Skip to main content

Possible ideas for next competition

Submitted by Maitrek on

Okay - this is just because I know it takes ages for any decisions to get made, or any ideas to come up...so what do you people we could cover in the next competition?

Personally, I wouldn't mind steering a little bit away from graphics/physics - maybe something else. I was thinking something like sound - but alot of that is hardware nowadays anyway.

The only other thought I had was something like maybe experiments with parametric generation of things like trees or whatever nature crap.

Just some crappy thoughts - something people can bounce off of.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 20/05/03 - 3:25 AM Permalink

How about working with the trial version of Hemiware's engine as the renderer?

Submitted by lava monkey on Tue, 20/05/03 - 4:32 AM Permalink

well seeing that no ones got time to do this contest, maybe we should think of something really simple..
how about break out(arkanoid) or even better pong.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 20/05/03 - 5:17 AM Permalink

Pong? I wrote a version of pong, you may need to dumb it down, but that far?

Pantmonger

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 20/05/03 - 6:22 AM Permalink

lava_monkey - you got any better suggestions as to how to promote coding stuff on this site?

Submitted by redwyre on Wed, 21/05/03 - 7:08 PM Permalink

maybe a HLSL challenge or something

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 22/05/03 - 1:36 AM Permalink

If it still floats ppls boats to do graphics stuff...

Submitted by GooberMan on Thu, 22/05/03 - 3:35 AM Permalink

Yes because we all know your graphics programming skills define who the best coder is... :P Personally, I'd like to look in to scripting... a nice scripting system will be great for everyone IMO.

Submitted by lava monkey on Thu, 22/05/03 - 4:23 AM Permalink

well maybe i shouldn?t have said pong, that was just a joke.
but i could do a cool arkanoid, just cause its a simple game, dont mean you cant make it cool.
something like a simple arcade game is what i was getting at.
too bad no one made any water, except redwyre. cause i wanted to make a cool little pirate game, then we could
make it multiplayer later and have networked pirates, roaming to open seas, looting and plundering. yar..

i think the main thing we need to do, is find something abit simpler, something that everyone can do in maybe a week, and then set the deadline for 3 weeks.

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 22/05/03 - 10:05 AM Permalink

The competition isn't over yet.

Submitted by redwyre on Thu, 22/05/03 - 11:30 AM Permalink

I was going to sugest working in small teams (1-3 people), though it seems alot of people are busy with lots of previous commitments.

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 06/06/03 - 10:36 AM Permalink

The programmer challenge is nice... but what i want to see is a team challenge. However, the problem of programmer time is a major issue in this.

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 07/06/03 - 2:05 AM Permalink

Yeah I'm pretty much out of this competition. My swot-vac is the week leading up to handing the thing in, and I've got 6 exams in 7 days :) Plus I'm not one of the lucky people who have a billion lines of code of framework (all my old DOS code obviously doesn't count for garbage anymore :))
I might just do a demo effect involving water outside of the competition sometime, and post up some nice readable code :)

Submitted by tachyon on Sat, 07/06/03 - 2:28 AM Permalink

I hear ya Maitrek, the cut-off date is smack in the middle of my exam period as well. I reckon it would be a good idea to tweak the cut-off date for the next competition to be "uni student friendly", since there seems to be a number of us here. Cut-off dates like 1st August and 28th Feb would be good since they are the end of the winter and summer breaks.

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 07/06/03 - 9:24 AM Permalink

What about if we just extend this one by 2 weeks or so?

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 07/06/03 - 12:55 PM Permalink

I'm all for an extension, but it seems a bit tacky to change the date this late.

What kind of challenges can be done with teams btw? Just wondering. I can think of a few, but I'm not sure that working in teams allows different types of challenges to be done, maybe just "bigger" (content wise) challenges. It has some advantages in that respect, but it disadvantages some people.

Submitted by redwyre on Mon, 09/06/03 - 7:12 AM Permalink

I doubt anyone will mind an extension, if it means more entries then I'm all for it. (And Maitrek, you could always use my "billion lines of code of framework" ;) )

Submitted by GooberMan on Tue, 10/06/03 - 10:51 PM Permalink

Teams might be a bad idea - there's only two or three individuals to my knowledge that have done anything for this water demo beyond opening their compiler and writing a quick framework. Take the mod scene. Projects usually get canned because some vital team member or other hasn't got the time or whatever other reason.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 10/06/03 - 11:52 PM Permalink

Should we extend the current programmers challenge? You guys do know that the closing date is in 5 days.. [:)]

Submitted by lava monkey on Wed, 11/06/03 - 7:45 AM Permalink

ah 5 days is heaps of time..
think i better start soon but.

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 13/06/03 - 10:19 PM Permalink

Well all I can say is I'm out.
I've still got 5 database pracs to do, two programming techniques assignments and a computer architecture essay to write and I've only got a couple of days at most and an exam tomorrow :)
So I'm fairly 'busy'...

(I'm not complaining though, it's my own fault - anyone who has a semi-organised life should be able to easily enter this competition - and if you don't, then you suck just as much as I do ;)

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 15/06/03 - 4:30 AM Permalink

...I suck too :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by tachyon on Sun, 15/06/03 - 5:50 AM Permalink

me too, probably even more...and i've only got 2 exams this semester, funny how i manage to give myself the same sort of stress every semester, you would think i would learn after the first semester of cramming for exams. nope, its happened every semester (on my second last one now as well). why oh why... i don't like exams. i am tired and its only 7:55pm. anyway, back to studying with Mr. Fourier.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 17/06/03 - 11:02 PM Permalink

lol - it's good to know I'm not alone (^_^)

Posted by Maitrek on

Okay - this is just because I know it takes ages for any decisions to get made, or any ideas to come up...so what do you people we could cover in the next competition?

