Skip to main content

professional sports what a joke...shane warne,

Submitted by beatsta on
Forum

what i really really hate is how sports people in australia and everywhere are put up on such high pedestals and get payed soo many dollars all just for training themselves and thus performing as to the amount of time they have spent on training.
Shane warne the idiot cant even explain to the media how he stuffed up without reading his press release word for word in front of the media. if you love sports, no worries... im not knockin what you might like....but sheesh why do the rest of us who dont give a hoot have to have it shoved in our faces over and over and over again???........you have to wonder [?]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 12/02/03 - 7:30 PM Permalink

I just loved the fact that in the middle of all the other crap thats going on Warne was leading story materal, and in other news priorities have become skewed.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 12/02/03 - 11:42 PM Permalink

THat's what's crappy about AUstralia, like some flood or other huge disaster happens elsewhere in the world, like indonesia, and we focus on some sport guy's crooked leg?

WTF is with that?

Submitted by GooberMan on Thu, 13/02/03 - 1:07 AM Permalink

This kind of reminds me of the Russian submarine incident in 2000. The Daily Telegraph (Sydney)'s cartoonist, Warren, made a cartoon set on the inside of the sub, the captain at the periscope, and someone at communications saying "Great news! The Olympic torch just passed through Goulburn!" Brilliant piece of work, but just about everyone got offended at him stating the truth - stuff like that generally does tend to get more of the Australian public's attention.

Ethan Watson, teh brand spankin' new Krome employee.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 18/02/03 - 12:20 PM Permalink

The simple fact of the matter, is that the world is ruled by the majority, because being a majority, they actually form the largest market share :P

The marketeable news is different from what actually is the real news, and what goes on in the world. People don't want to read about subs blowing up, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, natural disasters, terrorism and bad stuff. They want to read EGO validation -> they want to see some kind of revered, "celebrated" person that they elevate above themselves, screw up and see that "hey look at that guy, I wouldn't do something as stupid as him, and he's f***ing a kick-ass sports dewd". And hence, people feel better about themselves in that they should be getting paid as much as some celebrity, and should be just as celebrated.

That's why everyone allegedly hates these celebrities, but yet, can't stop discussing them.

On top of that, give the sports people a break when it comes to their pay. I'm not saying that their job is more difficult than our job, but let's face it, it is far MORE APPRECIATED, and more valued, and that's the real trick. Sports fans pay to see their sports heroes play, and hence, sports heroes bring value to the game, and hence they get paid for circulating money in the direction of the sport.

Believe it or not, it's the same principal with video/computer games and games developers. So if we were over-paid (which some of us are) then people would be bitching about us in exactly the same way, which to me, is just a ridiculous recirculation of an old envious argument.

And just to keep ranting cause I've been off these boards for a while, but there actually is news services out there for you if you want to actually hear about what is going on in the real world without the over-saturation of ego, you can easily choose to not watch the news and do something useful too :)

Instead of bitching about sports stars getting all the attention, bitch about Osama, or Saddam or G.W. Bush and them being a bunch of tossers if your heart really is in the right place.

Snootchie bootchies!
Any off-topic issues send to maitrek@austarmetro.com.au

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 19/02/03 - 1:53 AM Permalink

I'd bitch about Bush more, but then I'm afraid that if I try to apply for a job in the states that some guy will find my bitching post and decline me based on that.

Although Letterman brought up an interesting comparison between Bush and (insert North Korean Leaders Name Here), as they both had average grades, and got to power because their fathers used to be there.

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 19/02/03 - 12:18 PM Permalink

Well true, bitching doesn't get you very far in general, which is why these message boards can get cluttered, did anyone watch Rove last week, Robin Williams had the balls to say that "we've hired the handicapped" in reference to G.W.B.

Anyway, enuff bitching, I'm going to go chase some ass.... (well, maybe I'll just sit around).

