Skip to main content

ASDL or bust?

Submitted by Malus on
Forum

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I've been pondering for a while and I thought you guys/gals may be able to help.

I recently moved and when I did my damn modem packed it in, I am looking at getting ASDL since they can't put in cable in my ancient neighbourhood, 10 minutes walk to the Brisbanes CBD lol, go Telstra!!

What plans do people recommend.
Would I be better off just sticking to 56k modem badness? I don't play online games often and rarely download much but that is probably due to the fact I've always only had dialup.

Anyway if anyone has any helpful comments then shoot.

Cheer,

Dean

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 16/09/03 - 7:36 PM Permalink

If you can affort ADSL, then go for it :)

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 16/09/03 - 8:26 PM Permalink

Hey Malus, I got ADSL earlier this year. I researched a lot of providers and two that stood out were netspace and inet... I went for netspace.

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 16/09/03 - 9:41 PM Permalink

I'm with netspace.

Submitted by lava monkey on Tue, 16/09/03 - 9:51 PM Permalink

i just signed up with tpg which is a pretty good deal.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 16/09/03 - 10:53 PM Permalink

Thanks for the replies everyone,
I was checking out iinet also Red5, my friend has it and said its pretty good.

Netspace and Tpg hey, I'll check them out.

Thanks again.

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 17/09/03 - 6:10 AM Permalink

Netspace and internode were looking good last time i checked. But that was about 8 months ago. Check www.whirlpool.net.au for broadband pricing guides/news etc. very good website. Also, broadband is 10193849327492349 times better than 56k, so if you can afford it i say go for it. I'd love to get it here, but i'm too far from the exchange or some shit so i'll move at the end of the year :)
Just the fact that you're always online and don't have to dialup (no disconnections, no busy signals) is great, and online gaming experiences are fantastic! :) Btw, in general ADSL plans are much better than cable plans, and adsl services are usually just as good or better...unless you';re with telstra :)
Last thing, i've heard TPG have really bad customer service (as bad as telstras).
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 17/09/03 - 6:56 PM Permalink

Cheers Blitz, I had checked out whirlpool earlier, good site.

Submitted by ironikart (not verified) on Thu, 18/09/03 - 10:51 PM Permalink

I have just come off my Telstra cable plan that I have been on for about 2 or 3 years. I'm not going back to Telstra as I'm sick of the download limit and general highway robbery they partake in.

I'm looking for a good DSL plan too, only this time I want unlimited download. There is a 512/128 unlimited download plan from [url]www.dart.net.au[/url] but I've missed out on their free installation offer, now its $140 install for 6 month plan or $60 for 12 months.

Can anyone recommend a DSL modem?

Submitted by Ninja (not verified) on Fri, 19/09/03 - 10:18 PM Permalink

I've had good experience with internode, very friendly customer service and good prices. I've also heard good things about oz forces.

I'm like you I don't download much or play games, so I'm sitting on a 256k 2 gig cap plan with internode for $60 a month, and rarely use up all 2 gig.

I would definately go for DSL, it works out about the same price as dialup anyways after you take into account all the extra costs involved with dialup like the connection fee ( i was using about $15-20 a month just dialing in =) and any extra lines you would probably have so you could use your phone at the same time (another $20 or so a month for me).

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 05/11/03 - 9:08 AM Permalink

I'm not too sure if people are interested in DSL plans, but I too am with Netspeed. I have the 'All You Can Eat' 512/128k deal, and it is faaaaaan-tastic. In the first month I dl 50gb :P They didn't have a cry at me either.

At the time I was looking at Internode as well, but i didn't like their limitations to their unlimited packages. Where once you had dl 30gb, you were throttled back to dial up speeds.

I have said my piece now, so I'll be off.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 10/01/04 - 4:56 AM Permalink

Is anyone using their cable connection for phone as well? Do you get charged extra, apart from your calls out (e.g phone service fee) ?? What are your costs? I'm paying $80 a month for phone, which includes a $26 phone service and equipment fee (they haven't even given me a phone) + many local calls due to dialing up the isp, so I'd probably be better off going or a cable/phone deal..

