Skip to main content

Metal Gear Solid 3 code stolen

Submitted by Cm2 on
Forum

I read this from ign :

"Two unidentified people attending E3 yesterday made off with the demo code for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. The one-level demo has been on display at Sony and Konami's booths.

According to reports, the two thieves, believed to be young men between 19-20 years old, cracked the case protecting the demo PS2 and leaned against the unit until they were able to eject the disc. They then made a mad dash for the doors.

The LAPD are currently investigating the situation, though details about the perpetrators are still unknown. We've heard no official comment from Konami, Sony, or the Los Angeles Convention Center so far, but we'll keep you updated with developments as they come in.

-- David Adams "

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 16/05/04 - 4:59 AM Permalink

omg that goes beyond hacking and stuff, thats just plain stupid theivery.

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 16/05/04 - 7:52 AM Permalink

Heh. I read that article earlier.

I think it goes to show that it was in a way smart. Most E3 companies have firewalls etc... to stop hackers but these guys did it the plain and simple way (Although obviously stupid), it probably shows that in future developers will have personal security guards rather then relying on E3's security [;)], afterall it was bound to happen sooner or later, they brought it upon themselves i think (Sort of...) [;)].

But yes, stupid.

Maybe they were even hired to do the job by another developer (Highly unlikely, but possible)?

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 16/05/04 - 8:33 AM Permalink

That sucks!!! [:(!][:(!][:(!]

Hopefully security cameras pickup the id of those guys.

Submitted by Acer on Sun, 16/05/04 - 8:47 AM Permalink

Yeh it goes to show the old tricks of the trade never die out! Hopefully this wont turn into another HalfLife 2. [:D]
By the way, when is HalfLife 2 coming out?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 16/05/04 - 8:54 AM Permalink

*shrug* whatever date is set, dont rely on it

considering you have to be of some media or developing/publishing qaulification to get into E3 i wonder if these guys broke in or there gonna get their orginization/company/whoosit in strife.

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 16/05/04 - 6:40 PM Permalink

I expect companies will now start hiring booth babes for E3 with elite ninja skillz!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by CombatWombat on Sun, 16/05/04 - 7:20 PM Permalink

Well I'm in two minds about this. Either it's:

(A) Really poor reporting to equate a demo CD with stealing the source code
(B) Really silly developers actually taking source code to E3

Tho' whether there was source code stolen or not, it still sucks that the two gits stole the disc.

Submitted by CombatWombat on Sun, 16/05/04 - 7:33 PM Permalink

I would have thought that the booth babes would already require the elite ninja skillz to dodge groping hands? :-/

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 16/05/04 - 8:46 PM Permalink

I honestly wonder if the E3 booth babes like gaming? I swear they dont [:p].

/me now waits for the expected reply such as 'Dont EVER say that again!' [;)]

Submitted by CombatWombat on Sun, 16/05/04 - 10:37 PM Permalink

Not only would few like gaming, I'd imagine only a few would enjoy the job they're doing.

One ruins other's suspension of disbelief by saying stuff like that, so keep it up tbag ;->

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 16/05/04 - 11:41 PM Permalink

I would always be glad to help out some of those booth babes [;)].

I wonder which booth babes are on display at the Playboy: The Mansion game (No thats not a joke, its true for those wondering, a playboy game is in development)?

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 17/05/04 - 1:44 AM Permalink

I find it humourous that some nerds jacked them for their source code. I know i'll probably never here the end of it and i'd be awfully pissed of if i was working on it to considiering that the MGS series have been some of my all time favourite games. But just imagine, instead of hackking in or whatever they did it the dark ages way

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 17/05/04 - 2:02 AM Permalink

Imagine if that was the only copy of the source code left [;)]. Then Konami would have to go to pirating capitals to try and find a copy of it.

Pirates, argh me mateys!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 17/05/04 - 11:02 AM Permalink

I wonder if they sneaked up inside cardboard boxes and knocked on the side of the booth display?