Snootchie bootchies!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 19/02/03 - 8:05 PM Permalink

Maitrek

I have to disagree with your view of the situation. People do not love celebrity just because they want to see them fail thus making themselves feel better. People idolise celebrities and some see them as the pinnacle of what they themselves may become, empowerment fantasy abounds that?s why the fall of a famous (rather then notorious) celeb gets so much news, because people cannot believe that the archetype of their hopes was human.

As to the give sports stars a break about their pay. No I will never condone the ludicrous pay packets of the cult of personality, there are people out their making a difference, a real difference, developing new tech, curing illnesses, yet getting paid sqat and having trouble getting funding for there potently life saving research. Yet lets instead of supporting these people lets pay someone to hurls a ball around a field.

And finally, I was not just bitching about a sports star getting all the attention, I am aware that the popular media reports what sells and there for the subject matter was what most Australians wanted to here. I was using that as an example of the sad state of affairs in Australia (not just the media) that most would rather hear about the sport then critical world events.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 20/02/03 - 2:20 AM Permalink

Pantmonger: Here here, totally hit the nail on the head!!

Maitrek: "Quote:... I'm not saying that their job is more difficult than our job, but let's face it, it is far MORE APPRECIATED, and more valued, and that's the real trick..." And here in lies the problem with our country.
"Me like sport, me no like science and arts, UG UG."

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 21/02/03 - 9:30 AM Permalink

Whoa whoa whoa. Talk about being spoon fed words into my mouth. I never said people loved celebrities because they want them to fail, I said people liked reading about celebrities failing because of the fact that it's validating for them on a basic psychological level. People "celebrate" celebrities (hence their name) because they do look up to them, and admire their achievements (as shallow as some of them may be) and they want to emulate that kind of success in their lives.

quote:As to the give sports stars a break about their pay. No I will never condone the ludicrous pay packets of the cult of personality, there are people out their making a difference, a real difference, developing new tech, curing illnesses, yet getting paid sqat and having trouble getting funding for there potently life saving research. Yet lets instead of supporting these people lets pay someone to hurls a ball around a field.

But let's face up to it, are we making the world a better place as game developers? **** no, we are also part of the entertainment media, and NONE of us really care that we aren't donating all our lives to scientific/culturally significant tasks and making the world great. Okay, sure you could argue that games can be used to educate people about prejudice and racism and tolerance, but look at what the games market actually is??? Come on people, take yourselves off of your high horses.

Hell I don't care about making the world better, I've just always wanted to be involved in making games.

We aren't making big changes to the world, neither are sports stars, and we *both* get paid more than the charitable/scientific souls who do the hard work of cleaning up the mess of us ignorant.

On a more on topic note, sure I agree that the media should celebrate the real champions of the modern era, but unfortunately that just is, and NEVER will be, the case, because frankly the world is a little too bleak for people to face up to in it's entirity and acknowledge that sports really is just a game to waste time, the same way computer games are. So by saying that you won't condone the pay packets of the sports stars is only one or two steps away from saying your own pay packet is unjustified.

I made this point in my previous post, but it obviously fell on completely deaf ears. Sports stars getting paid = same principal as us game developers getting paid.

quote:And finally, I was not just bitching about a sports star getting all the attention, I am aware that the popular media reports what sells and there for the subject matter was what most Australians wanted to here. I was using that as an example of the sad state of affairs in Australia (not just the media) that most would rather hear about the sport then critical world events.

My whole post wasn't necessarily about your post, I was referring to the original topic, which if you can't be bothered looking upwards is

quote:what i really really hate is how sports people in australia and everywhere are put up on such high pedestals and get payed soo many dollars all just for training themselves and thus performing as to the amount of time they have spent on training.
Shane warne the idiot cant even explain to the media how he stuffed up without reading his press release word for word in front of the media. if you love sports, no worries... im not knockin what you might like....but sheesh why do the rest of us who dont give a hoot have to have it shoved in our faces over and over and over again???........you have to wonder

The last bit basically refers to the whole "sports stars pimping the media" argument going on here.

So to sum it up, I *do* agree with you about inappropriate media attention on some issues, the sad fact of the matter is in this world, not much attention is paid to the people who want to make the world, that we actually live in, a better place

Snootchie bootchies!

