Skip to main content

Plaform help?

Submitted by sheldyn on
Forum

Hi,
Can anyone help please.I've been illustrating for many years and wish to learn 3dmax and Maya and i just cannot decide which operating system to use.
I know Max is only a pc app so my choice was simple.I have a G5 and am willing to sell in order to build a pc,i have no bias towards any platform even though i like using macs and have been for years.My problem is that now with the new Intel macs i have read that you can run 3dmax very well(not sure if it's true or not) and if so i could probably keep the mac and run Maya aswell.

Then again i'd love to build a pc with a lager lcd.I have thought of keeping the G5 and using it for CS2 and other apps also ,and building a pc just for 3d modelling,animation and rendering only.
Can anyone give me some advice, is it worth having the two or staying with one platform,
just thinking if macs are going intel why use a mac and not a PC.What does everyone use and will Macs be used more, now with the Intel chip will more 3d artists lean towards macs.Sorry for the worded question, it's been bugging me for weeks.

Sheldyn.

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 15/05/06 - 6:11 PM Permalink

I think you should be able to sum this up in a pretty easy way:
- if it's only for personal use, it really doesn't matter; use whatever you're comfortable with
- if you're learning these tools and you wish to work in the game/film/cg industries, use a pc platform.

Development is near 100% pc based; you'll find a very limited few roles have mac based parts to them and generally only in larger studios (roles like audio design), but that's usually still only in part. Mac is an absolute minority in development, the only other time you'll see them is if a product is being ported to the mac platform, and then it's only a one or two man programming job. In regards to this changing in the future with the new intel chipset, since it's an existing infrastructure, I don't see this changing any time soon.

Submitted by sheldyn on Tue, 16/05/06 - 5:22 AM Permalink

I wasn't aware just how much PCs where used in the industry,
thanks J.I.

It's time to build a PC.

Submitted by CombatWombat on Tue, 16/05/06 - 8:21 PM Permalink

Seems to me that Apple's move to Intel hardware and their subsequent release of the Boot Camp software (allows dual-booting to XP/OSX) is actually going to have quite a deterimental effect when it comes to game availability for OSX.

I've been writing commercial cross platform C++ for over 12 years now - and used to develop for MacOS 6/7/8 - and I've thrown out my plans for doing OSX versions of the games I'm working on due to the comparative ease with which gamers on Mac Intel hardware can run my games now. Seems like there's a problem with Apple's strategy when independent developers like myself see OSX support as being even less attractive than it was before.

Submitted by lorien on Tue, 16/05/06 - 11:33 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by CombatWombat

Seems to me that Apple's move to Intel hardware and their subsequent release of the Boot Camp software (allows dual-booting to XP/OSX) is actually going to have quite a deterimental effect when it comes to game availability for OSX.

It'll encourage the idea that windows is only good for games though [;)]

But point taken and I think it is another downer for OpenGL game dev- though at least the PS3 uses the embedded version of GL

Posted by sheldyn on
Forum

Hi,
Can anyone help please.I've been illustrating for many years and wish to learn 3dmax and Maya and i just cannot decide which operating system to use.
I know Max is only a pc app so my choice was simple.I have a G5 and am willing to sell in order to build a pc,i have no bias towards any platform even though i like using macs and have been for years.My problem is that now with the new Intel macs i have read that you can run 3dmax very well(not sure if it's true or not) and if so i could probably keep the mac and run Maya aswell.

Then again i'd love to build a pc with a lager lcd.I have thought of keeping the G5 and using it for CS2 and other apps also ,and building a pc just for 3d modelling,animation and rendering only.
Can anyone give me some advice, is it worth having the two or staying with one platform,
just thinking if macs are going intel why use a mac and not a PC.What does everyone use and will Macs be used more, now with the Intel chip will more 3d artists lean towards macs.Sorry for the worded question, it's been bugging me for weeks.

Sheldyn.

Submitted by J I Styles on Mon, 15/05/06 - 6:11 PM Permalink

I think you should be able to sum this up in a pretty easy way:
- if it's only for personal use, it really doesn't matter; use whatever you're comfortable with
- if you're learning these tools and you wish to work in the game/film/cg industries, use a pc platform.

Development is near 100% pc based; you'll find a very limited few roles have mac based parts to them and generally only in larger studios (roles like audio design), but that's usually still only in part. Mac is an absolute minority in development, the only other time you'll see them is if a product is being ported to the mac platform, and then it's only a one or two man programming job. In regards to this changing in the future with the new intel chipset, since it's an existing infrastructure, I don't see this changing any time soon.

Submitted by sheldyn on Tue, 16/05/06 - 5:22 AM Permalink

I wasn't aware just how much PCs where used in the industry,
thanks J.I.

It's time to build a PC.

Submitted by CombatWombat on Tue, 16/05/06 - 8:21 PM Permalink

I've been writing commercial cross platform C++ for over 12 years now - and used to develop for MacOS 6/7/8 - and I've thrown out my plans for doing OSX versions of the games I'm working on due to the comparative ease with which gamers on Mac Intel hardware can run my games now. Seems like there's a problem with Apple's strategy when independent developers like myself see OSX support as being even less attractive than it was before.

Submitted by lorien on Tue, 16/05/06 - 11:33 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by CombatWombat

It'll encourage the idea that windows is only good for games though [;)]

But point taken and I think it is another downer for OpenGL game dev- though at least the PS3 uses the embedded version of GL