Posted by Malus on
Forum

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I've been pondering for a while and I thought you guys/gals may be able to help.

I recently moved and when I did my damn modem packed it in, I am looking at getting ASDL since they can't put in cable in my ancient neighbourhood, 10 minutes walk to the Brisbanes CBD lol, go Telstra!!

What plans do people recommend.
Would I be better off just sticking to 56k modem badness? I don't play online games often and rarely download much but that is probably due to the fact I've always only had dialup.

Anyway if anyone has any helpful comments then shoot.

Cheer,

Dean

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 16/09/03 - 7:36 PM Permalink

If you can affort ADSL, then go for it :)

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 16/09/03 - 8:26 PM Permalink

Hey Malus, I got ADSL earlier this year. I researched a lot of providers and two that stood out were netspace and inet... I went for netspace.

Submitted by smeg on Tue, 16/09/03 - 9:41 PM Permalink

I'm with netspace.

Submitted by lava monkey on Tue, 16/09/03 - 9:51 PM Permalink

i just signed up with tpg which is a pretty good deal.

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 16/09/03 - 10:53 PM Permalink

Thanks for the replies everyone,
I was checking out iinet also Red5, my friend has it and said its pretty good.

Netspace and Tpg hey, I'll check them out.

Thanks again.

Submitted by Blitz on Wed, 17/09/03 - 6:10 AM Permalink

Netspace and internode were looking good last time i checked. But that was about 8 months ago. Check www.whirlpool.net.au for broadband pricing guides/news etc. very good website. Also, broadband is 10193849327492349 times better than 56k, so if you can afford it i say go for it. I'd love to get it here, but i'm too far from the exchange or some shit so i'll move at the end of the year :)
Just the fact that you're always online and don't have to dialup (no disconnections, no busy signals) is great, and online gaming experiences are fantastic! :) Btw, in general ADSL plans are much better than cable plans, and adsl services are usually just as good or better...unless you';re with telstra :)
Last thing, i've heard TPG have really bad customer service (as bad as telstras).
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 17/09/03 - 6:56 PM Permalink

Cheers Blitz, I had checked out whirlpool earlier, good site.

Submitted by ironikart (not verified) on Thu, 18/09/03 - 10:51 PM Permalink

I have just come off my Telstra cable plan that I have been on for about 2 or 3 years. I'm not going back to Telstra as I'm sick of the download limit and general highway robbery they partake in.

I'm looking for a good DSL plan too, only this time I want unlimited download. There is a 512/128 unlimited download plan from [url]www.dart.net.au[/url] but I've missed out on their free installation offer, now its $140 install for 6 month plan or $60 for 12 months.

Can anyone recommend a DSL modem?

Submitted by Ninja (not verified) on Fri, 19/09/03 - 10:18 PM Permalink

I've had good experience with internode, very friendly customer service and good prices. I've also heard good things about oz forces.

I'm like you I don't download much or play games, so I'm sitting on a 256k 2 gig cap plan with internode for $60 a month, and rarely use up all 2 gig.

I would definately go for DSL, it works out about the same price as dialup anyways after you take into account all the extra costs involved with dialup like the connection fee ( i was using about $15-20 a month just dialing in =) and any extra lines you would probably have so you could use your phone at the same time (another $20 or so a month for me).

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 05/11/03 - 9:08 AM Permalink

I'm not too sure if people are interested in DSL plans, but I too am with Netspeed. I have the 'All You Can Eat' 512/128k deal, and it is faaaaaan-tastic. In the first month I dl 50gb :P They didn't have a cry at me either.

At the time I was looking at Internode as well, but i didn't like their limitations to their unlimited packages. Where once you had dl 30gb, you were throttled back to dial up speeds.

I have said my piece now, so I'll be off.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 10/01/04 - 4:56 AM Permalink

Is anyone using their cable connection for phone as well? Do you get charged extra, apart from your calls out (e.g phone service fee) ?? What are your costs? I'm paying $80 a month for phone, which includes a $26 phone service and equipment fee (they haven't even given me a phone) + many local calls due to dialing up the isp, so I'd probably be better off going or a cable/phone deal..