his eyes and saggy cheeks before making sure you've got a roughed out mesh that's in proportion and matches your reference pic.

Things I noticed are that his nose is much longer in your model, and he seems to be suffering from a case of flat face. Try to trim down his forehead a bit and bring in the bridge of his nose, while also bringing the cheeks out a little. I think his head's just a little too boxy at the moment as his cheeks almost have a defined corner to them.

What I'd do is trim the mesh down a lot, make sure you've got the proportions right first, then go about adding the finer details.

Hope these crits are constructive.

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 18/12/04 - 7:26 AM Permalink

yeah, thanks for the suggestion,your right about the boxiness of the front, ive done a little bit of improvement but will work more on your suggestions. luckily this is just a subdivided version of my control mesh so it shouldbe an easy fix, i think the main problem is that i dont have a side reference for him so its been a bit of guess work

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 18/12/04 - 9:51 AM Permalink

just one thing i oticed about the construction around the mouth: it's a lot like a grid, while from what i've seen it should be more like this:

[img]http://img159.exs.cx/img159/3459/wipannjul073ib.jpg[/img]

that's based of what i've seen and what i've been reading in Stop Staring (very good book). The construction should loop around the mouth and eyes for the correct deformation, particually for creasing when smiling.

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 18/12/04 - 12:45 PM Permalink

thanks a lot, i know my faces are not particularly good, as yet i have never really found anything worth using as a reference but this should be very helpful. i cartainly am pretty far off around the face so ill have to try and fix that in particular.

anyway, this is my progress today on the body, im fairly pleased with it (certainly my best yet). still need to get rid of a lot of useless polys on the shoulders and biceps. any more comments will be definately be helpful.
thanks

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/200412179458_Body-1.jp…]

Submitted by denz on Sat, 18/12/04 - 1:53 PM Permalink

Nice progress. He looks way beefed up then the head ref, but i guess it is for a fighting game :)

I agree with Wizned. Holy crap his name backwards is almost my name! Just work on the forms a bit more, your getting the saggyness of the skin across so thats cool.

Keep it up.

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 21/12/04 - 6:26 AM Permalink

watch your poly distribution - you have some very high areas and some very low areas, and 15000 tris to play with.

i've been reading about this comp on cgtalk, sounds interesting. i am in the middel of building a new track for Scootarama but i might put it aside for a bit and give this a go instead.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 22/12/04 - 11:04 AM Permalink

He looks abit short, his head is abit big and his body is a bit wide compared to his hieght.
I really like the head :)

Posted by conundrum on

well im starting another new thread, this one is for my entry into the cgtalk game art comp. the topic is to model a fighting game character based on a historical figure, ie napoleon, einstein etc. so i did the horror author Poe as his backround should allow for a pretty cool theme and he's a just a wierd looking guy, which is good for making him stand out. because its for a fighting game the limit is huge (15000) so im giving about a fifth or probably a bit more of it to the head. The progress so far is not yet optimized so there are a lot of dense flat regions which i ought to be able to get rid of, although some places (such as the eyebrows) i want to keep fairly detailed even if there is no definition so that the face is animatable. the current polycount is 3360 tris and the moustache is temporary, it should be closer to the photo once the texture is done.
as per usual any crits and comments are welcome.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/2004121610197_Face-1.j…]

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 18/12/04 - 5:27 AM Permalink

Hey Conny (can I call you that?) off to a decent start there, and a great idea for the comp (think I may jump over and enter).

From looking at your mesh it seems as though you've concentrated too much on adding smaller details such as the bags under his eyes and saggy cheeks before making sure you've got a roughed out mesh that's in proportion and matches your reference pic.

Things I noticed are that his nose is much longer in your model, and he seems to be suffering from a case of flat face. Try to trim down his forehead a bit and bring in the bridge of his nose, while also bringing the cheeks out a little. I think his head's just a little too boxy at the moment as his cheeks almost have a defined corner to them.

What I'd do is trim the mesh down a lot, make sure you've got the proportions right first, then go about adding the finer details.

Hope these crits are constructive.

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 18/12/04 - 7:26 AM Permalink

yeah, thanks for the suggestion,your right about the boxiness of the front, ive done a little bit of improvement but will work more on your suggestions. luckily this is just a subdivided version of my control mesh so it shouldbe an easy fix, i think the main problem is that i dont have a side reference for him so its been a bit of guess work

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 18/12/04 - 9:51 AM Permalink

just one thing i oticed about the construction around the mouth: it's a lot like a grid, while from what i've seen it should be more like this:

[img]http://img159.exs.cx/img159/3459/wipannjul073ib.jpg[/img]

that's based of what i've seen and what i've been reading in Stop Staring (very good book). The construction should loop around the mouth and eyes for the correct deformation, particually for creasing when smiling.

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 18/12/04 - 12:45 PM Permalink

thanks a lot, i know my faces are not particularly good, as yet i have never really found anything worth using as a reference but this should be very helpful. i cartainly am pretty far off around the face so ill have to try and fix that in particular.

anyway, this is my progress today on the body, im fairly pleased with it (certainly my best yet). still need to get rid of a lot of useless polys on the shoulders and biceps. any more comments will be definately be helpful.
thanks

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/200412179458_Body-1.jp…]

Submitted by denz on Sat, 18/12/04 - 1:53 PM Permalink

Nice progress. He looks way beefed up then the head ref, but i guess it is for a fighting game :)

I agree with Wizned. Holy crap his name backwards is almost my name! Just work on the forms a bit more, your getting the saggyness of the skin across so thats cool.

Keep it up.

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 21/12/04 - 6:26 AM Permalink

watch your poly distribution - you have some very high areas and some very low areas, and 15000 tris to play with.

i've been reading about this comp on cgtalk, sounds interesting. i am in the middel of building a new track for Scootarama but i might put it aside for a bit and give this a go instead.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 22/12/04 - 11:04 AM Permalink

He looks abit short, his head is abit big and his body is a bit wide compared to his hieght.
I really like the head :)