Skip to main content

trapped as a factory slave

Submitted by adie on
Forum

Hey havent posted here for ages .. been working in my crappy job making 8 Guitars every day .. gettin
paid stuff all . which dosnt give me mutch time to make animations or draw or do anthing fun .. have lots of idears but no time or energy to make them [:(!]
But I think its time i started to do somthing again, to make my folio new and better... but for now i thnk ill just try and master drawing in color in photoshop..witch i am not very good at realy ..so heres my first drawing.. what u think 15 min?
[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/adie/200611672224_figurepaiting…"]figurepaiting.jpg[/url]
74.43 KBg
..please help make me fee again or u could buy me i have good teeth and dont have to eat or drink mutch ..hehe

Submitted by Brain on Tue, 17/01/06 - 9:18 PM Permalink

Keep them coming. Do more. Practice practice practice! Visit here more! Find your inspiration again! Smash a guitar! Paint a guitar! Send me a guitar! LIVE DAMN YOU! LIIIIIVE!!

*cough* It's good to see you doing something again. Keep it up and don't lose the faith. @:-)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 17/01/06 - 11:26 PM Permalink

like the face of the girl, just keep going man!

Submitted by adie on Wed, 18/01/06 - 9:04 AM Permalink

Lots of thanks Brain & moonunit .. i only wish i could smash a guitar!

insteadd heres a pic of a dude burning one instead 35min
I was trying to capture the rage inside me!! [B)]
[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/adie/200611755951_burnG.jpg"]burnG.jpg[/url]
40.3 KB

its made me feel sort of fee for a few min.. maybe tomorow that feeling will last a bit longer if i draw a better pic [8]
still verey messy, but hey i dont have time for pollished works till i get better and faster with my coloring.

Any tips when for drawing drecty with color or colroing in sketches, like what color should i draw the sketch in to help blend shading into the color. or sothing to try and do in my next

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 18/01/06 - 9:19 AM Permalink

dont use white for highlights!!!
Colour is determined by so many things, light, environment, there is soooo much info on it that it can be a little overwhelming. Do some seraching on colour theory but be be warned it can get compicated!!!
Remember though, Value is more important then colour. Get your values right and you can pretty much use whatever colour you want.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 18/01/06 - 9:49 PM Permalink

one thing for digital painting is to try and borrow from traditional methods. Ultimately, if you can visualise what you want the final to look like, you're 90% to being finished before you've even put brush to canvas (stylus to tablet?). To summarise a few practical things in this regard:

- Consider the average mood and palette; if it's a predominantly light piece, underwash with the highest point and then work back into darks. If it's a dark piece, start from the lowest point and work up. An example, your scene is a moody fantasy work, orange light and blue shadows - fill your canvas with the darker blue and work up through the orange, keeping it consistent and not being afraid to keep pieces of the underwash popping through.

- rules shmmoooolllz; there's a whole world of artists out their that have been practising their trade for the last few thousand years... learn from their example and spend at least some time learning for learnings sake. If you're trying to learn how to animate, you don't jump into a 300 man battle scene, you start with bouncy balls and understanding how motion curves work etc... with painting/illustration it's the same -- no mona lisa without countless studies and experiments. I guess the simplest way to say it is try and forget painting a painting every once in a while, and try to just do a study to learn from. If you want to learn how to illustrate hands, don't spend 5 hours on a character (that's 1 set of hands...) - instead spend 30 minutes on sketching 20 hands in different poses, you'll be amazed at how rapidly you develop. Same goes with every other concept in painting/illustration.

- try and push your bases before even considering anything else -- I'm really bad at this one unless I force myself. Try and block in forms by pure light, squint and/or zoom out and try to aim for it to look as much like your goal (or a photo) at that level before tightening anything.

- Copy others! Go have a look at http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/contents.asp and find some traditional artists that have spent their entire lifetimes perfecting their art (I love Bouguereau for study)... then drink of their gooey knowledge by studying them, copying them, and trying to understand them.

