Skip to main content

Job Lifespan

Submitted by Jason on

Everyone is talking about getting into the industry though I haven't come across many threads about lifespan in the industry. