Skip to main content

Doom Movie Trailer

Submitted by Mick1460 on
Forum

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/doom/

Good or bad? To me, it looks to much like a favorite James Cameron film of mine!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 15/08/05 - 8:48 PM Permalink

Doom looks way to likely to be completely brainless and predictable IMO

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 16/08/05 - 12:20 AM Permalink

That looks like a very ordinary movie.

Why couldn?t they have just based in on the game? Space marines in cool armour fighting inter-dimensional hell beasts. At least then the movie might actually appeal to someone.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 16/08/05 - 3:01 AM Permalink

Nerds on a global scale will eat it up, then ridicule it.

And the film company will be laughing at the non refund policy.

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 16/08/05 - 9:09 AM Permalink

quote:And the film company will be laughing at the non refund policy.
...while the viewers simply laugh at 'The Rock'...

Seriously though, any movie starring a man named Dwayne who needs to go by the alias of 'The Rock' to feel special, and with the hype marketing phrase "...told in the hyper- kinetic, kamikaze style that made its gaming predecessor a global phenomenon..." has set out on a very dangerous path.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 16/08/05 - 10:18 AM Permalink

The mutation/gene idea has been done to death. It would've been more interesting if they stuck to the hell idea, I reckon. Something in the vibe of Event Horizon would be really cool. I really hope this movie offers a bit more in the cerebral department than a typcial brain dead action movie. The trailer doesn't offer any hope for that though.

Also, the sorta thing I usually look up first when coming across sci-fi movies are the set designs and other futuristic designs (vehicles etc), and this doesn't really do anything special or innovative in that department. Needs more cool stuff! There's nothing in that trailer which I thought was cool. [:(]

Submitted by Mick1460 on Tue, 16/08/05 - 6:49 PM Permalink

I agree to that Souri - Seems like a stock-standard sci-fi horror to me. Thats what I meant about one of my favorite James Cameron movies...Aliens. To me, it looks way to much like that!

And apparently, The Rock only plays a supporting role with the lead being Karl Urban (LOTR, The Chronicles of Riddick)

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 16/08/05 - 7:27 PM Permalink

yes Urban plays the lead role - named "John Grimm" ohh, good name, that makes the standard of this movie sound even better... (btw there are also other lame names like this in the movie, but i foget what they are).

i said this when i firest heared that the movie was not set on mars (which has now been 'corrected') nor featured demons from hell:
mutant virus? that's done to death! why go down that path? is it an attempt to increase the realism or believeability? demons from and hell not credible enough? that's irrelevant, if you do it right then i'll believe anything - and at least demons and hell would have been a far more original plotline (at least for a movie, particually of this sort). they've played it safe by going witha virus - it's done before therefore 'it works', it's more believeable (i guess), and wont offend christian groups. and finaly? what the hell was wrong with mars? i see no reason what so ever o change it to 'generic planet A' mars is a unique setting , being all red and barren and all, certainly more interesting than another cliche, black sci-fi instalation, sure it worked in aliens - but that's been done now, move on! at least they fix up this part, though as far as i can see it's still a generic sci-fi installation on the inside, and i doubt that anything mars like will feature except the name.

if you're going to make a doom movie you should at least make it doom!

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 16/08/05 - 8:46 PM Permalink

If they stuck to the actual Doom story, it could have at least been an enjoyable movie for the visual effects fest. It would be awesome to see some of the classic Doom monsters done really well in film CG! Bring on the flaming heads and the pink demons!! And it could lead to some massive battles LOTR style, with space marine armies trying to push back the forces of hell. Instead they went with this unoriginal piece of shit. Once again executive decisions take precedence over artistic direction. Playing it safe is a sure way to make a craptacular film.

It looks like its only redeeming feature is that is has Karl Urban in it.

Submitted by ScORCHo on Tue, 16/08/05 - 8:47 PM Permalink

I make a point of checking the director before i comment on a movie....but look at who it is: Andrzej Bartkowiak, the director of Romeo Must Die, Exit Wounds, and Cradle 2 the Grave....

As much as they both scream "Disturbing" to most people, I dont think Genetic Mutants would go well with a hip hop soundtrack! And where in gods name is rap/hip hop MEGAstar DMX! I guess this type of movie is below him now. It will be like a Paul Thomas Anderson movie without Philip Seymour Hoffman, or a Wes Anderson movie without Bill Murray, or a George Lucas movie without R2D2......it just wouldnt be the same.

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 17/08/05 - 10:57 PM Permalink

All I can say is OMG this movie looks like teh suxors.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 17/08/05 - 11:40 PM Permalink

if using that rehashed scream at the end of the first trailer wasnt enough (i cant help thinking "IRON MAN FOOD" is about to fall down in big blocky letters when i heard it) now the predator sounds? Theres stealing movie ideas and plots and re-doing the same basic outline of a genre, but from the trailers we can allready complain about un-originality with the sound effects? thats not a good sign.

That fps style camera angles is about the best thing theyve done for this movie as far as i can see

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 18/08/05 - 12:24 AM Permalink

Ill go see it without a doubt [:)]

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 18/08/05 - 12:36 AM Permalink

Oh yeah, we?ll all go see it. We?ll hate it, we?ll bitch about it, but we?ll still hand over our 10 bucks to go check it out. [:P]

Submitted by 3DArty on Thu, 18/08/05 - 1:33 AM Permalink

BUGGER THAT Ill wait for the DVD to come out.

Submitted by urgrund on Thu, 18/08/05 - 8:48 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by palantir
We?ll hate it, we?ll bitch about it, but we?ll still hand over our 10 bucks to go check it out. [:P]

bad publicity is still publicity [:P]

it looks just... a little.. like the 2nd Alien, Aliens.

