Skip to main content

Collaborative Project in Brisbane

Submitted by Lincoln on
Forum

Hi Everyone,

I've been developing my own engine for about 4 months now, and I think it's about time I got some other people on board! So here's the deal:

What I'm planning to make is a story-based action/espionge type game with a reasonably long story arc. I've already got alot of engine code done and have a tech demo up and running, but it's starting to get a bit too big for me to handle on the code side of things!

I've already got some team members on board for Design, 2D art, music, character modeling/ animation and level design... but we could always use some more!

The purpose of all this is to make a demo good enough to get us jobs, but to also take it to the AGDC Independent Games Comp this year and maybe even pick up some form of funding! But for now it's strictly volunteer work. The idea is as people get jobs out of it, we take on new volunteers to replace them if they no longer want to take part.

This project is aimed at people who have been making demos on their own or have one cool character, level or piece of technology they want to showcase in a full game rather than just a spinning cube or blank background! We can all help each other make something good!

I am looking for anyone who wants to help out, but specifically:
------------------------------------------------------------------
* A web designer... We need a website to get this thing happening with a forum of our own! Nothing too crazy, just a site that works will do!

* General Programmers (Gameplay systems, etc...)

* Advanced graphics systems programmers (shadowing, shader management + creation, normal mapping, lighting, culling, etc...)

* Character models / animation... the more models we can create the more in-depth the game can be!

* Level designers

* Texture artists

If you're interested, post on here or email me: markschiemann@hotmail.com

By the way, this is just an idea and I'd like to hear any suggestions or comments you might have!

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 16/08/04 - 9:51 PM Permalink

if all goes to play i should be done with my scooter project by october i think, more likly november though. whatever the case i'll be happy to start some work then. i have some ideas for characters and environments and i think we could make this far more attractive than what we had last year (i am so ashamed of that level...)

Submitted by urgrund on Mon, 23/08/04 - 2:44 AM Permalink

is there a d/l for the tech dmeo? wouldm't mind checking out what features the engine has.

Also, what are the tools like for level design?

Submitted by Lincoln on Wed, 25/08/04 - 11:47 PM Permalink

My site is http:\mark.mpglee.com, the "Ballistic Engine Demo" is the most current version of the projet.

Submitted by Skribble on Fri, 27/08/04 - 8:36 AM Permalink

Hey dude the engine looks sweet. Im at TAFE at the moment so i cant download the demo but i will when i get home. Im fluent in macromedia flash,animation and actionscript alike so if u want a flash site i would gladly make one up.

Unfortunatly im only a begginer in 3D modeling (which is why im at TAFE) so i cant help out there. [;)]

Submitted by montenague on Sun, 28/11/04 - 9:40 AM Permalink

Just dl and ran your tech demo, good stuff! 4 moths you say?
ive not seen any early engine stuff before so im unsure what to make of it or visualise and end product, but i must say im impressed for a one man job from scratch.
and it seems you already have a great sound man!
There are obvious issues I can point out, but im sure your already aware of them, such as the speed in which the character strafes when in sneak mode.

I am quite interested in contributing as I am in the same situation, trying to get things done for folio work, I am doing 3d modelling and animation at uni here and have been doing level design for Half-life and things for quite some time

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 29/11/04 - 2:43 AM Permalink

fArkus scored himself a job in Melbourne recently so you can probably consider this project scrapped.

Posted by Lincoln on
Forum

Hi Everyone,

I've been developing my own engine for about 4 months now, and I think it's about time I got some other people on board! So here's the deal:

What I'm planning to make is a story-based action/espionge type game with a reasonably long story arc. I've already got alot of engine code done and have a tech demo up and running, but it's starting to get a bit too big for me to handle on the code side of things!

I've already got some team members on board for Design, 2D art, music, character modeling/ animation and level design... but we could always use some more!

The purpose of all this is to make a demo good enough to get us jobs, but to also take it to the AGDC Independent Games Comp this year and maybe even pick up some form of funding! But for now it's strictly volunteer work. The idea is as people get jobs out of it, we take on new volunteers to replace them if they no longer want to take part.

This project is aimed at people who have been making demos on their own or have one cool character, level or piece of technology they want to showcase in a full game rather than just a spinning cube or blank background! We can all help each other make something good!

I am looking for anyone who wants to help out, but specifically:
* A web designer... We need a website to get this thing happening with a forum of our own! Nothing too crazy, just a site that works will do!

* General Programmers (Gameplay systems, etc...)

* Advanced graphics systems programmers (shadowing, shader management + creation, normal mapping, lighting, culling, etc...)

* Character models / animation... the more models we can create the more in-depth the game can be!

* Level designers

* Texture artists

If you're interested, post on here or email me: markschiemann@hotmail.com

By the way, this is just an idea and I'd like to hear any suggestions or comments you might have!

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 16/08/04 - 9:51 PM Permalink

if all goes to play i should be done with my scooter project by october i think, more likly november though. whatever the case i'll be happy to start some work then. i have some ideas for characters and environments and i think we could make this far more attractive than what we had last year (i am so ashamed of that level...)

Submitted by urgrund on Mon, 23/08/04 - 2:44 AM Permalink

is there a d/l for the tech dmeo? wouldm't mind checking out what features the engine has.

Also, what are the tools like for level design?

Submitted by Lincoln on Wed, 25/08/04 - 11:47 PM Permalink

My site is http:\mark.mpglee.com, the "Ballistic Engine Demo" is the most current version of the projet.

Submitted by Skribble on Fri, 27/08/04 - 8:36 AM Permalink

Hey dude the engine looks sweet. Im at TAFE at the moment so i cant download the demo but i will when i get home. Im fluent in macromedia flash,animation and actionscript alike so if u want a flash site i would gladly make one up.

Unfortunatly im only a begginer in 3D modeling (which is why im at TAFE) so i cant help out there. [;)]

Submitted by montenague on Sun, 28/11/04 - 9:40 AM Permalink

Just dl and ran your tech demo, good stuff! 4 moths you say?
ive not seen any early engine stuff before so im unsure what to make of it or visualise and end product, but i must say im impressed for a one man job from scratch.
and it seems you already have a great sound man!
There are obvious issues I can point out, but im sure your already aware of them, such as the speed in which the character strafes when in sneak mode.

I am quite interested in contributing as I am in the same situation, trying to get things done for folio work, I am doing 3d modelling and animation at uni here and have been doing level design for Half-life and things for quite some time

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 29/11/04 - 2:43 AM Permalink

fArkus scored himself a job in Melbourne recently so you can probably consider this project scrapped.