Skip to main content

Mod Skeleton (for coders mainly)

Submitted by Kezza on
Forum

I whipped little mod skeleton to help save any coders the trouble of setting one up themselves (and it's good to have everyone starting from the same spot).
http://kez.dontknowdontcare.com/misc/temp/SumeaModSkel.zip

It's basically an minimalistic mod template with a crappy Sumea mod logo for both the splash screen and ingame mod selector.

I suggest that for the time being you create your own packages using your sumea name as a prefix (eg KezzaRadar), and merge them together into unified packages once things get a bit more organized on the programming front.

Also if someone is able to set up a SVN repository for the project, it would be damn spiffy.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 15/03/05 - 11:50 PM Permalink

Thanks Kez! That was my next job after I'd completed the map I just posted!

I'm looking at setting up either a CVS or SubVersion repository at some point (I guess it'd be best hosted here, but otherwise I can host on my own webspace or on my cable box at home)...

Souri, is there any chance of hosting CVS or SVN repositories on the sumea site? I'd be happy to manage them, but I'm no guru on internet-facing scc systems so it may open up some security risks.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/03/05 - 2:17 AM Permalink

I've never set up CVS or Subversion, but I'll give it a shot. Which package do you prefer? I'm guessing SVN?

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 16/03/05 - 2:47 AM Permalink

No preference at all. I know CVS pretty well, but I hear good things about SVN for assets etc...

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/03/05 - 4:41 AM Permalink

Ok, I had a look into it, Subversion or CVS is a no go. I'm on an NT server (SubVersion requires you to use Apache 2 and special modules), and I can't run server applets or run server applications on Sumea anyway since I'm on a shared hosting plan. I could do what I did with Paint Chat and run the service on my computer, but my computer is down most of the time so it wouldn't be very useful.

The only way is to find a free version control application that's perhaps entirely web based using a database with no server module required, or something else like this which uses ftp: http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=fvc_ftpvc#2 or http://www.ftpvcs.org

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 16/03/05 - 5:35 AM Permalink

thanks souri... either of those two sound good actually - guess we'd just need the ftp space and accounts (which might be an issue)

Submitted by Kezza on Wed, 16/03/05 - 7:03 AM Permalink

I'd prefer SVN greatly, especially since we're going to see lots of deleted and moved directories in this project (which CVS can't handle with very well)

for this i currently use a local linux box running apache2 which is quite stable, however i'm only running optus cable and i'm not keen on having that being used for hosting anything but source code.

I know some people with reliable hosting who might be able to help out in this regard if no one else has an easy solution.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/03/05 - 2:00 PM Permalink

Well, FTPVC requires payment, and FTPVCS seems to be having crashing problems for me. :/

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 16/03/05 - 9:02 PM Permalink

OK. The other options are:

1) CVS on SourceForge. Free but open to the world to view/download and use in their own nefarious ways [if indeed we can get anyone outside to care :)]
PRO: Free, Reliable, Tested
CON: Must be GPL, All files are open to the world, even at 0.1 stage (thins includes models, textures, maps etc.)

2) Source monkey. I set up a repository and get emails/uploads from people every day, and promise to integrate them and upload the tree at least once a week.
PRO: Fairly simple
CON: Long turnaround on getting things done. People have to wait for me to do stuff.

3) I pull out my linux CDs at home and set up an SVN server on my telstra cable box.
PRO: Running all the time and fairly secure I guess.
CON: No admin/backups, at the whim of Telstra's policies. (I could auto back-up nightly at 4am via FTP to somewhere else to solve #1.) Also, not set up yet.

I kind of suggest #1. We're looking to do this for professional exposure/experience anyway. I've got a fair amount of experience in CVS so I'm willing to step up to solve any of the renaming issues that arise (which really aren't any more complex than a remove/add at the end of the day.)

That being said, I'm willing to chip in "some" money if we can find a managed SVN hosting plan somewhere. Googling, I find that http://www.projxpert.com/UpgradeOptions.aspx has "free" SNV hosting for 5M space (!) and 2 active developers, and US$86/yr for 30M space and up to 7 devs. I would hope that others would chip in also though, which might be a barrier to getting people involved.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 17/03/05 - 3:10 AM Permalink

You should go with #3 - (or if that's not the best option for you, I might give it a try, with the proviso that maps will have to be stored somewhere else. Those darn things would take most of the space/bandwidth.)

Submitted by Kezza on Thu, 17/03/05 - 11:34 AM Permalink

If it's just for sourcecode and other small files, I already have a apache2-SVN server we could use.
It's on it's own machine which is pretty much a clean install of ubuntu with apache2 & SVN installed, so it's quite stable/secure.

