Skip to main content

AMD 32 Bit, and Activision

Submitted by amckern on
Forum

a few things -

is AMD still making 32 Bit processors?

i heard through rumors that they are not due, to R&D costs

and where did Activision's Epping office go? I just saw the sign next to the place i worked at for 2 years, though going to there old offices, on level 6 yilede a software develoment biz, but no Activision

PS, is Take2, Honsbey just disterbruition>

(sorry for typos, asleap)

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 11/06/03 - 11:55 AM Permalink

Developing 32-bit processors? Afaik, no they aren't. Manufacturing them? Yes.
MS is going to support x86-64 with their next OS (afaik) and AMD's next processor will use x86-64 and I imagine that's where there efforts are being focussed right now.
As for activision - I have no idea.

Submitted by Major Clod on Thu, 12/06/03 - 8:13 AM Permalink

The Athlon 64 will be completely backwards compatible with existing 32-bit systems, and is intended to be released in September. I'd say the current 32-bit Athlons will be slowly fazed out as the Athlon 64 comes in. Intel have no plans at present of releasing a 64-bit CPU for desktops. Whether or not this actually effects we'll have to wait and see.

Posted by amckern on
Forum

a few things -

is AMD still making 32 Bit processors?

i heard through rumors that they are not due, to R&D costs

and where did Activision's Epping office go? I just saw the sign next to the place i worked at for 2 years, though going to there old offices, on level 6 yilede a software develoment biz, but no Activision

PS, is Take2, Honsbey just disterbruition>

(sorry for typos, asleap)

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 11/06/03 - 11:55 AM Permalink

Developing 32-bit processors? Afaik, no they aren't. Manufacturing them? Yes.
MS is going to support x86-64 with their next OS (afaik) and AMD's next processor will use x86-64 and I imagine that's where there efforts are being focussed right now.
As for activision - I have no idea.

Submitted by Major Clod on Thu, 12/06/03 - 8:13 AM Permalink

The Athlon 64 will be completely backwards compatible with existing 32-bit systems, and is intended to be released in September. I'd say the current 32-bit Athlons will be slowly fazed out as the Athlon 64 comes in. Intel have no plans at present of releasing a 64-bit CPU for desktops. Whether or not this actually effects we'll have to wait and see.