Skip to main content

Help needed! please

Submitted by matias on

ok, I managed to go and buy a new tablet, its a little Graphire 3, ok, ok I'm a brand-whore! But yeah now I dug up an old sketch the I'm colouring and am having trouble with the pose sortof.

It's the should of the arm behing his head, I marked it, I'm stumped, I played with it but you know how sometimes the more you play with it the worse it gets, can anyone give me some help with it? It's getting on my nerves. [:(!]

Heres the old pencil sketch I did about a year ago maybe more.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/deckerA.jpg[/img]

heres where I'm at, that shoulder is at an odd sort of angle and I really need to learn how to draw fabrics.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/deckerB.jpg[/img]

This is just my rough colour sketch.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/deckerC.jpg[/img]

Sorry if these take a while to load, but I would appreciate anything. I'm open to any changes in the pose, I want him still lounging an everyhting but yeah.
Cheers
Matias

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 16/02/04 - 12:21 AM Permalink

Is he floating, or actually in contact with another surface? Why not get a friend or yourself to lie down and then watch what is happening? Take photos if you need to. Cloth is something that is easier to draw from reference.

At the moment, it doesn't look too bad. I think that is just needs to hang a little looser under his arm (if he is floating free), or bunch up (if he is lying against another surface).

Submitted by matias on Mon, 16/02/04 - 1:05 AM Permalink

nah, he's on a small office chair, it's not showing much.
Ok, so bunch up a bit more, I'll have to give sitting down a shot, I don't know anyone here in Brissie yet so I have to do it myself. Thanks Aven!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 16/02/04 - 1:28 AM Permalink

The muscle under his arm that wraps around onto his back the ?Latissismus dorsi? should be protruding in a broad arc eliminating most of the visible indentation present. It is hard to describe so you will probably need a reference shot to get it right.

Pantmonger

Submitted by matias on Mon, 16/02/04 - 10:36 PM Permalink

The ?Latissismus dorsi? huh? I'll have to check out that loomis one thats cool, Thank you Sumea! :P

Submitted by Brain on Mon, 16/02/04 - 11:58 PM Permalink

Should come along to life drawing with the Queensland Animators. At least then you'll know someone who can pose for ya @:-) http://www.qa.org.au/

To stay slightly on topic, it's lookin' goodly. Gotta love Max on his shirt @:-D

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 17/02/04 - 12:09 AM Permalink

commonly called the lats. the large side back muscles that give you the v taper.
i do bodybuilding so i could pose for you but i dont want my picture on the forum :)

should be able to google up pently of reference pictures.
if you want insane lat reference look for pictures of ronnie coleman :)

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 17/02/04 - 12:15 AM Permalink

The whole upper arm is a bit long. I disagree with Pantmonger, the outside of the shoulder and back/'lat' area okay I reckon... the arm pit area is what look most out to me.

The ?Pec? (muscle across the chest) should create a straighter line from the chest to shoulder, and should go behind the bicep. The Bicep should be clearly defined in that pose too with the bulk of it sitting further toward the shoulder. There is little/no indication of an armpit- space bewteen the Pec and Lat? on the whole though the pose is great, full of character.

Submitted by matias on Tue, 17/02/04 - 8:57 PM Permalink

Thanks Brain, I'm checking it out as we speak, I have a high opinon of life drawing, through Uni I did it for a couple a weeks in 2nd year and it really improved my work dramatically, unfortunatly it didn't continue. Thanks Inglis, I'm also thinking google might be the way.
To JohnN, I think I have to redraw that whole area again, but sometimes you gotta do it like that, huh.
Cheers

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 18/02/04 - 12:57 AM Permalink

Sometimes! I find that as soon as I've finished something I am ready to revisit a good proportion of it. At least you have the good sense to do this before you finish.

