Skip to main content

Space Racer - concept art

• Testing a Microsoft Surface for digital art along with Krita. The latter is proving to be a very capable drawing/painting program. In some aspects equal to - if not better than - Photoshop! MS Surface is good but not as good as a wacom tablet.…

• I quick illustration depicting a true story (or so I am told) of a tank crew rescuing an australia soldier in the Vietnam war. Rough sketchy styling but required some research and accuracy as vetaran's seeing it would be critical. Painted in…

• A recent game interface job I completed for an Adelaide based iphone/mobile developer. Final graphics included animation on the handkerchief as the rope moves and animated icons on the menu screen. Graphics are all based on photos then heavily…

• It's not really directly game related but I thought I'd post it anyway (Let's pretend it's a character study). This is where my recent illustration energies had been going rather than into concept art related topics. Created for a charity Auction…

• Revisiting the first fleet of ships for Tsumea Team C project. One new design with the other 3 polished/modified small to moderate amounts. Whilst the details are still loose I'm satisfied with the overall designs. fingers crossed the rest of the…

• More thumbnails for Team C game. These are my first round of ships for the opposing team. More angular and blocky in form with a relatively raw/industrial finish compaired to the other set.

• More thumbnails. These ones are variations working a single design idea.

• update of potential artillery/ planet attack ship.

• A small update on concept art for Team C project.

• Some initial sketches whilst I warm up for the task of producing some concepts for tsumea's team C project.

Submitted by Johnn on

Arrgh! this user-friendlyness is freaking me out!
...okay, freakout over :)
my latest marker and pen concept sketch. I've had a bit of a break from drawing but hope to get back into a regular habit with it again. I've included a bit of WIP action for anyone intersted in how it progressed. the thumbnail on the left is about 5 cm long and the other fit neatly onto an A4 page. 20 &50% markers used with some cleaning up and colouring in P'shop.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/2004910234315_Space-RacerL…]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 12/09/04 - 1:03 AM Permalink

Nice, though I must admit one of the first things it brought to mind was a mix of and X and a Y wing with bits added. The colour scheme probably adds to that image. But still good stuff.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 12/09/04 - 7:03 AM Permalink

doh! now you have pointed it out it looks VERY X + Y wing. It is meant to look starwars derived but it hasn't really made any new ground has it :(

Your fast response spurred me into action to do another concept this arvo. C&C welcome, I might aim to do a few more and then refine one design over the next few weeks (time permitting)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200491165110_Space-Racer2L…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 12/09/04 - 9:05 PM Permalink

looks cool but the back of the ship looks a bit too square for my liking, detracts from a streamlined face moving machine image.
great drawing though :D

Submitted by matias on Sun, 12/09/04 - 11:55 PM Permalink

ooooh, love the second one! Has an awesome feel to it, I actually like the chunkyness of the body, I mean if its gonna be for space travel than it can just tear thru with guts!! haha, but thats my chunky leanings showing thru!! Once again an amazing piece of marker-mastery there John!!

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 19/09/04 - 12:47 AM Permalink

okaysie, some more concept spaceRacers. I've attmepted to get a bit of variety across the designs. As I mentioned above, I'm thinking of developing one further. So if anybody would like to see one in particular developed further say so :) as usual C&C welcome and appreciated too.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200491802618_SpaceRacer_v2…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/20049180320_SpaceRacer_v3…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200491803330_SpaceRacer_v4…]

Submitted by Jason on Sun, 19/09/04 - 1:42 AM Permalink

Damn! Those last three are just spectacular! I especially like the first one with the two large side parts like boats have. Sorta like the boat in Waterworld. Anyway keep it up. :)

Submitted by souri on Sun, 19/09/04 - 2:26 AM Permalink

Fantastic work [:)] Those vehicles would look awesome in a game.

Just a question on your perspective lines. Do you have a huge ass ruler to make those lines meet up or do you just estimate it roughly?

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 21/09/04 - 12:36 AM Permalink

big ass ruler! ...no not really, I just wanted to use the word ass in my post :P
no ruler used for working perspective lines, or in the drawings in general (with the exception of the top and bottom lines of the twin engines on the third one up.) - I have followed almost exactly Feng Zhu's process for marker visuals. So the only ruler work was for adding in perspective lines at the end to encourage the perception of space, done again by eye. I did draw in some rough perspective line framework by hand before commencing drawing. I think this step is worth doing as it is easier to see if the lines are converging correctly.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 22/09/04 - 2:47 AM Permalink

REally nice work John :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 22/09/04 - 7:28 AM Permalink

that recent batch is fantasitc, like the last one especially

Submitted by TyKeiL on Thu, 23/09/04 - 9:27 PM Permalink

sweet stuff,,spaceships are cool, for some reason i really like the first one, i dont care if its very x/y wing

Submitted by Stu on Mon, 27/09/04 - 4:35 AM Permalink

Personal opinion: They rock, but for racers (even space racers) I think they're a bit big I know a lot of the space is probably used ofr making more powerful engines and stuff, and not being limited by air resistance means that it doesn't matter as much, but just by looking at real-world racers forumla 1 cras and stuff are usually only just big enough for the pilot/driver and the engines.

