Skip to main content

#1 - 2D/Conceptual Design

Submitted by J I Styles on
Forum

Brief:
To improve on lighting, colour, and dealing with 3d in a 2d environment, your brief is to design a character using the base provided, and then take the lined/inked image to a finished 2d painted state.

Things to do:
1) Line/ink out your character design using the image base supplied - remember that this is only a basic pose/proportions guide. Feel free to alter it in any way, but just remember it's there to get a clear end product (eg, an unclear half of a face isn't very useful for people to give helpful advice on how to improve your 2D skills).

2) Produce a finished coloured ("rendered") 2D piece

3) Create a personal thread for yourself in this format:
"Activity #1 2D - Your Name"
Post both images in this thread (line art and finished coloured piece) along with any design notes or ideas on your character or aspects of your character design.

Activity resources:

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeaactivity/2d_1/concept-1.jpg[/img]

Feel free to discuss this topic in this thread.
Good luck!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 16/12/03 - 11:28 PM Permalink

sorry to be a bother but im just a little confused, are final product, does it have to be in that pose with those lines or not?
is that just like a reference peice for people stuck for ideas or who feel they are bad with drawing humanoid figure outlines?
could we discard it all-together?

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 17/12/03 - 1:16 AM Permalink

The idea is to use that as a base.. You can move the arms/legs etc I think. But the general idea is to fill in the blanks.

We'll have assignments with more freedom in the future.. But this is still a good one to do.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 17/12/03 - 3:53 AM Permalink

Like matt says, it's just a base - just a general idea of what would be a good clear pose. Front on, no large obstructions, no way to "hide" areas.

Forum

Brief:
To improve on lighting, colour, and dealing with 3d in a 2d environment, your brief is to design a character using the base provided, and then take the lined/inked image to a finished 2d painted state.

Things to do:
1) Line/ink out your character design using the image base supplied - remember that this is only a basic pose/proportions guide. Feel free to alter it in any way, but just remember it's there to get a clear end product (eg, an unclear half of a face isn't very useful for people to give helpful advice on how to improve your 2D skills).

2) Produce a finished coloured ("rendered") 2D piece

3) Create a personal thread for yourself in this format:
"Activity #1 2D - Your Name"
Post both images in this thread (line art and finished coloured piece) along with any design notes or ideas on your character or aspects of your character design.

Activity resources:

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeaactivity/2d_1/concept-1.jpg[/img]

Feel free to discuss this topic in this thread.
Good luck!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 16/12/03 - 11:28 PM Permalink

sorry to be a bother but im just a little confused, are final product, does it have to be in that pose with those lines or not?
is that just like a reference peice for people stuck for ideas or who feel they are bad with drawing humanoid figure outlines?
could we discard it all-together?

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Wed, 17/12/03 - 1:16 AM Permalink

The idea is to use that as a base.. You can move the arms/legs etc I think. But the general idea is to fill in the blanks.

We'll have assignments with more freedom in the future.. But this is still a good one to do.

Submitted by J I Styles on Wed, 17/12/03 - 3:53 AM Permalink

Like matt says, it's just a base - just a general idea of what would be a good clear pose. Front on, no large obstructions, no way to "hide" areas.