Skip to main content

Noobie wanting help

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

HI I ave lately decided to start getting into 3D modelling. I am 16 years old and completely new to this industry. I have Truespace and Maya PLE. I was wondering where you guys learnt to do all your stuff and just wanted to get a few ideas to get me started. Any websites, books or so on. I would also like to know which software is the best to use.

Forever Greatful.[:D]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 09/09/03 - 9:27 AM Permalink

Well, this place is as good a start as any..
There are a number of places where you can learn to do this stuff..

the AIE in canberra(one in melbourne soon too), and QANTM in Brisbane are probably the most well known.. There are links to them through this site (sorry, too lazy to grab them)..

Those are the places to check for courses. In terms of study you do on your own.. Do art courses in school.. Paint/draw lots of stuff. Solid 2d skills are a must.

Check out the works of Craig Mullins, Frank Frazetta, Brom (www.bromart.com), Feng Zhu (www.fengart.com), hawkprey (www.hawkprey.com).. These guys are great with 2d stuff.. For in game texturing, look no further than quake3.. Look through the baseq3 folder, pak.pk3.. (winzip will open it).. Kenneth Scott is the texture monkey behind the player maps.. I learnt a lot from just looking at his work..
hope this helps.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 09/09/03 - 9:42 AM Permalink

as for "best software"
just read this:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=cd7d0331af6a34540d07e012b968293e…

courses...yeah those two places Sbob said.
i cant comment on either of them. i did another course but pretty much ended up teaching myself. for me i just stuffed around in the program trying out everything browsed galleries over the internet and just looked at how other people did their work.

use this forum to ask any question- people are willing to help.

good luck

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 09/09/03 - 6:39 PM Permalink

Hi bullet21, Good idea to start off with an inexpensive but intuitive program such as Truespace. I began 3D with the first Windows version of Truespace 10-11 years ago and although taking a somewhat different approach than most other 3D apps, it's always been very inovative, light on system resources and easy to learn. I personally prefer to have a book or printed material in front of me if I'm going through a tutorial rather than alt/tab'ing from tutorials off the net... there is some very good Truespace books about if you decide to go that route.

Chances are you'll begin to explore other 3D apps as time goes by, but try to stick with one program as much as possible while you're in the early stages of learning.

Good luck :)

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 09/09/03 - 7:19 PM Permalink

Well it all depends on which angle you want to come from in the industry, there are different skills for different jobs, heres my take on it, not gospel but what I've noticed.

Character modelling:
Get a good grounding in anatomy, the flow and structure of muscle groups etc. This will help in the models creation stage and in the deformation stage, it also helps you rig correctly. It is good to know a variety of packages but learn on just one until your comfortable.

Props/vehicle modelling:
Not really my area but I guess the same as anything, study the subject thoroughly, how do vehicle work etc.

Concept artist:
I think this is the hardest of them all, you either have it or you don't, great skill matched with a freakishly intune imagination and speed, speed!!

Level design:
Use a variety of packages to make maps not just UT2003 etc, also study architecture/engineering of various cultures.

Texture artists:
2D is a must.
Also try using more than one medium when creating art, it helps to expand your ability quicker than sticking to say just sketching with a pencil 24/7, like Red 5 said check out how other people do it, painting on the flat is a bit tricky at first.
Paint more than just humans too try looking at everything, fur, skin, metal, dirt, leaves, how light affects objects bla bla etc.

Animators:
Timing, timing, timng and a good understanding of how humans/creatures move, also study the emotion of people this lends to how they physically react to things, a sad person walks differently to a happy person.

The best place to observe this is in real life but there are good schools that teach the basics of translating it into 3D, also try 2D animation too it helps.

One more thing I've noticed for animation in the games industry, you need a great imagination, my friend is an animator has a tonne of models and they all have idles, different idles?! Try doing that if you have no imagination.

I guess the biggest thing is to keep at it, you will be competing with people who have alot of skill, also I've found that its not just the most skilled that get work, its a competetive industry and the people who get in generally do so because they are persistant, very persistant, think stalker persistant [:P], so you can't slack off or they'll take your job.

Another thing, be honest with yourself, is this what you really want to do? Could you spend 8 -12 hrs a day in front of a computer modelling etc on a title like Elmos Super Happy Funhouse? Not all companies make Doom 3 for every title.
If you could then go for it, just remember this industry isn't just about playing games, in fact I haven't played a game at work since I started.

Ok as for where to get info on techniques, well here of course and places like:

[url]www.cgtalk.com[/url]
[url]www.polycount.com[/url]
[url]www.cgchannel.com[/url]
[url]www.cgchat.com[/url]

All good sites I check out, there forums are a great place to pick up hints and they have lots of links to tutorials, they also keep you informed as to how the industry is evolving.

Books are a good source of info as well, I don't know many but if you are an animator you can't go past Richard Williams, Animator Survival guide.