Syi

Submitted by Me109 on Mon, 27/09/04 - 6:58 AM Permalink

sweet! I like nothing more than sexy space ships with big engines!! lol.. what would be nice thou is too see a dirty racer or introduce some alien styling into the engine bays or cockpits etc... sortof a hybrid racer put together in someones backyard... top work all the same!

Posted by Johnn on

Arrgh! this user-friendlyness is freaking me out!
...okay, freakout over :)
my latest marker and pen concept sketch. I've had a bit of a break from drawing but hope to get back into a regular habit with it again. I've included a bit of WIP action for anyone intersted in how it progressed. the thumbnail on the left is about 5 cm long and the other fit neatly onto an A4 page. 20 &50% markers used with some cleaning up and colouring in P'shop.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/2004910234315_Space-RacerL…]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Sun, 12/09/04 - 1:03 AM Permalink

Nice, though I must admit one of the first things it brought to mind was a mix of and X and a Y wing with bits added. The colour scheme probably adds to that image. But still good stuff.

Pantmonger

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 12/09/04 - 7:03 AM Permalink

doh! now you have pointed it out it looks VERY X + Y wing. It is meant to look starwars derived but it hasn't really made any new ground has it :(

Your fast response spurred me into action to do another concept this arvo. C&C welcome, I might aim to do a few more and then refine one design over the next few weeks (time permitting)

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200491165110_Space-Racer2L…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 12/09/04 - 9:05 PM Permalink

looks cool but the back of the ship looks a bit too square for my liking, detracts from a streamlined face moving machine image.
great drawing though :D

Submitted by matias on Sun, 12/09/04 - 11:55 PM Permalink

ooooh, love the second one! Has an awesome feel to it, I actually like the chunkyness of the body, I mean if its gonna be for space travel than it can just tear thru with guts!! haha, but thats my chunky leanings showing thru!! Once again an amazing piece of marker-mastery there John!!

Submitted by Johnn on Sun, 19/09/04 - 12:47 AM Permalink

okaysie, some more concept spaceRacers. I've attmepted to get a bit of variety across the designs. As I mentioned above, I'm thinking of developing one further. So if anybody would like to see one in particular developed further say so :) as usual C&C welcome and appreciated too.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200491802618_SpaceRacer_v2…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/20049180320_SpaceRacer_v3…]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/johnn/200491803330_SpaceRacer_v4…]

Submitted by Jason on Sun, 19/09/04 - 1:42 AM Permalink

Damn! Those last three are just spectacular! I especially like the first one with the two large side parts like boats have. Sorta like the boat in Waterworld. Anyway keep it up. :)

Submitted by souri on Sun, 19/09/04 - 2:26 AM Permalink

Fantastic work [:)] Those vehicles would look awesome in a game.

Just a question on your perspective lines. Do you have a huge ass ruler to make those lines meet up or do you just estimate it roughly?

Submitted by Johnn on Tue, 21/09/04 - 12:36 AM Permalink

big ass ruler! ...no not really, I just wanted to use the word ass in my post :P
no ruler used for working perspective lines, or in the drawings in general (with the exception of the top and bottom lines of the twin engines on the third one up.) - I have followed almost exactly Feng Zhu's process for marker visuals. So the only ruler work was for adding in perspective lines at the end to encourage the perception of space, done again by eye. I did draw in some rough perspective line framework by hand before commencing drawing. I think this step is worth doing as it is easier to see if the lines are converging correctly.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 22/09/04 - 2:47 AM Permalink

REally nice work John :)

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 22/09/04 - 7:28 AM Permalink

that recent batch is fantasitc, like the last one especially

Submitted by TyKeiL on Thu, 23/09/04 - 9:27 PM Permalink

sweet stuff,,spaceships are cool, for some reason i really like the first one, i dont care if its very x/y wing

Submitted by Stu on Mon, 27/09/04 - 4:35 AM Permalink

Personal opinion: They rock, but for racers (even space racers) I think they're a bit big I know a lot of the space is probably used ofr making more powerful engines and stuff, and not being limited by air resistance means that it doesn't matter as much, but just by looking at real-world racers forumla 1 cras and stuff are usually only just big enough for the pilot/driver and the engines.

Syi

Submitted by Me109 on Mon, 27/09/04 - 6:58 AM Permalink

sweet! I like nothing more than sexy space ships with big engines!! lol.. what would be nice thou is too see a dirty racer or introduce some alien styling into the engine bays or cockpits etc... sortof a hybrid racer put together in someones backyard... top work all the same!