Skip to main content

Business Name

Submitted by gommo on
Forum

Hey,

I have a registered business for the last 6 years called Reboot Solutions. It was originally a computer fixing/selling small business I ran while at uni. I havent used it for ages now and I am cancelling the name and starting a new one to operate my software/game development under.

I have a few Ideas but just wondering if people have any great names or ideas of names for development houses. They can be registered names I'm just looking for some inspiration. I know all the game developer company names in Australia so is there any other less known ones around the world that I can get some ideas off.

What words would you stear clear of, for example the word 'solutions' in the name, seems to be overused these days.

Thanks

P.S. My first of I hope many posts to this great site

Submitted by tachyon on Mon, 12/05/03 - 3:58 AM Permalink

what about "Toasted Gonad Games" TGG...

Submitted by rezn0r on Mon, 12/05/03 - 8:37 AM Permalink

Specially Able Software? SAS!

Scott.

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 12/05/03 - 11:36 AM Permalink

A name that makes a cool acronym (i think thats the right one) is always cool, such as GoD (Gathering of Developers).
Oh, and if you're steering clear of an overused word, don't go with "Studios" :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by gommo on Mon, 12/05/03 - 9:36 PM Permalink

Very true, solutions and studios seem over used. I think I'll be looking for some sort of acronym. I was thinking of something like Digital Fusion but Digital is probably way over used too, something a little more abstract would be better. Oh well, back to brainstorming

Submitted by souri on Mon, 12/05/03 - 9:44 PM Permalink

"Compu-Global-Hyper-Mega-Net". [;)] For a software/game development company, I say keep it simple and short - maybe even just one (made up) word, and definately no buzzwords.

Submitted by GooberMan on Mon, 12/05/03 - 10:46 PM Permalink

Aim for the Japanese market... "Super Happy Fun Turbo Games!!!"

Submitted by Major Clod on Tue, 13/05/03 - 5:04 AM Permalink

Hehe reminds me of that Japanese gameshow on the simpsons... "Happy Smile Super Challenge Family Wish Show"!

Submitted by Bite Me on Tue, 13/05/03 - 8:25 AM Permalink

erm....

how about....

The MeToo Workshop

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 13/05/03 - 6:58 PM Permalink

I always liked Simon Says Software :) But I looked it up and its actually registered *sniff*
Another one that always makes me snicker is Under-Ware... Now thats a good name for an Aussie software house imo!

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 13/05/03 - 8:39 PM Permalink

I did not.

How about "The Cool Game Making People"? Has a nice ring to it...

Submitted by sho nuff on Tue, 13/05/03 - 9:10 PM Permalink

I think the best way to go is to use an odd word, or a foriegn word which people aren't too familiar with, then through your business reputation, define the word as your own.

Nike is a perfect example of this. Although the name was taken from a greek (?) godess, the first mention of Nike, you think Jordan, Shoes, Expensive clothes, and great athletes etc. And if a company was to use Nike as a part of there business name, people would still think of the sports company first.

For a gaming developer, my only suggestion would be 'LOKO'.

P.S even Sumea is a cool word. I have no idea what a sumea is, but if somebody did mention it to me, straight away i would identify it with this site.

Hope this helps[;)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 13/05/03 - 11:24 PM Permalink

I have a liking to small names, rather than a title strung together by buzzwords.. Nike is a good example of that.. other names I like include..
K*Grind - a big design company in Australia (I'm not sure if they're around anymore after the dot com bust).. the name came from some skateboard trick.
Kioken - a huge design company in USA. That name came from the founders who loved Street Fighter 2.. "Kioken" is what Chun Li says in one of her special moves..

Submitted by davidcoen on Tue, 20/05/03 - 10:27 AM Permalink

Hack Solutions (ignoring the fact you don't want to use the word solution)
Double D Word
Exceptional exceptions
Game On

Posted by gommo on
Forum

Hey,

I have a registered business for the last 6 years called Reboot Solutions. It was originally a computer fixing/selling small business I ran while at uni. I havent used it for ages now and I am cancelling the name and starting a new one to operate my software/game development under.

I have a few Ideas but just wondering if people have any great names or ideas of names for development houses. They can be registered names I'm just looking for some inspiration. I know all the game developer company names in Australia so is there any other less known ones around the world that I can get some ideas off.

What words would you stear clear of, for example the word 'solutions' in the name, seems to be overused these days.

Thanks

P.S. My first of I hope many posts to this great site

Submitted by tachyon on Mon, 12/05/03 - 3:58 AM Permalink

what about "Toasted Gonad Games" TGG...

Submitted by rezn0r on Mon, 12/05/03 - 8:37 AM Permalink

Specially Able Software? SAS!

Scott.

Submitted by Blitz on Mon, 12/05/03 - 11:36 AM Permalink

A name that makes a cool acronym (i think thats the right one) is always cool, such as GoD (Gathering of Developers).
Oh, and if you're steering clear of an overused word, don't go with "Studios" :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by gommo on Mon, 12/05/03 - 9:36 PM Permalink

Very true, solutions and studios seem over used. I think I'll be looking for some sort of acronym. I was thinking of something like Digital Fusion but Digital is probably way over used too, something a little more abstract would be better. Oh well, back to brainstorming

Submitted by souri on Mon, 12/05/03 - 9:44 PM Permalink

"Compu-Global-Hyper-Mega-Net". [;)] For a software/game development company, I say keep it simple and short - maybe even just one (made up) word, and definately no buzzwords.

Submitted by GooberMan on Mon, 12/05/03 - 10:46 PM Permalink

Aim for the Japanese market... "Super Happy Fun Turbo Games!!!"

Submitted by Major Clod on Tue, 13/05/03 - 5:04 AM Permalink

Hehe reminds me of that Japanese gameshow on the simpsons... "Happy Smile Super Challenge Family Wish Show"!

Submitted by Bite Me on Tue, 13/05/03 - 8:25 AM Permalink

erm....

how about....

The MeToo Workshop

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 13/05/03 - 6:58 PM Permalink

I always liked Simon Says Software :) But I looked it up and its actually registered *sniff*
Another one that always makes me snicker is Under-Ware... Now thats a good name for an Aussie software house imo!

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 13/05/03 - 8:39 PM Permalink

I did not.

How about "The Cool Game Making People"? Has a nice ring to it...

Submitted by sho nuff on Tue, 13/05/03 - 9:10 PM Permalink

I think the best way to go is to use an odd word, or a foriegn word which people aren't too familiar with, then through your business reputation, define the word as your own.

Nike is a perfect example of this. Although the name was taken from a greek (?) godess, the first mention of Nike, you think Jordan, Shoes, Expensive clothes, and great athletes etc. And if a company was to use Nike as a part of there business name, people would still think of the sports company first.

For a gaming developer, my only suggestion would be 'LOKO'.

P.S even Sumea is a cool word. I have no idea what a sumea is, but if somebody did mention it to me, straight away i would identify it with this site.

Hope this helps[;)]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 13/05/03 - 11:24 PM Permalink

I have a liking to small names, rather than a title strung together by buzzwords.. Nike is a good example of that.. other names I like include..
K*Grind - a big design company in Australia (I'm not sure if they're around anymore after the dot com bust).. the name came from some skateboard trick.
Kioken - a huge design company in USA. That name came from the founders who loved Street Fighter 2.. "Kioken" is what Chun Li says in one of her special moves..

Submitted by davidcoen on Tue, 20/05/03 - 10:27 AM Permalink

Hack Solutions (ignoring the fact you don't want to use the word solution)
Double D Word
Exceptional exceptions
Game On