Skip to main content

car rig

Submitted by gojira on
Forum

Hi I'm modelling a formaula 1 car for school and I want to rig it to animate it. I can only find tutoirals for animating tyers!! does anyone know where I can find any car tutorials?

thanks! [:D]

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 15/02/04 - 1:50 AM Permalink

Could you be a little more specific? What software are you using? How do you want to rig it? How detailed will it be (shocks and all suspension?).

Chances are, you will have to learn to make your own bone rigs with IK and/or slidding joints.

Submitted by gojira on Tue, 17/02/04 - 12:16 AM Permalink

hi sorry!

the car will be detailed ie yes there will be shocks/suspension etc.

I'm using Maya 5.0

I don't know how to rig it though that's why I was posting.

I could just use bones to drive the wheels. I thought if there was a right way to rig a car it would be good to know. At the moment I'm just making it up!

any advice from someone who's done this before would be appreciated!!

thanks[:D]

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 17/02/04 - 1:16 AM Permalink

What else really moves in a car except the wheels. I'm guessing that they are only going to see the outside so why do you need to really rig the wheels for animation.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 17/02/04 - 2:40 AM Permalink

Bullet21 - He stated in his first post that it would be a F1 car. You can see the details of it's suspension very clearly from the outside. That is why I was interested to know how detailed he wanted it before I posted a proper reply.

Gojira - A simple bone rig with some IK would work quite well for the car and suspension. For extras like the shocks, you will have to then use either simple deformers hooked up to expressions, or blendshapes (up to you).

As a start, read this tute.
http://www.gignews.com/kappmarch02.htm

You may also want to read up on some expressions and Set Driven Key at
http://www.learning-maya.com/tutorials.php

The tute has a good way of doing it, but to make your life easier, you may want to make a more detailed skeleton that starts at the top of the car, and then branches down to the axels and wheels.

Do you have the model finished yet? If so could you post a few pics, and I can draw some lines showing what I mean.

Submitted by gojira on Wed, 18/02/04 - 8:27 PM Permalink

Hey Aven,

thanks for those links they're great[:D]! the car tute is exactly what I was looking for!!!

I'm still working on the model, I'd be to embarrassed to post it now, but I'll post it when it's done!

thanks for your help that rocks dude!

Posted by gojira on
Forum

Hi I'm modelling a formaula 1 car for school and I want to rig it to animate it. I can only find tutoirals for animating tyers!! does anyone know where I can find any car tutorials?

thanks! [:D]

Submitted by Aven on Sun, 15/02/04 - 1:50 AM Permalink

Could you be a little more specific? What software are you using? How do you want to rig it? How detailed will it be (shocks and all suspension?).

Chances are, you will have to learn to make your own bone rigs with IK and/or slidding joints.

Submitted by gojira on Tue, 17/02/04 - 12:16 AM Permalink

hi sorry!

the car will be detailed ie yes there will be shocks/suspension etc.

I'm using Maya 5.0

I don't know how to rig it though that's why I was posting.

I could just use bones to drive the wheels. I thought if there was a right way to rig a car it would be good to know. At the moment I'm just making it up!

any advice from someone who's done this before would be appreciated!!

thanks[:D]

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 17/02/04 - 1:16 AM Permalink

What else really moves in a car except the wheels. I'm guessing that they are only going to see the outside so why do you need to really rig the wheels for animation.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 17/02/04 - 2:40 AM Permalink

Bullet21 - He stated in his first post that it would be a F1 car. You can see the details of it's suspension very clearly from the outside. That is why I was interested to know how detailed he wanted it before I posted a proper reply.

Gojira - A simple bone rig with some IK would work quite well for the car and suspension. For extras like the shocks, you will have to then use either simple deformers hooked up to expressions, or blendshapes (up to you).

As a start, read this tute.
http://www.gignews.com/kappmarch02.htm

You may also want to read up on some expressions and Set Driven Key at
http://www.learning-maya.com/tutorials.php

The tute has a good way of doing it, but to make your life easier, you may want to make a more detailed skeleton that starts at the top of the car, and then branches down to the axels and wheels.

Do you have the model finished yet? If so could you post a few pics, and I can draw some lines showing what I mean.

Submitted by gojira on Wed, 18/02/04 - 8:27 PM Permalink

Hey Aven,

thanks for those links they're great[:D]! the car tute is exactly what I was looking for!!!

I'm still working on the model, I'd be to embarrassed to post it now, but I'll post it when it's done!

thanks for your help that rocks dude!