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 17/05/04 - 11:18 PM Permalink

A demo wouldn't include the source code.
They must have just grabbed the demo disc, no one would be dumb enough to take source to E3, and theres no reason for it anyway.

"Ok folks we'll just open Visual C++ and compile this so you can see our demo?!".

Me thinks not.

I think the visual arc of the guards needs to be increased. [:P]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 18/05/04 - 1:12 AM Permalink

its a bit funny because after that HL2 thing i bet Konami have been beefing up their "virtual" security, you know virus checkers and the like on all there computers and making sure they have a secure network and da da da and then some punks just break open the case and steal it the simple way :P

Submitted by souri on Tue, 18/05/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

"LA Convention Centre security staff were left flat-footed and red-faced yesterday as two unknown perps had it away with a copy of the MGS3: Snake Eater demo code. According to eyewitness reports they achieved this by leaning heavily on the unit before simply ejecting the disc."

One of the perps was heard shouting "Run Steve! RUN!" in what witnesses describe as a "German accent". (from [url="http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?comments=31884&page=1"]Shacknews[/url])

Here's what the LA police apparently have of the [url="http://shack.igneferroque.org/stolensnake.jpg"]5 finger discounter[/url], according to Shacknews.. (although judging by the lack of attention from the people around, the way the thief's hands don't really look like they are actually holding the box (rather just giving a thumbs up), and the box itself being a perfect orthographic view (dont see the sides - perculiar since he is sprinting), I'm assuming it's a photoshop joke)

Submitted by Rahnem on Tue, 18/05/04 - 3:34 AM Permalink

Not to mention the motion blur is all wrong.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 18/05/04 - 4:19 AM Permalink

yeah the pic looks very photoshoped

Submitted by souri on Tue, 18/05/04 - 4:46 AM Permalink

Oh, and there's a lotta grain on everyone's face, and none on the main guy..

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 18/05/04 - 9:13 AM Permalink

When informed of the theft Kojima was heard to say, "Snake? SNAKE? SNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!"

Or so I heard.

Posted by Cm2 on
Forum

I read this from ign :

"Two unidentified people attending E3 yesterday made off with the demo code for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. The one-level demo has been on display at Sony and Konami's booths.

According to reports, the two thieves, believed to be young men between 19-20 years old, cracked the case protecting the demo PS2 and leaned against the unit until they were able to eject the disc. They then made a mad dash for the doors.

The LAPD are currently investigating the situation, though details about the perpetrators are still unknown. We've heard no official comment from Konami, Sony, or the Los Angeles Convention Center so far, but we'll keep you updated with developments as they come in.

-- David Adams "

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 16/05/04 - 4:59 AM Permalink

omg that goes beyond hacking and stuff, thats just plain stupid theivery.

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 16/05/04 - 7:52 AM Permalink

Heh. I read that article earlier.

I think it goes to show that it was in a way smart. Most E3 companies have firewalls etc... to stop hackers but these guys did it the plain and simple way (Although obviously stupid), it probably shows that in future developers will have personal security guards rather then relying on E3's security [;)], afterall it was bound to happen sooner or later, they brought it upon themselves i think (Sort of...) [;)].

But yes, stupid.

Maybe they were even hired to do the job by another developer (Highly unlikely, but possible)?

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 16/05/04 - 8:33 AM Permalink

That sucks!!! [:(!][:(!][:(!]

Hopefully security cameras pickup the id of those guys.

Submitted by Acer on Sun, 16/05/04 - 8:47 AM Permalink

Yeh it goes to show the old tricks of the trade never die out! Hopefully this wont turn into another HalfLife 2. [:D]
By the way, when is HalfLife 2 coming out?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 16/05/04 - 8:54 AM Permalink

*shrug* whatever date is set, dont rely on it

considering you have to be of some media or developing/publishing qaulification to get into E3 i wonder if these guys broke in or there gonna get their orginization/company/whoosit in strife.