Posted by Mick1460 on
Forum

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/doom/

Good or bad? To me, it looks to much like a favorite James Cameron film of mine!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 15/08/05 - 8:48 PM Permalink

Doom looks way to likely to be completely brainless and predictable IMO

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 16/08/05 - 12:20 AM Permalink

That looks like a very ordinary movie.

Why couldn?t they have just based in on the game? Space marines in cool armour fighting inter-dimensional hell beasts. At least then the movie might actually appeal to someone.

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 16/08/05 - 3:01 AM Permalink

Nerds on a global scale will eat it up, then ridicule it.

And the film company will be laughing at the non refund policy.

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 16/08/05 - 9:09 AM Permalink

quote:And the film company will be laughing at the non refund policy.
...while the viewers simply laugh at 'The Rock'...

Seriously though, any movie starring a man named Dwayne who needs to go by the alias of 'The Rock' to feel special, and with the hype marketing phrase "...told in the hyper- kinetic, kamikaze style that made its gaming predecessor a global phenomenon..." has set out on a very dangerous path.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 16/08/05 - 10:18 AM Permalink

The mutation/gene idea has been done to death. It would've been more interesting if they stuck to the hell idea, I reckon. Something in the vibe of Event Horizon would be really cool. I really hope this movie offers a bit more in the cerebral department than a typcial brain dead action movie. The trailer doesn't offer any hope for that though.

Also, the sorta thing I usually look up first when coming across sci-fi movies are the set designs and other futuristic designs (vehicles etc), and this doesn't really do anything special or innovative in that department. Needs more cool stuff! There's nothing in that trailer which I thought was cool. [:(]

Submitted by Mick1460 on Tue, 16/08/05 - 6:49 PM Permalink

I agree to that Souri - Seems like a stock-standard sci-fi horror to me. Thats what I meant about one of my favorite James Cameron movies...Aliens. To me, it looks way to much like that!

And apparently, The Rock only plays a supporting role with the lead being Karl Urban (LOTR, The Chronicles of Riddick)

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 16/08/05 - 7:27 PM Permalink

yes Urban plays the lead role - named "John Grimm" ohh, good name, that makes the standard of this movie sound even better... (btw there are also other lame names like this in the movie, but i foget what they are).

i said this when i firest heared that the movie was not set on mars (which has now been 'corrected') nor featured demons from hell:
mutant virus? that's done to death! why go down that path? is it an attempt to increase the realism or believeability? demons from and hell not credible enough? that's irrelevant, if you do it right then i'll believe anything - and at least demons and hell would have been a far more original plotline (at least for a movie, particually of this sort). they've played it safe by going witha virus - it's done before therefore 'it works', it's more believeable (i guess), and wont offend christian groups. and finaly? what the hell was wrong with mars? i see no reason what so ever o change it to 'generic planet A' mars is a unique setting , being all red and barren and all, certainly more interesting than another cliche, black sci-fi instalation, sure it worked in aliens - but that's been done now, move on! at least they fix up this part, though as far as i can see it's still a generic sci-fi installation on the inside, and i doubt that anything mars like will feature except the name.

if you're going to make a doom movie you should at least make it doom!

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 16/08/05 - 8:46 PM Permalink

If they stuck to the actual Doom story, it could have at least been an enjoyable movie for the visual effects fest. It would be awesome to see some of the classic Doom monsters done really well in film CG! Bring on the flaming heads and the pink demons!! And it could lead to some massive battles LOTR style, with space marine armies trying to push back the forces of hell. Instead they went with this unoriginal piece of shit. Once again executive decisions take precedence over artistic direction. Playing it safe is a sure way to make a craptacular film.

It looks like its only redeeming feature is that is has Karl Urban in it.

Submitted by ScORCHo on Tue, 16/08/05 - 8:47 PM Permalink

I make a point of checking the director before i comment on a movie....but look at who it is: Andrzej Bartkowiak, the director of Romeo Must Die, Exit Wounds, and Cradle 2 the Grave....

As much as they both scream "Disturbing" to most people, I dont think Genetic Mutants would go well with a hip hop soundtrack! And where in gods name is rap/hip hop MEGAstar DMX! I guess this type of movie is below him now. It will be like a Paul Thomas Anderson movie without Philip Seymour Hoffman, or a Wes Anderson movie without Bill Murray, or a George Lucas movie without R2D2......it just wouldnt be the same.

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 17/08/05 - 10:57 PM Permalink

All I can say is OMG this movie looks like teh suxors.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 17/08/05 - 11:40 PM Permalink

if using that rehashed scream at the end of the first trailer wasnt enough (i cant help thinking "IRON MAN FOOD" is about to fall down in big blocky letters when i heard it) now the predator sounds? Theres stealing movie ideas and plots and re-doing the same basic outline of a genre, but from the trailers we can allready complain about un-originality with the sound effects? thats not a good sign.

That fps style camera angles is about the best thing theyve done for this movie as far as i can see

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 18/08/05 - 12:24 AM Permalink

Ill go see it without a doubt [:)]

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 18/08/05 - 12:36 AM Permalink

Oh yeah, we?ll all go see it. We?ll hate it, we?ll bitch about it, but we?ll still hand over our 10 bucks to go check it out. [:P]

Submitted by 3DArty on Thu, 18/08/05 - 1:33 AM Permalink

BUGGER THAT Ill wait for the DVD to come out.

Submitted by urgrund on Thu, 18/08/05 - 8:48 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by palantir
We?ll hate it, we?ll bitch about it, but we?ll still hand over our 10 bucks to go check it out. [:P]

bad publicity is still publicity [:P]

it looks just... a little.. like the 2nd Alien, Aliens.