Skip to main content

Roadster Sketches

• Testing a Microsoft Surface for digital art along with Krita. The latter is proving to be a very capable drawing/painting program. In some aspects equal to - if not better than - Photoshop! MS Surface is good but not as good as a wacom tablet.…

• I quick illustration depicting a true story (or so I am told) of a tank crew rescuing an australia soldier in the Vietnam war. Rough sketchy styling but required some research and accuracy as vetaran's seeing it would be critical. Painted in…

• A recent game interface job I completed for an Adelaide based iphone/mobile developer. Final graphics included animation on the handkerchief as the rope moves and animated icons on the menu screen. Graphics are all based on photos then heavily…

• It's not really directly game related but I thought I'd post it anyway (Let's pretend it's a character study). This is where my recent illustration energies had been going rather than into concept art related topics. Created for a charity Auction…

• Revisiting the first fleet of ships for Tsumea Team C project. One new design with the other 3 polished/modified small to moderate amounts. Whilst the details are still loose I'm satisfied with the overall designs. fingers crossed the rest of the…

• More thumbnails for Team C game. These are my first round of ships for the opposing team. More angular and blocky in form with a relatively raw/industrial finish compaired to the other set.

• More thumbnails. These ones are variations working a single design idea.

• update of potential artillery/ planet attack ship.

• A small update on concept art for Team C project.

• Some initial sketches whilst I warm up for the task of producing some concepts for tsumea's team C project.

Submitted by Johnn on

The latest from my sketch book. I seem to have returned to the machinery/vehicle theme, for the moment at least. These are the better two (of four) sketches that I have done (so far) of this topic. All are single seat roadster style cars.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_vehicle_car_2L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_vehicle_car_1L.jpg[/img]

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 11/03/04 - 7:12 PM Permalink

That's cool, looks like one of those crazy concept cars at the motorshow.

Submitted by codyalday on Fri, 12/03/04 - 2:51 AM Permalink

Looks awsome man, nice imagination and creativity you have, keep it up, who knows, you might be designer cars when you are older.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 12/03/04 - 2:55 AM Permalink

you seem to have talent accross quite a broad range of subjects, ive seen architecture, cars and even mechs from you, great stuff! :D

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 12/03/04 - 3:33 AM Permalink

When I'm older !!?!?! Man, how old do you have to be to get a job doing illustration? I might use that as my official reason for not being gainfully employed at the moment though... I wonder if centrelink will buy that one ;)

Thanks MoonUnit. In some ways I don't find much technical difference drawing the varied subjects. Despite this it seems that 3D skills are now mandatory to get a job in the gaming industry :(

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 12/03/04 - 4:07 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by JohnN

Despite this it seems that 3D skills are now mandatory to get a job in the gaming industry :(

I know what you mean :(
Anyway, these look really cool. The bonnet(sp?) of the first one looks abit flat, but its alright.
Yeah, you seem to be able to draw alot of different subjects. I guess its a matter of applying certian rules of perspective, etc
..oh, and skill as well :)

Submitted by Red 5 on Fri, 12/03/04 - 7:18 AM Permalink

John, nice work but just a couple of practicality issues... the exhausts do look cool where you've placed them but can you imagine the heat they'd generate so close to the drivers head, and those open front wheels on the second image would have to be covered over.
You might like to check out the new Aussie built Elfin cars launched at the recent Melbourne motor show, very nice (and along the same lines as yours) http://www.elfin.com.au/ms8.htm

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 13/03/04 - 12:29 AM Permalink

I saw a Streamliner pic the day after I did my first pic! Initially I was peeved that there was an actual car so close in concept to the lines I was thinking along. Then I decided that it was an indication the general concept was good so continued. Thanks for the link, I will absorb the photos for further inspiration (2 super cool cars!)

As for exhaust- it would be unpleasent esp. whilst stationery... a heat guard wrapping over the exhaust would be a potentially very nice detail to add (*makes mental note).

wheel guards- wheel shmards I say ;) (not a public road going car in its current form I agree)

Submitted by Idaho on Wed, 17/03/04 - 1:06 AM Permalink

Hi John, NICE WORK! im no expert on perspective drawing but the only crit i can give you is that the curvature of the grill seems like its twisted slightly.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 17/03/04 - 5:09 AM Permalink

jumping frog toads batman thats good! nice PS work man. Were u using a tablet for any of that?

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 17/03/04 - 10:59 PM Permalink

Thanks Idaho- I revisited the perspective after your comments, and did some tweeking. I will look at posting the altered version soon (maybe replace the above image if I can figure out how to.)

I'm yet to invest in a tablet (is on my 'toys to buy' list though) So all done with mouse.

Edit (18 March): Image above has been changed! Idaho's comments hopefully no longer apply :)

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 19/03/04 - 4:33 AM Permalink

The last one looks really sweet. 80s American Muscle all the way :D

It may just be the shadow, but the front wheel looks very crooked. The peak at the top and bottom of the back wheel line up perfectly on a vertical line, but the fron one doesn't seem to. My eyes could just be a little off though :)

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 20/03/04 - 3:04 AM Permalink

Thanks Aven, I have tinkered further with front wheel. Hope that it is looking better now. I think the stolen wheels weren't helping either as they were not at quite the right angle. I'm not sure about weather the top&bottom peaks should line up! Currently i am working on the 'widest section is perpendicular to the axle' rule. (I can post a sample if this confuses anyone.)

