Skip to main content

<insert crude "got head" joke here>

Submitted by J I Styles on

ok, first of all, it's still fairly early for how far I want to take it, but this is my attempt at getting as close as I can to a loose definition of photo-real in the cheapest way possible. Not anywhere close yet, but it's only 40-50% done, so sue me [;)]

1 diffuse, 1 specular, 692 polys, vertex lit

hand painted, and modelled with vert lighting in mind.

running at ut2003 specs, compatible with q3a engine tech (yup, q3a had a spec pass)

[img]http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/081203-head_test5.jpg[/img]

anyways, like I said it's still all fairly early, maybe 40-50% done - want to completely redo the eye area (give them a bit more "soul" and make them more alive looking), want to do an entire polygonal 'rim-tip-and-tuck' hair-do (ala kinda like the ffx and ffxi in-game cinematic stuff).

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 09/12/03 - 8:55 AM Permalink

Excellent start there Styles :D
I really like the subtle texturing in the face. The mouth and ears look a little funky, but hey it is a WIP like you said. What size are the texture sheets?
REally cool work

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 09/12/03 - 9:48 AM Permalink

wow thats seriously good!! that must have taken a long time

yeah is suppose you could go back and give the eyes another shot, as they are atm they look sort of flat, but really they aint bad at all

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 09/12/03 - 11:21 AM Permalink

Ah. He needs a bigger throat....

:D

Looking pretty good so far. Especially the texturing.

I wont post any crits yet, as you said he is only half way done.

Would definitely love to see him with ff style hair :)

Submitted by jacobt on Tue, 09/12/03 - 12:33 PM Permalink

Yeah looks great so far, looks better on the blue side.

Can you show us the wireframe?

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 09/12/03 - 2:36 PM Permalink

Me still likes.

Would be cool to see an alternate-junky version of the skin. I think some mucus, zits and other facial inconsitencies would be good to see from you.

Thats the one thing that bugs me about your stuff (apart from it being so damn good.. you damn bastard!!!) is that for the most part the skin surface is fairly consistent, clean, and well, always symmetrical..
Not necessarily a bad thing(in most cases a good thing), I'm making it sound much worse than it is.

I'd like to see you push some more variations into it :D. A character with some kind of pox or plague would be pretty schnazzy.

What do i mean.. I don't know.. It's 3:30am and I just finished work... arses made me work 12 hours without a break..... :( If you take offense to anything I've said I'm sorry.. I mean it in a nice way though :P

Anyhow, I still like it as is, but it's very Joel.. Albeit higher quality Joel.

Make something that will make me say

'What the crap, Joel made that!! - *runs to hump joels leg*'

Submitted by Jeremiah on Wed, 10/12/03 - 12:12 PM Permalink

Awesome work, only thing i would say is his eyes seemed a little closed, but he is probably squinting a little, and the tip of his noise is to flat in the side view's. I have no crits on the texturing, but it would look cool in my opinion if his face had a few more wrinkles or "age" stubble etc..., it looks a little smooth like he has make up on, but as you said only 40% done and its what your probably wanting to show. Im new to 3d so I cant really give you a good crit anyway as im still in-experienced. I hope to achieve this level of ability one day. Excellent work.

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 19/12/03 - 9:38 PM Permalink

I've done a few more hours somewhere along the line, mostly some major eye surgery, so I'll be updating as soon as I remember to when I'm at home [;)]

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 21/02/04 - 7:27 AM Permalink

Looking good :)
His ear is painted too far back I think, there is a pretty big gap between the ear (model geomatry) and the start of the ear (texture).
Maybe add some more red into the nose, its a bit hard to tell with the lighting on that shot.
His eyebrows are a little to groomed for my liking, and if they arent, making them slightly assymetrical is a good idea too.
Its a personal prefrence but maybe add some more stubble to his jawline. Since his eyes have those crowfeet wrinkles (or whatever you call them) fairly defined, why not add a wrinkle under his eye area as well.

