Skip to main content

wages for a freelance 2D animator

Submitted by dodgyville on

Hi,

I'm thinking of hiring a few animators, how much do you reckon a 2D animator should be paid? (I'm thinking per cell?)

Would love to hear what people think,
Luke

Submitted by Chaos on Fri, 14/10/05 - 5:04 AM Permalink

Can I suggest you put a little more information of what skills/experience you're looking for? Are you looking for grunts of leads? That type of experience etc, otherwise the current information isn?t enough to get a correct response.

Submitted by dodgyville on Fri, 14/10/05 - 6:11 AM Permalink

It's pretty basic stuff. 12 fps 2D character animation (mostly walk-cycles) for a cartoony computer game. Have to be able to draw to a style (disney-esque). Prefer deliverables to be a format like .svg or .ai, but can accept pretty much any format (raster or vector).

Anything else you'd like to know? I know what I want, but I'm new at this, so apologies if I'm not making any sense. :)

This is really a sort of "name your price" posting. I have money and I'm willing to hire.

Submitted by Chaos on Thu, 20/10/05 - 4:45 AM Permalink

I'm not an artist at all, but I can suggest contacting a lead artist at a games company and then speaking with him about what you should do (may pay them to advise you). Then post a job add and you can always negotiate with they person you feel would suit your needs about pay.

Maybe a question to ask is what pay is your skills worth.

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 20/10/05 - 8:47 AM Permalink

there's a very healthy outsourcing industry here in Australia (since most of our larger work comes internationally anyways), so I'd recommend just posting a job advert with as much technical and artistic information as possible, and invite bids - pretty standard process really... supply your brief and set it out for tender, then choose your candidate(s) based off gauging quality/professionalism/price/turn-around etc. Only thing I'd -really- suggest though if you're looking for contracters is it's a MUST to check their credentials and if possible any references... that whole trust thing, you trust them not to be crap and to actually get the work done on time and budget, and they trust you to pay them for their services in a timely and reasonable manner as agreed on [:)]

good luck! [:D]

Hi,

I'm thinking of hiring a few animators, how much do you reckon a 2D animator should be paid? (I'm thinking per cell?)

Would love to hear what people think,
Luke

Submitted by Chaos on Fri, 14/10/05 - 5:04 AM Permalink

Can I suggest you put a little more information of what skills/experience you're looking for? Are you looking for grunts of leads? That type of experience etc, otherwise the current information isn?t enough to get a correct response.

Submitted by dodgyville on Fri, 14/10/05 - 6:11 AM Permalink

It's pretty basic stuff. 12 fps 2D character animation (mostly walk-cycles) for a cartoony computer game. Have to be able to draw to a style (disney-esque). Prefer deliverables to be a format like .svg or .ai, but can accept pretty much any format (raster or vector).

Anything else you'd like to know? I know what I want, but I'm new at this, so apologies if I'm not making any sense. :)

This is really a sort of "name your price" posting. I have money and I'm willing to hire.

Submitted by Chaos on Thu, 20/10/05 - 4:45 AM Permalink

I'm not an artist at all, but I can suggest contacting a lead artist at a games company and then speaking with him about what you should do (may pay them to advise you). Then post a job add and you can always negotiate with they person you feel would suit your needs about pay.

Maybe a question to ask is what pay is your skills worth.

Submitted by J I Styles on Thu, 20/10/05 - 8:47 AM Permalink

there's a very healthy outsourcing industry here in Australia (since most of our larger work comes internationally anyways), so I'd recommend just posting a job advert with as much technical and artistic information as possible, and invite bids - pretty standard process really... supply your brief and set it out for tender, then choose your candidate(s) based off gauging quality/professionalism/price/turn-around etc. Only thing I'd -really- suggest though if you're looking for contracters is it's a MUST to check their credentials and if possible any references... that whole trust thing, you trust them not to be crap and to actually get the work done on time and budget, and they trust you to pay them for their services in a timely and reasonable manner as agreed on [:)]

good luck! [:D]