Skip to main content

Sparkling New ;)

Submitted by Ocea on

Hello. Hello. :)

I'm new to this forum and I thought I'd put my first post here since my impending career change is all about getting that brilliant job.

I think gender does have a certain impact on/in a job so yeah, I'm female. (Doesn't mean I'm going to cry foul or say things are hard: they're hard for everyone...but there are differences worth noting).

As it stands, having ummed and ahhed for the past four years, I'm now on the cusp of a new adventure and for the next few months I'll be undertaking core subjects so working out whether my path will be animation, gaming or multimedia isn't so much a focus yet although it weighs heavily on my mind at times. Problem is I'm interested in everything!

However, having watched some friends of mine tear their hair out trying to get junior graphic design jobs and getting nowhere, I'm keen to start working out and navigating career goals now, right at the start. I want to learn as much as I can about the industry, work out what's what, who's who and where I fit in.

Any advice for this old girl would be much appreciated.
(Doesn't have to be specific: whatever comes to mind).

I look forward to reading you.

Thanks.

Submitted by Mdobele on Mon, 15/01/07 - 6:36 PM Permalink

Welcome.

Firstly, games developers, well the intelligent ones, are actively seeking talented female employees in all fields to help diversify the creative pool a bit so if you have the talent, your gender if anything is a help to you..not a hindrance.

Secondly, all talent is derived from passion. When you look at the best people in their fields you will find that they are the best because they love what they do. They continue to strive to better themselves and their work constantly grows and improves daily. They do it not for the paycheck but for the love. People who aren?t passionate will produce mediocrity to get by and we certainly don?t need anymore mediocre games out there do we :p.

So I'd try and work out what really drives and excites you and then look at fields in the industry that compliment that.

Thirdly, what state / town do you live in. There are numerous industry chapters set up such as the IGDA and others where you could go and meet with developers and pick their brain. Get the answers you need to help find out where you want to start your path.

Submitted by Ocea on Tue, 16/01/07 - 12:16 PM Permalink

Well I've been on a good wage but passionless so I couldn't really give a stuff about the former (although being able to pay my rent would be good).

I've been interested in IT all my life but had garnered the impression that gaming was all code, code and more boring code. Things changed last year when I attended a convention and I was...well, enlightened.

One thing I did notice that I really glommed onto was creating for PDA (..and now iPhone! Have you seen that thing?) platforms. But I've been working on a script for a game with a view to eventually developing that so....my career path's pretty much an open book at the moment.

I presently reside in Brisbane and would be very keen to find out about the groups you mention.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Ocea2007-01-16 01:18:13

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Fri, 06/04/07 - 5:39 AM Permalink

The more girls in the industry, the more work gets done, because the geeks get too scared to look anywhere but their screens. Also the less bad jokes around the office, and toilet jokes in games too, so cool.

Mdobele is right, there is a bit of a push going at the moment for more women so you're coming at a good time. Once that ratio levels out I'm personally hoping the push will stop because then it borders on reverse sexism though that wont be for a while yet.

The passion that Mdobele mentioned as well is the primary key, and that's what you'll need. If you find out from someone that you're crap, then find out why, see if you agree, say no more and work on bettering it. The last thing you want is to get a job because you're a woman, there's no confidence to be found in that, you want to know you got it because you're damn good at what you do.

Posted by Ocea on

Hello. Hello. :)

I'm new to this forum and I thought I'd put my first post here since my impending career change is all about getting that brilliant job.

I think gender does have a certain impact on/in a job so yeah, I'm female. (Doesn't mean I'm going to cry foul or say things are hard: they're hard for everyone...but there are differences worth noting).

As it stands, having ummed and ahhed for the past four years, I'm now on the cusp of a new adventure and for the next few months I'll be undertaking core subjects so working out whether my path will be animation, gaming or multimedia isn't so much a focus yet although it weighs heavily on my mind at times. Problem is I'm interested in everything!

However, having watched some friends of mine tear their hair out trying to get junior graphic design jobs and getting nowhere, I'm keen to start working out and navigating career goals now, right at the start. I want to learn as much as I can about the industry, work out what's what, who's who and where I fit in.

Any advice for this old girl would be much appreciated.
(Doesn't have to be specific: whatever comes to mind).

I look forward to reading you.

Thanks.

Submitted by Mdobele on Mon, 15/01/07 - 6:36 PM Permalink

Welcome.

Firstly, games developers, well the intelligent ones, are actively seeking talented female employees in all fields to help diversify the creative pool a bit so if you have the talent, your gender if anything is a help to you..not a hindrance.

Secondly, all talent is derived from passion. When you look at the best people in their fields you will find that they are the best because they love what they do. They continue to strive to better themselves and their work constantly grows and improves daily. They do it not for the paycheck but for the love. People who aren?t passionate will produce mediocrity to get by and we certainly don?t need anymore mediocre games out there do we :p.

So I'd try and work out what really drives and excites you and then look at fields in the industry that compliment that.

Thirdly, what state / town do you live in. There are numerous industry chapters set up such as the IGDA and others where you could go and meet with developers and pick their brain. Get the answers you need to help find out where you want to start your path.

Submitted by Ocea on Tue, 16/01/07 - 12:16 PM Permalink

Well I've been on a good wage but passionless so I couldn't really give a stuff about the former (although being able to pay my rent would be good).

I've been interested in IT all my life but had garnered the impression that gaming was all code, code and more boring code. Things changed last year when I attended a convention and I was...well, enlightened.

One thing I did notice that I really glommed onto was creating for PDA (..and now iPhone! Have you seen that thing?) platforms. But I've been working on a script for a game with a view to eventually developing that so....my career path's pretty much an open book at the moment.

I presently reside in Brisbane and would be very keen to find out about the groups you mention.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Ocea2007-01-16 01:18:13

Submitted by Jackydablunt on Fri, 06/04/07 - 5:39 AM Permalink

The more girls in the industry, the more work gets done, because the geeks get too scared to look anywhere but their screens. Also the less bad jokes around the office, and toilet jokes in games too, so cool.

Mdobele is right, there is a bit of a push going at the moment for more women so you're coming at a good time. Once that ratio levels out I'm personally hoping the push will stop because then it borders on reverse sexism though that wont be for a while yet.

The passion that Mdobele mentioned as well is the primary key, and that's what you'll need. If you find out from someone that you're crap, then find out why, see if you agree, say no more and work on bettering it. The last thing you want is to get a job because you're a woman, there's no confidence to be found in that, you want to know you got it because you're damn good at what you do.