Skip to main content

Character skinners

Submitted by Makk on

Does anyone know if any companies would hire someone who does freelance character skins for games? and possibly level textures (but preferbly just character skins).
I was thinking of maybe getting a portfolio togerther of some the work that I can do with the hope of getting a contract, as I am in need of some $$$.

Honestly, whats the chances of this happining? I dont want to put all this hard work into it if no one hires artists like this these days.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 11/06/04 - 12:58 AM Permalink

Cant say ive tested the waters for just character skinning, but its beginning to be looked at in a whole new light ( the freelancing side of things ).

I'd suggest getting just a couple of examples and firing them off to as many dev houses as you can, and simply asking whether or not they would consider it.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 15/06/04 - 2:56 AM Permalink

Thanks Hazard, I was thinking of doing that.
It would be helpfull to hear from some other poeple in the industry.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 15/06/04 - 7:06 AM Permalink

If you can roll out some higher detail textures, then you may want to look into Film/TV studios as well. They are always looking for freelance artists.

Just be very careful with freelancing. I have read some pretty bad stories about people's past experiences (I have also read some damn good ones as well).

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 15/06/04 - 10:49 AM Permalink

Further to Avens comments, Some advice when freelancing, be sure to have your documentation sealed tighter than a fish's bum.

Define all areas clearly, so as never to be caught doing 'free' extra work. This is where MANY individuals suffer, as too often helping out and 'customer service' ends up doubling the amount of time required to complete a job.

Having said that - take the film tact as aven suggested, that work is very constant.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 16/06/04 - 6:07 AM Permalink

hmm.... never really thought of film/tv as a possiblity. Would be hard to break into though.
But what sort of texture work would they be doing?

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 16/06/04 - 6:12 PM Permalink

It's actually easier than you think to get into. I was offered a job earlier this year and the company had never seen any of my work! There are far more Animation houses in Australia than Game Dev houses.

They do a variety of work. From texturing buildings (probably the most common), and general city texturing. Up to characters and vehicles. It just depends what the project calls for. The only problem is that you will have to know how to paint up more than just diffuse maps. Being higher end work, you will need to have maps like specular, bump, reflection. Depending on the place, Shader knowledge will also help you out. That isn't a big deal though.

Posted by Makk on

Does anyone know if any companies would hire someone who does freelance character skins for games? and possibly level textures (but preferbly just character skins).
I was thinking of maybe getting a portfolio togerther of some the work that I can do with the hope of getting a contract, as I am in need of some $$$.

Honestly, whats the chances of this happining? I dont want to put all this hard work into it if no one hires artists like this these days.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 11/06/04 - 12:58 AM Permalink

Cant say ive tested the waters for just character skinning, but its beginning to be looked at in a whole new light ( the freelancing side of things ).

I'd suggest getting just a couple of examples and firing them off to as many dev houses as you can, and simply asking whether or not they would consider it.

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 15/06/04 - 2:56 AM Permalink

Thanks Hazard, I was thinking of doing that.
It would be helpfull to hear from some other poeple in the industry.

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 15/06/04 - 7:06 AM Permalink

If you can roll out some higher detail textures, then you may want to look into Film/TV studios as well. They are always looking for freelance artists.

Just be very careful with freelancing. I have read some pretty bad stories about people's past experiences (I have also read some damn good ones as well).

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 15/06/04 - 10:49 AM Permalink

Further to Avens comments, Some advice when freelancing, be sure to have your documentation sealed tighter than a fish's bum.

Define all areas clearly, so as never to be caught doing 'free' extra work. This is where MANY individuals suffer, as too often helping out and 'customer service' ends up doubling the amount of time required to complete a job.

Having said that - take the film tact as aven suggested, that work is very constant.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 16/06/04 - 6:07 AM Permalink

hmm.... never really thought of film/tv as a possiblity. Would be hard to break into though.
But what sort of texture work would they be doing?

Submitted by Aven on Wed, 16/06/04 - 6:12 PM Permalink

It's actually easier than you think to get into. I was offered a job earlier this year and the company had never seen any of my work! There are far more Animation houses in Australia than Game Dev houses.

They do a variety of work. From texturing buildings (probably the most common), and general city texturing. Up to characters and vehicles. It just depends what the project calls for. The only problem is that you will have to know how to paint up more than just diffuse maps. Being higher end work, you will need to have maps like specular, bump, reflection. Depending on the place, Shader knowledge will also help you out. That isn't a big deal though.