Submitted by adie on Thu, 19/01/06 - 8:57 AM Permalink

Thanks J.I.Styles for your time ..you have given me some verey handy points to start with , and i like your disregard for rules..heheh sorry i dont have time tonight to draw..I think ill leave my safty zone of figures and do a landcape , I'm hoping this will make me concentrate a bit more. oh yeah that artrenewal site is great havent been there befor thnaks again

Posted by adie on
Forum

Hey havent posted here for ages .. been working in my crappy job making 8 Guitars every day .. gettin
paid stuff all . which dosnt give me mutch time to make animations or draw or do anthing fun .. have lots of idears but no time or energy to make them [:(!]
But I think its time i started to do somthing again, to make my folio new and better... but for now i thnk ill just try and master drawing in color in photoshop..witch i am not very good at realy ..so heres my first drawing.. what u think 15 min?
[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/adie/200611672224_figurepaiting…"]figurepaiting.jpg[/url]
74.43 KBg
..please help make me fee again or u could buy me i have good teeth and dont have to eat or drink mutch ..hehe

Submitted by Brain on Tue, 17/01/06 - 9:18 PM Permalink

Keep them coming. Do more. Practice practice practice! Visit here more! Find your inspiration again! Smash a guitar! Paint a guitar! Send me a guitar! LIVE DAMN YOU! LIIIIIVE!!

*cough* It's good to see you doing something again. Keep it up and don't lose the faith. @:-)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 17/01/06 - 11:26 PM Permalink

like the face of the girl, just keep going man!

Submitted by adie on Wed, 18/01/06 - 9:04 AM Permalink

Lots of thanks Brain & moonunit .. i only wish i could smash a guitar!

insteadd heres a pic of a dude burning one instead 35min
I was trying to capture the rage inside me!! [B)]
[img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Download Attachment: [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/adie/200611755951_burnG.jpg"]burnG.jpg[/url]
40.3 KB

its made me feel sort of fee for a few min.. maybe tomorow that feeling will last a bit longer if i draw a better pic [8]
still verey messy, but hey i dont have time for pollished works till i get better and faster with my coloring.

Any tips when for drawing drecty with color or colroing in sketches, like what color should i draw the sketch in to help blend shading into the color. or sothing to try and do in my next

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 18/01/06 - 9:19 AM Permalink

dont use white for highlights!!!
Colour is determined by so many things, light, environment, there is soooo much info on it that it can be a little overwhelming. Do some seraching on colour theory but be be warned it can get compicated!!!
Remember though, Value is more important then colour. Get your values right and you can pretty much use whatever colour you want.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 18/01/06 - 9:49 PM Permalink

one thing for digital painting is to try and borrow from traditional methods. Ultimately, if you can visualise what you want the final to look like, you're 90% to being finished before you've even put brush to canvas (stylus to tablet?). To summarise a few practical things in this regard:

- Consider the average mood and palette; if it's a predominantly light piece, underwash with the highest point and then work back into darks. If it's a dark piece, start from the lowest point and work up. An example, your scene is a moody fantasy work, orange light and blue shadows - fill your canvas with the darker blue and work up through the orange, keeping it consistent and not being afraid to keep pieces of the underwash popping through.

- rules shmmoooolllz; there's a whole world of artists out their that have been practising their trade for the last few thousand years... learn from their example and spend at least some time learning for learnings sake. If you're trying to learn how to animate, you don't jump into a 300 man battle scene, you start with bouncy balls and understanding how motion curves work etc... with painting/illustration it's the same -- no mona lisa without countless studies and experiments. I guess the simplest way to say it is try and forget painting a painting every once in a while, and try to just do a study to learn from. If you want to learn how to illustrate hands, don't spend 5 hours on a character (that's 1 set of hands...) - instead spend 30 minutes on sketching 20 hands in different poses, you'll be amazed at how rapidly you develop. Same goes with every other concept in painting/illustration.

- try and push your bases before even considering anything else -- I'm really bad at this one unless I force myself. Try and block in forms by pure light, squint and/or zoom out and try to aim for it to look as much like your goal (or a photo) at that level before tightening anything.

- Copy others! Go have a look at http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/contents.asp and find some traditional artists that have spent their entire lifetimes perfecting their art (I love Bouguereau for study)... then drink of their gooey knowledge by studying them, copying them, and trying to understand them.

Submitted by adie on Thu, 19/01/06 - 8:57 AM Permalink

Thanks J.I.Styles for your time ..you have given me some verey handy points to start with , and i like your disregard for rules..heheh sorry i dont have time tonight to draw..I think ill leave my safty zone of figures and do a landcape , I'm hoping this will make me concentrate a bit more. oh yeah that artrenewal site is great havent been there befor thnaks again