Skip to main content

What is spam?

Submitted by Blitz on

Hmm, personally i consider Finger's flood of replies to the "Looking for work" threads to be spam. I'm wondering if this annoys other people also, or are the people who post in the looking for work section interested in being contacted on a sweep basis by recruitment agencies?
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 17/09/03 - 6:50 AM Permalink

I'm not sure if you'd call it spam, but it does seem to give an indication of a desperate person with a "I'll just try and grab everyone" approach.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 17/09/03 - 7:01 AM Permalink

I do also think that it is spam, the guy didn't read the content of peoples looking for work posts, he just posted the same "are you interested" line, cut and pasted into each thread. Ignoring that that it states on the thread title do not reply to posts.

It seems a bit wrong. He is being lazy and rather then looking at the sites of those who have posted in the looking for work section, and realising that most of us have the type of work we are after and our resumes posted there and then contacting us privately if the work was what we wanted. He instead floods the forum with generic repetition.
All I can say is that if you are a company using this recument agency you might want to look for a different one.

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Wed, 17/09/03 - 10:44 AM Permalink

I've seen recruitment agencies do much worse on other websites (especially those in the IT field). In some cases, websites have had to change how they approach advertising jobs/job seekers as a result. Hopefully it won't get to that stage here.

Posted by Blitz on

Hmm, personally i consider Finger's flood of replies to the "Looking for work" threads to be spam. I'm wondering if this annoys other people also, or are the people who post in the looking for work section interested in being contacted on a sweep basis by recruitment agencies?
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Red 5 on Wed, 17/09/03 - 6:50 AM Permalink

I'm not sure if you'd call it spam, but it does seem to give an indication of a desperate person with a "I'll just try and grab everyone" approach.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 17/09/03 - 7:01 AM Permalink

I do also think that it is spam, the guy didn't read the content of peoples looking for work posts, he just posted the same "are you interested" line, cut and pasted into each thread. Ignoring that that it states on the thread title do not reply to posts.

It seems a bit wrong. He is being lazy and rather then looking at the sites of those who have posted in the looking for work section, and realising that most of us have the type of work we are after and our resumes posted there and then contacting us privately if the work was what we wanted. He instead floods the forum with generic repetition.
All I can say is that if you are a company using this recument agency you might want to look for a different one.

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Wed, 17/09/03 - 10:44 AM Permalink

I've seen recruitment agencies do much worse on other websites (especially those in the IT field). In some cases, websites have had to change how they approach advertising jobs/job seekers as a result. Hopefully it won't get to that stage here.