Posted by beatsta on
Forum

what i really really hate is how sports people in australia and everywhere are put up on such high pedestals and get payed soo many dollars all just for training themselves and thus performing as to the amount of time they have spent on training.
Shane warne the idiot cant even explain to the media how he stuffed up without reading his press release word for word in front of the media. if you love sports, no worries... im not knockin what you might like....but sheesh why do the rest of us who dont give a hoot have to have it shoved in our faces over and over and over again???........you have to wonder [?]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 12/02/03 - 7:30 PM Permalink

I just loved the fact that in the middle of all the other crap thats going on Warne was leading story materal, and in other news priorities have become skewed.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 12/02/03 - 11:42 PM Permalink

THat's what's crappy about AUstralia, like some flood or other huge disaster happens elsewhere in the world, like indonesia, and we focus on some sport guy's crooked leg?

WTF is with that?

Submitted by GooberMan on Thu, 13/02/03 - 1:07 AM Permalink

This kind of reminds me of the Russian submarine incident in 2000. The Daily Telegraph (Sydney)'s cartoonist, Warren, made a cartoon set on the inside of the sub, the captain at the periscope, and someone at communications saying "Great news! The Olympic torch just passed through Goulburn!" Brilliant piece of work, but just about everyone got offended at him stating the truth - stuff like that generally does tend to get more of the Australian public's attention.

Ethan Watson, teh brand spankin' new Krome employee.

Submitted by Maitrek on Tue, 18/02/03 - 12:20 PM Permalink

The simple fact of the matter, is that the world is ruled by the majority, because being a majority, they actually form the largest market share :P

The marketeable news is different from what actually is the real news, and what goes on in the world. People don't want to read about subs blowing up, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, natural disasters, terrorism and bad stuff. They want to read EGO validation -> they want to see some kind of revered, "celebrated" person that they elevate above themselves, screw up and see that "hey look at that guy, I wouldn't do something as stupid as him, and he's f***ing a kick-ass sports dewd". And hence, people feel better about themselves in that they should be getting paid as much as some celebrity, and should be just as celebrated.

That's why everyone allegedly hates these celebrities, but yet, can't stop discussing them.

On top of that, give the sports people a break when it comes to their pay. I'm not saying that their job is more difficult than our job, but let's face it, it is far MORE APPRECIATED, and more valued, and that's the real trick. Sports fans pay to see their sports heroes play, and hence, sports heroes bring value to the game, and hence they get paid for circulating money in the direction of the sport.

Believe it or not, it's the same principal with video/computer games and games developers. So if we were over-paid (which some of us are) then people would be bitching about us in exactly the same way, which to me, is just a ridiculous recirculation of an old envious argument.

And just to keep ranting cause I've been off these boards for a while, but there actually is news services out there for you if you want to actually hear about what is going on in the real world without the over-saturation of ego, you can easily choose to not watch the news and do something useful too :)

Instead of bitching about sports stars getting all the attention, bitch about Osama, or Saddam or G.W. Bush and them being a bunch of tossers if your heart really is in the right place.

Snootchie bootchies!

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 19/02/03 - 1:53 AM Permalink

I'd bitch about Bush more, but then I'm afraid that if I try to apply for a job in the states that some guy will find my bitching post and decline me based on that.

Although Letterman brought up an interesting comparison between Bush and (insert North Korean Leaders Name Here), as they both had average grades, and got to power because their fathers used to be there.

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 19/02/03 - 12:18 PM Permalink

Well true, bitching doesn't get you very far in general, which is why these message boards can get cluttered, did anyone watch Rove last week, Robin Williams had the balls to say that "we've hired the handicapped" in reference to G.W.B.

Anyway, enuff bitching, I'm going to go chase some ass.... (well, maybe I'll just sit around).

Snootchie bootchies!

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 19/02/03 - 8:05 PM Permalink

Maitrek

I have to disagree with your view of the situation. People do not love celebrity just because they want to see them fail thus making themselves feel better. People idolise celebrities and some see them as the pinnacle of what they themselves may become, empowerment fantasy abounds that?s why the fall of a famous (rather then notorious) celeb gets so much news, because people cannot believe that the archetype of their hopes was human.