If you are looking for reference for redrawing that spot you could try body building mags too. I suspect you might find poses showing off the armpit area (!) Otherwise spend 30+ min in front of the mirror sketching yourself (that is what I would do)...or put more pressure on Inglis to post a photo of his armpit/shoulder ;)

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 18/02/04 - 4:14 AM Permalink

Yeah come on Inglis! I bowed to peer presure and posted two full pics of my head (without a shirt no less), the least you could do is post one of your body, at least then you'll remain anonymous.;)

Submitted by matias on Mon, 22/03/04 - 2:52 AM Permalink

Ok, some digging, but I thought it would be better than starting a new topic. Through periods of inactivity and being busy still trying to find work the piece has had little time from me aside from and hour here and there. I'm still not 100% happy with his problem shoulder but if I didn't move on it would just take forever! So here is the guy, I'm pretty happy with it overall, the background is a bit quick and the vids a bit cartoony, but yeah I'll throw it out there anyways. C&C welcome!
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DeckerSmall.jpg[/img]
Thats a small pic so you could get an idea, if you want to see a jpeg the size I worked on it the here is a link...
[url]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DeckerLarge.jpg[/url]
Ok cheers
Matias

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 22/03/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

that looks sweet as man - way better than anything i could do thats for real.... he looks some mad hacker outta the matrix - cept ,, his clothes are orange and purple,.. SO UNLIKE the matrix..but anyways,.. what does the rest of the cup say ?? I LOVE HAG??????

I hope my face doesnt look like his after many a year staring at the screen [:D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 22/03/04 - 3:03 AM Permalink

man bob i beat you by 1 second getting my message in [:)] - sorry bout the spam post ... COOL art tho matias, there we go its not spam anymore [:D]

Submitted by matias on Mon, 22/03/04 - 3:08 AM Permalink

thanks guys, the cup says 'I love hacking', except I got 'I love H-A and half a C', I decided not to test my luck!

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 22/03/04 - 4:17 AM Permalink

Looks great over all. The shoulder area is fairly minor technical detail to the overall scheme. Certainly not worth getting neurotic over! Very good hand too, I bet you are proud of that one :D

Submitted by matias on Mon, 22/03/04 - 4:50 AM Permalink

haha, yeah, its always nice to get a hand right, they often can make something look realer.. um yeah you get what I'm saying!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 22/03/04 - 5:32 AM Permalink

awesome, very well done. Youve taken a lot of detail to clothes folds and such, good work :)

Submitted by Me109 on Thu, 25/03/04 - 7:10 AM Permalink

That is Max right? on the tshirt.. from sam and max - hit the road??

cool concept too dude!

Posted by matias on

ok, I managed to go and buy a new tablet, its a little Graphire 3, ok, ok I'm a brand-whore! But yeah now I dug up an old sketch the I'm colouring and am having trouble with the pose sortof.

It's the should of the arm behing his head, I marked it, I'm stumped, I played with it but you know how sometimes the more you play with it the worse it gets, can anyone give me some help with it? It's getting on my nerves. [:(!]

Heres the old pencil sketch I did about a year ago maybe more.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/deckerA.jpg[/img]

heres where I'm at, that shoulder is at an odd sort of angle and I really need to learn how to draw fabrics.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/deckerB.jpg[/img]

This is just my rough colour sketch.
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/deckerC.jpg[/img]

Sorry if these take a while to load, but I would appreciate anything. I'm open to any changes in the pose, I want him still lounging an everyhting but yeah.
Cheers
Matias

Submitted by Aven on Mon, 16/02/04 - 12:21 AM Permalink

Is he floating, or actually in contact with another surface? Why not get a friend or yourself to lie down and then watch what is happening? Take photos if you need to. Cloth is something that is easier to draw from reference.

At the moment, it doesn't look too bad. I think that is just needs to hang a little looser under his arm (if he is floating free), or bunch up (if he is lying against another surface).

Submitted by matias on Mon, 16/02/04 - 1:05 AM Permalink

nah, he's on a small office chair, it's not showing much.
Ok, so bunch up a bit more, I'll have to give sitting down a shot, I don't know anyone here in Brissie yet so I have to do it myself. Thanks Aven!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Mon, 16/02/04 - 1:28 AM Permalink

The muscle under his arm that wraps around onto his back the ?Latissismus dorsi? should be protruding in a broad arc eliminating most of the visible indentation present. It is hard to describe so you will probably need a reference shot to get it right.