Personally, I wouldn't mind steering a little bit away from graphics/physics - maybe something else. I was thinking something like sound - but alot of that is hardware nowadays anyway.

The only other thought I had was something like maybe experiments with parametric generation of things like trees or whatever nature crap.

Just some crappy thoughts - something people can bounce off of.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 20/05/03 - 3:25 AM Permalink

How about working with the trial version of Hemiware's engine as the renderer?

Submitted by lava monkey on Tue, 20/05/03 - 4:32 AM Permalink

well seeing that no ones got time to do this contest, maybe we should think of something really simple..
how about break out(arkanoid) or even better pong.

Submitted by Pantmonger on Tue, 20/05/03 - 5:17 AM Permalink

Pong? I wrote a version of pong, you may need to dumb it down, but that far?

Pantmonger

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 20/05/03 - 6:22 AM Permalink

lava_monkey - you got any better suggestions as to how to promote coding stuff on this site?

Submitted by redwyre on Wed, 21/05/03 - 7:08 PM Permalink

maybe a HLSL challenge or something

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 22/05/03 - 1:36 AM Permalink

If it still floats ppls boats to do graphics stuff...

Submitted by GooberMan on Thu, 22/05/03 - 3:35 AM Permalink

Yes because we all know your graphics programming skills define who the best coder is... :P Personally, I'd like to look in to scripting... a nice scripting system will be great for everyone IMO.

Submitted by lava monkey on Thu, 22/05/03 - 4:23 AM Permalink

well maybe i shouldn?t have said pong, that was just a joke.
but i could do a cool arkanoid, just cause its a simple game, dont mean you cant make it cool.
something like a simple arcade game is what i was getting at.
too bad no one made any water, except redwyre. cause i wanted to make a cool little pirate game, then we could
make it multiplayer later and have networked pirates, roaming to open seas, looting and plundering. yar..

i think the main thing we need to do, is find something abit simpler, something that everyone can do in maybe a week, and then set the deadline for 3 weeks.

Submitted by Maitrek on Thu, 22/05/03 - 10:05 AM Permalink

The competition isn't over yet.

Submitted by redwyre on Thu, 22/05/03 - 11:30 AM Permalink

I was going to sugest working in small teams (1-3 people), though it seems alot of people are busy with lots of previous commitments.

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 06/06/03 - 10:36 AM Permalink

The programmer challenge is nice... but what i want to see is a team challenge. However, the problem of programmer time is a major issue in this.

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 07/06/03 - 2:05 AM Permalink

Yeah I'm pretty much out of this competition. My swot-vac is the week leading up to handing the thing in, and I've got 6 exams in 7 days :) Plus I'm not one of the lucky people who have a billion lines of code of framework (all my old DOS code obviously doesn't count for garbage anymore :))
I might just do a demo effect involving water outside of the competition sometime, and post up some nice readable code :)

Submitted by tachyon on Sat, 07/06/03 - 2:28 AM Permalink

I hear ya Maitrek, the cut-off date is smack in the middle of my exam period as well. I reckon it would be a good idea to tweak the cut-off date for the next competition to be "uni student friendly", since there seems to be a number of us here. Cut-off dates like 1st August and 28th Feb would be good since they are the end of the winter and summer breaks.

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 07/06/03 - 9:24 AM Permalink

What about if we just extend this one by 2 weeks or so?

Submitted by Maitrek on Sat, 07/06/03 - 12:55 PM Permalink

I'm all for an extension, but it seems a bit tacky to change the date this late.

What kind of challenges can be done with teams btw? Just wondering. I can think of a few, but I'm not sure that working in teams allows different types of challenges to be done, maybe just "bigger" (content wise) challenges. It has some advantages in that respect, but it disadvantages some people.

Submitted by redwyre on Mon, 09/06/03 - 7:12 AM Permalink

I doubt anyone will mind an extension, if it means more entries then I'm all for it. (And Maitrek, you could always use my "billion lines of code of framework" ;) )

Submitted by GooberMan on Tue, 10/06/03 - 10:51 PM Permalink

Teams might be a bad idea - there's only two or three individuals to my knowledge that have done anything for this water demo beyond opening their compiler and writing a quick framework. Take the mod scene. Projects usually get canned because some vital team member or other hasn't got the time or whatever other reason.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 10/06/03 - 11:52 PM Permalink

Should we extend the current programmers challenge? You guys do know that the closing date is in 5 days.. [:)]

Submitted by lava monkey on Wed, 11/06/03 - 7:45 AM Permalink

ah 5 days is heaps of time..
think i better start soon but.

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 13/06/03 - 10:19 PM Permalink

Well all I can say is I'm out.
I've still got 5 database pracs to do, two programming techniques assignments and a computer architecture essay to write and I've only got a couple of days at most and an exam tomorrow :)
So I'm fairly 'busy'...

(I'm not complaining though, it's my own fault - anyone who has a semi-organised life should be able to easily enter this competition - and if you don't, then you suck just as much as I do ;)

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 15/06/03 - 4:30 AM Permalink

...I suck too :P
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by tachyon on Sun, 15/06/03 - 5:50 AM Permalink

me too, probably even more...and i've only got 2 exams this semester, funny how i manage to give myself the same sort of stress every semester, you would think i would learn after the first semester of cramming for exams. nope, its happened every semester (on my second last one now as well). why oh why... i don't like exams. i am tired and its only 7:55pm. anyway, back to studying with Mr. Fourier.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 17/06/03 - 11:02 PM Permalink

lol - it's good to know I'm not alone (^_^)