Oh yeah! I took it to the paint shop too :)

Keep the crit comming- I want to get this pic A1 for the lead pic in my illustration portfolio. (I'm also looking for feed back on that- see the 'Job and Work Experience discussion' section for more details)

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 21/03/04 - 5:02 AM Permalink

Hey John, that is looking killer :)
You might wnat to remove the grey background and put in a road or something. It would also give you the chance to play with reflections a bit more.
Check out thw work of Scott Robertson, he does some really awesome car renderings http://www.drawthrough.com/sketches/index.html

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 21/03/04 - 6:34 AM Permalink

looking very polished (like literally aswell :P ), the new wheels could use something more then a flat hubcap type area but i think it still tops the inserted wheels.

nice work

Posted by Johnn on

The latest from my sketch book. I seem to have returned to the machinery/vehicle theme, for the moment at least. These are the better two (of four) sketches that I have done (so far) of this topic. All are single seat roadster style cars.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_vehicle_car_2L.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_vehicle_car_1L.jpg[/img]

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 11/03/04 - 7:12 PM Permalink

That's cool, looks like one of those crazy concept cars at the motorshow.

Submitted by codyalday on Fri, 12/03/04 - 2:51 AM Permalink

Looks awsome man, nice imagination and creativity you have, keep it up, who knows, you might be designer cars when you are older.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 12/03/04 - 2:55 AM Permalink

you seem to have talent accross quite a broad range of subjects, ive seen architecture, cars and even mechs from you, great stuff! :D

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 12/03/04 - 3:33 AM Permalink

When I'm older !!?!?! Man, how old do you have to be to get a job doing illustration? I might use that as my official reason for not being gainfully employed at the moment though... I wonder if centrelink will buy that one ;)

Thanks MoonUnit. In some ways I don't find much technical difference drawing the varied subjects. Despite this it seems that 3D skills are now mandatory to get a job in the gaming industry :(

Submitted by Makk on Fri, 12/03/04 - 4:07 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by JohnN

Despite this it seems that 3D skills are now mandatory to get a job in the gaming industry :(

I know what you mean :(
Anyway, these look really cool. The bonnet(sp?) of the first one looks abit flat, but its alright.
Yeah, you seem to be able to draw alot of different subjects. I guess its a matter of applying certian rules of perspective, etc
..oh, and skill as well :)

Submitted by Red 5 on Fri, 12/03/04 - 7:18 AM Permalink

John, nice work but just a couple of practicality issues... the exhausts do look cool where you've placed them but can you imagine the heat they'd generate so close to the drivers head, and those open front wheels on the second image would have to be covered over.
You might like to check out the new Aussie built Elfin cars launched at the recent Melbourne motor show, very nice (and along the same lines as yours) http://www.elfin.com.au/ms8.htm

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 13/03/04 - 12:29 AM Permalink

I saw a Streamliner pic the day after I did my first pic! Initially I was peeved that there was an actual car so close in concept to the lines I was thinking along. Then I decided that it was an indication the general concept was good so continued. Thanks for the link, I will absorb the photos for further inspiration (2 super cool cars!)

As for exhaust- it would be unpleasent esp. whilst stationery... a heat guard wrapping over the exhaust would be a potentially very nice detail to add (*makes mental note).

wheel guards- wheel shmards I say ;) (not a public road going car in its current form I agree)

Submitted by Idaho on Wed, 17/03/04 - 1:06 AM Permalink

Hi John, NICE WORK! im no expert on perspective drawing but the only crit i can give you is that the curvature of the grill seems like its twisted slightly.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 17/03/04 - 5:09 AM Permalink

jumping frog toads batman thats good! nice PS work man. Were u using a tablet for any of that?

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 17/03/04 - 10:59 PM Permalink

Thanks Idaho- I revisited the perspective after your comments, and did some tweeking. I will look at posting the altered version soon (maybe replace the above image if I can figure out how to.)

I'm yet to invest in a tablet (is on my 'toys to buy' list though) So all done with mouse.

Edit (18 March): Image above has been changed! Idaho's comments hopefully no longer apply :)

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 19/03/04 - 4:33 AM Permalink

The last one looks really sweet. 80s American Muscle all the way :D

It may just be the shadow, but the front wheel looks very crooked. The peak at the top and bottom of the back wheel line up perfectly on a vertical line, but the fron one doesn't seem to. My eyes could just be a little off though :)

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 20/03/04 - 3:04 AM Permalink

Thanks Aven, I have tinkered further with front wheel. Hope that it is looking better now. I think the stolen wheels weren't helping either as they were not at quite the right angle. I'm not sure about weather the top&bottom peaks should line up! Currently i am working on the 'widest section is perpendicular to the axle' rule. (I can post a sample if this confuses anyone.)

Oh yeah! I took it to the paint shop too :)

Keep the crit comming- I want to get this pic A1 for the lead pic in my illustration portfolio. (I'm also looking for feed back on that- see the 'Job and Work Experience discussion' section for more details)

Submitted by Makk on Sun, 21/03/04 - 5:02 AM Permalink

Hey John, that is looking killer :)
You might wnat to remove the grey background and put in a road or something. It would also give you the chance to play with reflections a bit more.
Check out thw work of Scott Robertson, he does some really awesome car renderings http://www.drawthrough.com/sketches/index.html

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 21/03/04 - 6:34 AM Permalink

looking very polished (like literally aswell :P ), the new wheels could use something more then a flat hubcap type area but i think it still tops the inserted wheels.

nice work