As a matter of fact i've been using it for the Sumea mod already :)

Submitted by mcdrewski on Sun, 20/03/05 - 2:38 AM Permalink

as i've posted elsewhere - the SVN server is up and ready for people to use... :)

Posted by Kezza on
Forum

I whipped little mod skeleton to help save any coders the trouble of setting one up themselves (and it's good to have everyone starting from the same spot).
http://kez.dontknowdontcare.com/misc/temp/SumeaModSkel.zip

It's basically an minimalistic mod template with a crappy Sumea mod logo for both the splash screen and ingame mod selector.

I suggest that for the time being you create your own packages using your sumea name as a prefix (eg KezzaRadar), and merge them together into unified packages once things get a bit more organized on the programming front.

Also if someone is able to set up a SVN repository for the project, it would be damn spiffy.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 15/03/05 - 11:50 PM Permalink

Thanks Kez! That was my next job after I'd completed the map I just posted!

I'm looking at setting up either a CVS or SubVersion repository at some point (I guess it'd be best hosted here, but otherwise I can host on my own webspace or on my cable box at home)...

Souri, is there any chance of hosting CVS or SVN repositories on the sumea site? I'd be happy to manage them, but I'm no guru on internet-facing scc systems so it may open up some security risks.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/03/05 - 2:17 AM Permalink

I've never set up CVS or Subversion, but I'll give it a shot. Which package do you prefer? I'm guessing SVN?

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 16/03/05 - 2:47 AM Permalink

No preference at all. I know CVS pretty well, but I hear good things about SVN for assets etc...

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/03/05 - 4:41 AM Permalink

Ok, I had a look into it, Subversion or CVS is a no go. I'm on an NT server (SubVersion requires you to use Apache 2 and special modules), and I can't run server applets or run server applications on Sumea anyway since I'm on a shared hosting plan. I could do what I did with Paint Chat and run the service on my computer, but my computer is down most of the time so it wouldn't be very useful.

The only way is to find a free version control application that's perhaps entirely web based using a database with no server module required, or something else like this which uses ftp: http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=fvc_ftpvc#2 or http://www.ftpvcs.org

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 16/03/05 - 5:35 AM Permalink

thanks souri... either of those two sound good actually - guess we'd just need the ftp space and accounts (which might be an issue)

Submitted by Kezza on Wed, 16/03/05 - 7:03 AM Permalink

I'd prefer SVN greatly, especially since we're going to see lots of deleted and moved directories in this project (which CVS can't handle with very well)

for this i currently use a local linux box running apache2 which is quite stable, however i'm only running optus cable and i'm not keen on having that being used for hosting anything but source code.

I know some people with reliable hosting who might be able to help out in this regard if no one else has an easy solution.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/03/05 - 2:00 PM Permalink

Well, FTPVC requires payment, and FTPVCS seems to be having crashing problems for me. :/

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 16/03/05 - 9:02 PM Permalink

OK. The other options are:

1) CVS on SourceForge. Free but open to the world to view/download and use in their own nefarious ways [if indeed we can get anyone outside to care :)]
PRO: Free, Reliable, Tested
CON: Must be GPL, All files are open to the world, even at 0.1 stage (thins includes models, textures, maps etc.)

2) Source monkey. I set up a repository and get emails/uploads from people every day, and promise to integrate them and upload the tree at least once a week.
PRO: Fairly simple
CON: Long turnaround on getting things done. People have to wait for me to do stuff.

3) I pull out my linux CDs at home and set up an SVN server on my telstra cable box.
PRO: Running all the time and fairly secure I guess.
CON: No admin/backups, at the whim of Telstra's policies. (I could auto back-up nightly at 4am via FTP to somewhere else to solve #1.) Also, not set up yet.

I kind of suggest #1. We're looking to do this for professional exposure/experience anyway. I've got a fair amount of experience in CVS so I'm willing to step up to solve any of the renaming issues that arise (which really aren't any more complex than a remove/add at the end of the day.)

That being said, I'm willing to chip in "some" money if we can find a managed SVN hosting plan somewhere. Googling, I find that http://www.projxpert.com/UpgradeOptions.aspx has "free" SNV hosting for 5M space (!) and 2 active developers, and US$86/yr for 30M space and up to 7 devs. I would hope that others would chip in also though, which might be a barrier to getting people involved.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 17/03/05 - 3:10 AM Permalink

You should go with #3 - (or if that's not the best option for you, I might give it a try, with the proviso that maps will have to be stored somewhere else. Those darn things would take most of the space/bandwidth.)

Submitted by Kezza on Thu, 17/03/05 - 11:34 AM Permalink

If it's just for sourcecode and other small files, I already have a apache2-SVN server we could use.
It's on it's own machine which is pretty much a clean install of ubuntu with apache2 & SVN installed, so it's quite stable/secure.

As a matter of fact i've been using it for the Sumea mod already :)

Submitted by mcdrewski on Sun, 20/03/05 - 2:38 AM Permalink

as i've posted elsewhere - the SVN server is up and ready for people to use... :)