Anyway, those were just some small suggestions. It looks really good Styles :)

ok, first of all, it's still fairly early for how far I want to take it, but this is my attempt at getting as close as I can to a loose definition of photo-real in the cheapest way possible. Not anywhere close yet, but it's only 40-50% done, so sue me [;)]

1 diffuse, 1 specular, 692 polys, vertex lit

hand painted, and modelled with vert lighting in mind.

running at ut2003 specs, compatible with q3a engine tech (yup, q3a had a spec pass)

[img]http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/081203-head_test5.jpg[/img]

anyways, like I said it's still all fairly early, maybe 40-50% done - want to completely redo the eye area (give them a bit more "soul" and make them more alive looking), want to do an entire polygonal 'rim-tip-and-tuck' hair-do (ala kinda like the ffx and ffxi in-game cinematic stuff).

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 09/12/03 - 8:55 AM Permalink

Excellent start there Styles :D
I really like the subtle texturing in the face. The mouth and ears look a little funky, but hey it is a WIP like you said. What size are the texture sheets?
REally cool work

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 09/12/03 - 9:48 AM Permalink

wow thats seriously good!! that must have taken a long time

yeah is suppose you could go back and give the eyes another shot, as they are atm they look sort of flat, but really they aint bad at all

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 09/12/03 - 11:21 AM Permalink

Ah. He needs a bigger throat....

:D

Looking pretty good so far. Especially the texturing.

I wont post any crits yet, as you said he is only half way done.

Would definitely love to see him with ff style hair :)

Submitted by jacobt on Tue, 09/12/03 - 12:33 PM Permalink

Yeah looks great so far, looks better on the blue side.

Can you show us the wireframe?

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 09/12/03 - 2:36 PM Permalink

Me still likes.

Would be cool to see an alternate-junky version of the skin. I think some mucus, zits and other facial inconsitencies would be good to see from you.

Thats the one thing that bugs me about your stuff (apart from it being so damn good.. you damn bastard!!!) is that for the most part the skin surface is fairly consistent, clean, and well, always symmetrical..
Not necessarily a bad thing(in most cases a good thing), I'm making it sound much worse than it is.

I'd like to see you push some more variations into it :D. A character with some kind of pox or plague would be pretty schnazzy.

What do i mean.. I don't know.. It's 3:30am and I just finished work... arses made me work 12 hours without a break..... :( If you take offense to anything I've said I'm sorry.. I mean it in a nice way though :P

Anyhow, I still like it as is, but it's very Joel.. Albeit higher quality Joel.

Make something that will make me say

'What the crap, Joel made that!! - *runs to hump joels leg*'

Submitted by Jeremiah on Wed, 10/12/03 - 12:12 PM Permalink

Awesome work, only thing i would say is his eyes seemed a little closed, but he is probably squinting a little, and the tip of his noise is to flat in the side view's. I have no crits on the texturing, but it would look cool in my opinion if his face had a few more wrinkles or "age" stubble etc..., it looks a little smooth like he has make up on, but as you said only 40% done and its what your probably wanting to show. Im new to 3d so I cant really give you a good crit anyway as im still in-experienced. I hope to achieve this level of ability one day. Excellent work.

Submitted by J I Styles on Fri, 19/12/03 - 9:38 PM Permalink

I've done a few more hours somewhere along the line, mostly some major eye surgery, so I'll be updating as soon as I remember to when I'm at home [;)]

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 21/02/04 - 7:27 AM Permalink

Looking good :)
His ear is painted too far back I think, there is a pretty big gap between the ear (model geomatry) and the start of the ear (texture).
Maybe add some more red into the nose, its a bit hard to tell with the lighting on that shot.
His eyebrows are a little to groomed for my liking, and if they arent, making them slightly assymetrical is a good idea too.
Its a personal prefrence but maybe add some more stubble to his jawline. Since his eyes have those crowfeet wrinkles (or whatever you call them) fairly defined, why not add a wrinkle under his eye area as well.

Anyway, those were just some small suggestions. It looks really good Styles :)