Skip to main content

3D Program

Submitted by codyalday on
Forum

Not sure if this has been posted here before, sorry if it is though. But check this out, some serious stuff here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nice6NYb_WA .

Submitted by souri on Fri, 15/09/06 - 12:36 PM Permalink

Wow, that was incredible. If anyone can't be bothered waiting, skip to around the middle part of the video where the real interesting stuff is. They can reconstruct a pretty accurate 3D head model from just a single photo. They try it out on a black and white photo as well to show that program can calculate realistic skin tones for it. They also tried it on the Mona Lisa painting. Amazing. I wonder if they're working on a morphable body system next. [:0]

Submitted by vshen on Thu, 21/09/06 - 11:28 AM Permalink

Had a look at the one where they did it on Tom Hanks face, Amazing!

Will this be more accurate than acually scanning a live actor?

Submitted by richard on Fri, 22/09/06 - 5:39 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=vshen] Had a look at the one where they did it on Tom Hanks face, Amazing!
Will this be more accurate than acually scanning a live actor?[/QUOTE]

It did seem pretty amazing. I didn't pick up from the video whether they can use multiple source images to improve the model. The example they had of Hanks ended up with some odd shading on the left-hand side of his face probably due to the original photo lighting. And of course it'd be completely guessing about the back of his head.

Another thought that just occurred to me - most human faces are asymmetric in varying degrees. The more beautiful a face, the more likely it is to be symmetric. If the software only has a side shot to go on, it'd probably end up producing a symmetrical face which is going to be more attractive than the original person.
richard2006-09-21 19:39:43

Posted by codyalday on
Forum

Not sure if this has been posted here before, sorry if it is though. But check this out, some serious stuff here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nice6NYb_WA .

Submitted by souri on Fri, 15/09/06 - 12:36 PM Permalink

Wow, that was incredible. If anyone can't be bothered waiting, skip to around the middle part of the video where the real interesting stuff is. They can reconstruct a pretty accurate 3D head model from just a single photo. They try it out on a black and white photo as well to show that program can calculate realistic skin tones for it. They also tried it on the Mona Lisa painting. Amazing. I wonder if they're working on a morphable body system next. [:0]

Submitted by vshen on Thu, 21/09/06 - 11:28 AM Permalink

Had a look at the one where they did it on Tom Hanks face, Amazing!

Will this be more accurate than acually scanning a live actor?

Submitted by richard on Fri, 22/09/06 - 5:39 AM Permalink

[QUOTE=vshen] Had a look at the one where they did it on Tom Hanks face, Amazing!
Will this be more accurate than acually scanning a live actor?[/QUOTE]

It did seem pretty amazing. I didn't pick up from the video whether they can use multiple source images to improve the model. The example they had of Hanks ended up with some odd shading on the left-hand side of his face probably due to the original photo lighting. And of course it'd be completely guessing about the back of his head.

Another thought that just occurred to me - most human faces are asymmetric in varying degrees. The more beautiful a face, the more likely it is to be symmetric. If the software only has a side shot to go on, it'd probably end up producing a symmetrical face which is going to be more attractive than the original person.
richard2006-09-21 19:39:43