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 16/05/04 - 6:40 PM Permalink

I expect companies will now start hiring booth babes for E3 with elite ninja skillz!
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by CombatWombat on Sun, 16/05/04 - 7:20 PM Permalink

Well I'm in two minds about this. Either it's:

(A) Really poor reporting to equate a demo CD with stealing the source code
(B) Really silly developers actually taking source code to E3

Tho' whether there was source code stolen or not, it still sucks that the two gits stole the disc.

Submitted by CombatWombat on Sun, 16/05/04 - 7:33 PM Permalink

I would have thought that the booth babes would already require the elite ninja skillz to dodge groping hands? :-/

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 16/05/04 - 8:46 PM Permalink

I honestly wonder if the E3 booth babes like gaming? I swear they dont [:p].

/me now waits for the expected reply such as 'Dont EVER say that again!' [;)]

Submitted by CombatWombat on Sun, 16/05/04 - 10:37 PM Permalink

Not only would few like gaming, I'd imagine only a few would enjoy the job they're doing.

One ruins other's suspension of disbelief by saying stuff like that, so keep it up tbag ;->

Submitted by tbag on Sun, 16/05/04 - 11:41 PM Permalink

I would always be glad to help out some of those booth babes [;)].

I wonder which booth babes are on display at the Playboy: The Mansion game (No thats not a joke, its true for those wondering, a playboy game is in development)?

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 17/05/04 - 1:44 AM Permalink

I find it humourous that some nerds jacked them for their source code. I know i'll probably never here the end of it and i'd be awfully pissed of if i was working on it to considiering that the MGS series have been some of my all time favourite games. But just imagine, instead of hackking in or whatever they did it the dark ages way

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 17/05/04 - 2:02 AM Permalink

Imagine if that was the only copy of the source code left [;)]. Then Konami would have to go to pirating capitals to try and find a copy of it.

Pirates, argh me mateys!

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Mon, 17/05/04 - 11:02 AM Permalink

I wonder if they sneaked up inside cardboard boxes and knocked on the side of the booth display?

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 17/05/04 - 11:18 PM Permalink

A demo wouldn't include the source code.
They must have just grabbed the demo disc, no one would be dumb enough to take source to E3, and theres no reason for it anyway.

"Ok folks we'll just open Visual C++ and compile this so you can see our demo?!".

Me thinks not.

I think the visual arc of the guards needs to be increased. [:P]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 18/05/04 - 1:12 AM Permalink

its a bit funny because after that HL2 thing i bet Konami have been beefing up their "virtual" security, you know virus checkers and the like on all there computers and making sure they have a secure network and da da da and then some punks just break open the case and steal it the simple way :P

Submitted by souri on Tue, 18/05/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

"LA Convention Centre security staff were left flat-footed and red-faced yesterday as two unknown perps had it away with a copy of the MGS3: Snake Eater demo code. According to eyewitness reports they achieved this by leaning heavily on the unit before simply ejecting the disc."

One of the perps was heard shouting "Run Steve! RUN!" in what witnesses describe as a "German accent". (from [url="http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?comments=31884&page=1"]Shacknews[/url])

Here's what the LA police apparently have of the [url="http://shack.igneferroque.org/stolensnake.jpg"]5 finger discounter[/url], according to Shacknews.. (although judging by the lack of attention from the people around, the way the thief's hands don't really look like they are actually holding the box (rather just giving a thumbs up), and the box itself being a perfect orthographic view (dont see the sides - perculiar since he is sprinting), I'm assuming it's a photoshop joke)

Submitted by Rahnem on Tue, 18/05/04 - 3:34 AM Permalink

Not to mention the motion blur is all wrong.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 18/05/04 - 4:19 AM Permalink

yeah the pic looks very photoshoped

Submitted by souri on Tue, 18/05/04 - 4:46 AM Permalink

Oh, and there's a lotta grain on everyone's face, and none on the main guy..

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 18/05/04 - 9:13 AM Permalink

When informed of the theft Kojima was heard to say, "Snake? SNAKE? SNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!"

Or so I heard.