Skip to main content

how do you make a game for ps3,xbox,wii,pc

Submitted by gamer 500 on
Forum

how do you start off developing a game

Submitted by Harrison (not verified) on Wed, 10/10/12 - 6:27 PM Permalink

Hey gamer 500, I'm 13. I've been in the same position as you, i hope ik able to help you. in order to make games, you need to learn to program... This can be a daunting task... It Is until you have your (what I call) eureaka moment... Generally youl be in the shower... Maybe having a bath or just relaxing and Boom , everything will make sense. You will understand classes functions EVERYTHING. I still get these but on more complicated problems (like collision detection).

At the moment I'm making my first game in flash. I managed to get the student discount on flash builder which is very easy (I got it with my buss pass). But in terms of what you want to do, I would suggest learning something called unity3D (if you have the money). As I believe unity is basically a multi-platform game engine for 3d games (if you want to make 2d games checkout futile). The only problem would be that unity costs money to release on those platforms you specified.

Another problem I have to present to you is that xBox and PS3 games are not compatible. (As far as I know). PS3/WII/most other consoles use a thing called openGL to render graphics (you don't really need to worry about this). On the other hand xboxes do NOT accept openGL, they use a thing called directX (which is basically microsofts openGL).

I really do recomend flash for getting started though. DO NOT go into python/pygame if you ever want to release your game. The easiest way to start games would be to download flash develop or flash builder trial. Then use an engine to get started (eg. Flixel or flashpunk).

I really hope this helped... If I'm not being specific enough email me: harrison@theshoebridges.com (also HIGH FIVE FOR BEING UNDERAGE AUSSIE INDIES!!!)

Submitted by CraigOZ (not verified) on Wed, 10/10/12 - 6:50 PM Permalink

I would suggest that you have a look at Unity 3D (Unity3d.com) as it is free to learn and can be upgraded to make games on all of the consoles, PC, Mac, Android, iPhone/iPad, Flash, the Web and now the WII.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 10/10/12 - 7:50 PM Permalink

I guess when anyone asks how to make a multiplatform game e.g for ps3, xbox, wii, pc etc, the Unity game engine will most likely be the most popular answer. And I would agree, it's a great choice. However, if you make a game using Unity and you want to release on consoles, you'll need to know that you're jumping completely in the deep end here, and it's gonna cost you a whole lot of money too - more money than you should be putting in for your first ever game.

In fact, the Unity website doesn't disclose the actual cost to license the engine for any of the consoles (PS3, Xbox, Wii etc) since you will need to contact them directly and they'll assess your project and discuss the costs involved to license their engine. To get a Unity game running on iPhone and Android, it is going to set you (using the pro versions) $4,500 US... so if you're thinking about consoles, then it'll undoubtedly cost you a whole lot more in comparison.

I think in your case, you shouldn't be thinking about multi-platform releases and consoles just yet. You need to start off really simple. Games are hard to make, and you're going to have to learn scripting or a programming language first. If you've never done this before, it can be a huge learning curve.

You can get the indie version of Unity to start off with which is free, but you'll need to learn C# to make a game. The other choice that others have suggested is Flash, but you'll need to learn Action Script. There are, however, much easier options out there that will get you to making your first games much quicker. Perhaps try out the free version of the GameMaker studio program?

If you want to make games but you don't want to program, I highly suggest something like Game Salad where you can make games with no programming knowledge at all. There's a free version available which you can export to Mac and PC, and for just an extra $270, you can then put your games out for iPhone and iPad.

Submitted by gamer 500 on Thu, 11/10/12 - 5:46 PM Permalink

Yes, thankyou, I have tried looking into Unity. But when I tried to install it I get a message saying "This requires administrator access to install successfully". I dont know what this means or how to fix it.
If you or anybody else knows what this means, I would be grateful to know

Submitted by gamer 500 on Thu, 11/10/12 - 5:48 PM Permalink

Hey Harrison, thankuuuu sooooo much for your response. Its nice to know there are other kids in the same position as me.
Hope we can keep in touch via this forum and help each other

Submitted by Conor on Mon, 22/10/12 - 11:28 AM Permalink

When you first install Windows on a computer, it asks you to create an administrator username and password. Only the administrator is allowed to modify Windows and install or delete programs. You'll have to ask whoever installed Windows on your computer for the Administrator username and password so you can install new programs.