Hope that huge post helps. [:P]

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

HI I ave lately decided to start getting into 3D modelling. I am 16 years old and completely new to this industry. I have Truespace and Maya PLE. I was wondering where you guys learnt to do all your stuff and just wanted to get a few ideas to get me started. Any websites, books or so on. I would also like to know which software is the best to use.

Forever Greatful.[:D]

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Tue, 09/09/03 - 9:27 AM Permalink

Well, this place is as good a start as any..
There are a number of places where you can learn to do this stuff..

the AIE in canberra(one in melbourne soon too), and QANTM in Brisbane are probably the most well known.. There are links to them through this site (sorry, too lazy to grab them)..

Those are the places to check for courses. In terms of study you do on your own.. Do art courses in school.. Paint/draw lots of stuff. Solid 2d skills are a must.

Check out the works of Craig Mullins, Frank Frazetta, Brom (www.bromart.com), Feng Zhu (www.fengart.com), hawkprey (www.hawkprey.com).. These guys are great with 2d stuff.. For in game texturing, look no further than quake3.. Look through the baseq3 folder, pak.pk3.. (winzip will open it).. Kenneth Scott is the texture monkey behind the player maps.. I learnt a lot from just looking at his work..
hope this helps.

Submitted by inglis on Tue, 09/09/03 - 9:42 AM Permalink

as for "best software"
just read this:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=cd7d0331af6a34540d07e012b968293e…

courses...yeah those two places Sbob said.
i cant comment on either of them. i did another course but pretty much ended up teaching myself. for me i just stuffed around in the program trying out everything browsed galleries over the internet and just looked at how other people did their work.

use this forum to ask any question- people are willing to help.

good luck

Submitted by Red 5 on Tue, 09/09/03 - 6:39 PM Permalink

Hi bullet21, Good idea to start off with an inexpensive but intuitive program such as Truespace. I began 3D with the first Windows version of Truespace 10-11 years ago and although taking a somewhat different approach than most other 3D apps, it's always been very inovative, light on system resources and easy to learn. I personally prefer to have a book or printed material in front of me if I'm going through a tutorial rather than alt/tab'ing from tutorials off the net... there is some very good Truespace books about if you decide to go that route.

Chances are you'll begin to explore other 3D apps as time goes by, but try to stick with one program as much as possible while you're in the early stages of learning.

Good luck :)

Submitted by Malus on Tue, 09/09/03 - 7:19 PM Permalink

Well it all depends on which angle you want to come from in the industry, there are different skills for different jobs, heres my take on it, not gospel but what I've noticed.

Character modelling:
Get a good grounding in anatomy, the flow and structure of muscle groups etc. This will help in the models creation stage and in the deformation stage, it also helps you rig correctly. It is good to know a variety of packages but learn on just one until your comfortable.

Props/vehicle modelling:
Not really my area but I guess the same as anything, study the subject thoroughly, how do vehicle work etc.

Concept artist:
I think this is the hardest of them all, you either have it or you don't, great skill matched with a freakishly intune imagination and speed, speed!!

Level design:
Use a variety of packages to make maps not just UT2003 etc, also study architecture/engineering of various cultures.

Texture artists:
2D is a must.
Also try using more than one medium when creating art, it helps to expand your ability quicker than sticking to say just sketching with a pencil 24/7, like Red 5 said check out how other people do it, painting on the flat is a bit tricky at first.
Paint more than just humans too try looking at everything, fur, skin, metal, dirt, leaves, how light affects objects bla bla etc.

Animators:
Timing, timing, timng and a good understanding of how humans/creatures move, also study the emotion of people this lends to how they physically react to things, a sad person walks differently to a happy person.

The best place to observe this is in real life but there are good schools that teach the basics of translating it into 3D, also try 2D animation too it helps.

One more thing I've noticed for animation in the games industry, you need a great imagination, my friend is an animator has a tonne of models and they all have idles, different idles?! Try doing that if you have no imagination.

I guess the biggest thing is to keep at it, you will be competing with people who have alot of skill, also I've found that its not just the most skilled that get work, its a competetive industry and the people who get in generally do so because they are persistant, very persistant, think stalker persistant [:P], so you can't slack off or they'll take your job.

Another thing, be honest with yourself, is this what you really want to do? Could you spend 8 -12 hrs a day in front of a computer modelling etc on a title like Elmos Super Happy Funhouse? Not all companies make Doom 3 for every title.
If you could then go for it, just remember this industry isn't just about playing games, in fact I haven't played a game at work since I started.

Ok as for where to get info on techniques, well here of course and places like:

[url]www.cgtalk.com[/url]
[url]www.polycount.com[/url]
[url]www.cgchannel.com[/url]
[url]www.cgchat.com[/url]

All good sites I check out, there forums are a great place to pick up hints and they have lots of links to tutorials, they also keep you informed as to how the industry is evolving.

Books are a good source of info as well, I don't know many but if you are an animator you can't go past Richard Williams, Animator Survival guide.

Hope that huge post helps. [:P]