As to the give sports stars a break about their pay. No I will never condone the ludicrous pay packets of the cult of personality, there are people out their making a difference, a real difference, developing new tech, curing illnesses, yet getting paid sqat and having trouble getting funding for there potently life saving research. Yet lets instead of supporting these people lets pay someone to hurls a ball around a field.

And finally, I was not just bitching about a sports star getting all the attention, I am aware that the popular media reports what sells and there for the subject matter was what most Australians wanted to here. I was using that as an example of the sad state of affairs in Australia (not just the media) that most would rather hear about the sport then critical world events.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 20/02/03 - 2:20 AM Permalink

Pantmonger: Here here, totally hit the nail on the head!!

Maitrek: "Quote:... I'm not saying that their job is more difficult than our job, but let's face it, it is far MORE APPRECIATED, and more valued, and that's the real trick..." And here in lies the problem with our country.
"Me like sport, me no like science and arts, UG UG."

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 21/02/03 - 9:30 AM Permalink

Whoa whoa whoa. Talk about being spoon fed words into my mouth. I never said people loved celebrities because they want them to fail, I said people liked reading about celebrities failing because of the fact that it's validating for them on a basic psychological level. People "celebrate" celebrities (hence their name) because they do look up to them, and admire their achievements (as shallow as some of them may be) and they want to emulate that kind of success in their lives.

quote:As to the give sports stars a break about their pay. No I will never condone the ludicrous pay packets of the cult of personality, there are people out their making a difference, a real difference, developing new tech, curing illnesses, yet getting paid sqat and having trouble getting funding for there potently life saving research. Yet lets instead of supporting these people lets pay someone to hurls a ball around a field.

But let's face up to it, are we making the world a better place as game developers? **** no, we are also part of the entertainment media, and NONE of us really care that we aren't donating all our lives to scientific/culturally significant tasks and making the world great. Okay, sure you could argue that games can be used to educate people about prejudice and racism and tolerance, but look at what the games market actually is??? Come on people, take yourselves off of your high horses.

Hell I don't care about making the world better, I've just always wanted to be involved in making games.

We aren't making big changes to the world, neither are sports stars, and we *both* get paid more than the charitable/scientific souls who do the hard work of cleaning up the mess of us ignorant.

On a more on topic note, sure I agree that the media should celebrate the real champions of the modern era, but unfortunately that just is, and NEVER will be, the case, because frankly the world is a little too bleak for people to face up to in it's entirity and acknowledge that sports really is just a game to waste time, the same way computer games are. So by saying that you won't condone the pay packets of the sports stars is only one or two steps away from saying your own pay packet is unjustified.

I made this point in my previous post, but it obviously fell on completely deaf ears. Sports stars getting paid = same principal as us game developers getting paid.

quote:And finally, I was not just bitching about a sports star getting all the attention, I am aware that the popular media reports what sells and there for the subject matter was what most Australians wanted to here. I was using that as an example of the sad state of affairs in Australia (not just the media) that most would rather hear about the sport then critical world events.

My whole post wasn't necessarily about your post, I was referring to the original topic, which if you can't be bothered looking upwards is

quote:what i really really hate is how sports people in australia and everywhere are put up on such high pedestals and get payed soo many dollars all just for training themselves and thus performing as to the amount of time they have spent on training.
Shane warne the idiot cant even explain to the media how he stuffed up without reading his press release word for word in front of the media. if you love sports, no worries... im not knockin what you might like....but sheesh why do the rest of us who dont give a hoot have to have it shoved in our faces over and over and over again???........you have to wonder

The last bit basically refers to the whole "sports stars pimping the media" argument going on here.

So to sum it up, I *do* agree with you about inappropriate media attention on some issues, the sad fact of the matter is in this world, not much attention is paid to the people who want to make the world, that we actually live in, a better place

Snootchie bootchies!