Posted by gamer 500 on
Forum

how do you start off developing a game

Submitted by Harrison (not verified) on Wed, 10/10/12 - 6:27 PM Permalink

Hey gamer 500, I'm 13. I've been in the same position as you, i hope ik able to help you. in order to make games, you need to learn to program... This can be a daunting task... It Is until you have your (what I call) eureaka moment... Generally youl be in the shower... Maybe having a bath or just relaxing and Boom , everything will make sense. You will understand classes functions EVERYTHING. I still get these but on more complicated problems (like collision detection).

At the moment I'm making my first game in flash. I managed to get the student discount on flash builder which is very easy (I got it with my buss pass). But in terms of what you want to do, I would suggest learning something called unity3D (if you have the money). As I believe unity is basically a multi-platform game engine for 3d games (if you want to make 2d games checkout futile). The only problem would be that unity costs money to release on those platforms you specified.

Another problem I have to present to you is that xBox and PS3 games are not compatible. (As far as I know). PS3/WII/most other consoles use a thing called openGL to render graphics (you don't really need to worry about this). On the other hand xboxes do NOT accept openGL, they use a thing called directX (which is basically microsofts openGL).

I really do recomend flash for getting started though. DO NOT go into python/pygame if you ever want to release your game. The easiest way to start games would be to download flash develop or flash builder trial. Then use an engine to get started (eg. Flixel or flashpunk).

I really hope this helped... If I'm not being specific enough email me: harrison@theshoebridges.com (also HIGH FIVE FOR BEING UNDERAGE AUSSIE INDIES!!!)

Submitted by CraigOZ (not verified) on Wed, 10/10/12 - 6:50 PM Permalink

I would suggest that you have a look at Unity 3D (Unity3d.com) as it is free to learn and can be upgraded to make games on all of the consoles, PC, Mac, Android, iPhone/iPad, Flash, the Web and now the WII.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 10/10/12 - 7:50 PM Permalink

I guess when anyone asks how to make a multiplatform game e.g for ps3, xbox, wii, pc etc, the Unity game engine will most likely be the most popular answer. And I would agree, it's a great choice. However, if you make a game using Unity and you want to release on consoles, you'll need to know that you're jumping completely in the deep end here, and it's gonna cost you a whole lot of money too - more money than you should be putting in for your first ever game.

In fact, the Unity website doesn't disclose the actual cost to license the engine for any of the consoles (PS3, Xbox, Wii etc) since you will need to contact them directly and they'll assess your project and discuss the costs involved to license their engine. To get a Unity game running on iPhone and Android, it is going to set you (using the pro versions) $4,500 US... so if you're thinking about consoles, then it'll undoubtedly cost you a whole lot more in comparison.

I think in your case, you shouldn't be thinking about multi-platform releases and consoles just yet. You need to start off really simple. Games are hard to make, and you're going to have to learn scripting or a programming language first. If you've never done this before, it can be a huge learning curve.

You can get the indie version of Unity to start off with which is free, but you'll need to learn C# to make a game. The other choice that others have suggested is Flash, but you'll need to learn Action Script. There are, however, much easier options out there that will get you to making your first games much quicker. Perhaps try out the free version of the GameMaker studio program?

If you want to make games but you don't want to program, I highly suggest something like Game Salad where you can make games with no programming knowledge at all. There's a free version available which you can export to Mac and PC, and for just an extra $270, you can then put your games out for iPhone and iPad.

Submitted by gamer 500 on Thu, 11/10/12 - 5:46 PM Permalink

Yes, thankyou, I have tried looking into Unity. But when I tried to install it I get a message saying "This requires administrator access to install successfully". I dont know what this means or how to fix it.
If you or anybody else knows what this means, I would be grateful to know

Submitted by gamer 500 on Thu, 11/10/12 - 5:48 PM Permalink

Hey Harrison, thankuuuu sooooo much for your response. Its nice to know there are other kids in the same position as me.
Hope we can keep in touch via this forum and help each other

Submitted by Conor on Mon, 22/10/12 - 11:28 AM Permalink

When you first install Windows on a computer, it asks you to create an administrator username and password. Only the administrator is allowed to modify Windows and install or delete programs. You'll have to ask whoever installed Windows on your computer for the Administrator username and password so you can install new programs.