Pantmonger

Submitted by matias on Mon, 16/02/04 - 10:36 PM Permalink

The ?Latissismus dorsi? huh? I'll have to check out that loomis one thats cool, Thank you Sumea! :P

Submitted by Brain on Mon, 16/02/04 - 11:58 PM Permalink

Should come along to life drawing with the Queensland Animators. At least then you'll know someone who can pose for ya @:-) http://www.qa.org.au/

To stay slightly on topic, it's lookin' goodly. Gotta love Max on his shirt @:-D

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 17/02/04 - 12:09 AM Permalink

commonly called the lats. the large side back muscles that give you the v taper.
i do bodybuilding so i could pose for you but i dont want my picture on the forum :)

should be able to google up pently of reference pictures.
if you want insane lat reference look for pictures of ronnie coleman :)

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 17/02/04 - 12:15 AM Permalink

The whole upper arm is a bit long. I disagree with Pantmonger, the outside of the shoulder and back/'lat' area okay I reckon... the arm pit area is what look most out to me.

The ?Pec? (muscle across the chest) should create a straighter line from the chest to shoulder, and should go behind the bicep. The Bicep should be clearly defined in that pose too with the bulk of it sitting further toward the shoulder. There is little/no indication of an armpit- space bewteen the Pec and Lat? on the whole though the pose is great, full of character.

Submitted by matias on Tue, 17/02/04 - 8:57 PM Permalink

Thanks Brain, I'm checking it out as we speak, I have a high opinon of life drawing, through Uni I did it for a couple a weeks in 2nd year and it really improved my work dramatically, unfortunatly it didn't continue. Thanks Inglis, I'm also thinking google might be the way.
To JohnN, I think I have to redraw that whole area again, but sometimes you gotta do it like that, huh.
Cheers

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 18/02/04 - 12:57 AM Permalink

Sometimes! I find that as soon as I've finished something I am ready to revisit a good proportion of it. At least you have the good sense to do this before you finish.

If you are looking for reference for redrawing that spot you could try body building mags too. I suspect you might find poses showing off the armpit area (!) Otherwise spend 30+ min in front of the mirror sketching yourself (that is what I would do)...or put more pressure on Inglis to post a photo of his armpit/shoulder ;)

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Wed, 18/02/04 - 4:14 AM Permalink

Yeah come on Inglis! I bowed to peer presure and posted two full pics of my head (without a shirt no less), the least you could do is post one of your body, at least then you'll remain anonymous.;)

Submitted by matias on Mon, 22/03/04 - 2:52 AM Permalink

Ok, some digging, but I thought it would be better than starting a new topic. Through periods of inactivity and being busy still trying to find work the piece has had little time from me aside from and hour here and there. I'm still not 100% happy with his problem shoulder but if I didn't move on it would just take forever! So here is the guy, I'm pretty happy with it overall, the background is a bit quick and the vids a bit cartoony, but yeah I'll throw it out there anyways. C&C welcome!
[img]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DeckerSmall.jpg[/img]
Thats a small pic so you could get an idea, if you want to see a jpeg the size I worked on it the here is a link...
[url]http://home.austarnet.com.au/esjakku/link%20art/DeckerLarge.jpg[/url]
Ok cheers
Matias

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 22/03/04 - 3:01 AM Permalink

that looks sweet as man - way better than anything i could do thats for real.... he looks some mad hacker outta the matrix - cept ,, his clothes are orange and purple,.. SO UNLIKE the matrix..but anyways,.. what does the rest of the cup say ?? I LOVE HAG??????

I hope my face doesnt look like his after many a year staring at the screen [:D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 22/03/04 - 3:03 AM Permalink

man bob i beat you by 1 second getting my message in [:)] - sorry bout the spam post ... COOL art tho matias, there we go its not spam anymore [:D]

Submitted by matias on Mon, 22/03/04 - 3:08 AM Permalink

thanks guys, the cup says 'I love hacking', except I got 'I love H-A and half a C', I decided not to test my luck!

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 22/03/04 - 4:17 AM Permalink

Looks great over all. The shoulder area is fairly minor technical detail to the overall scheme. Certainly not worth getting neurotic over! Very good hand too, I bet you are proud of that one :D

Submitted by matias on Mon, 22/03/04 - 4:50 AM Permalink

haha, yeah, its always nice to get a hand right, they often can make something look realer.. um yeah you get what I'm saying!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 22/03/04 - 5:32 AM Permalink

awesome, very well done. Youve taken a lot of detail to clothes folds and such, good work :)

Submitted by Me109 on Thu, 25/03/04 - 7:10 AM Permalink

That is Max right? on the tshirt.. from sam and max - hit the road??

cool concept too dude!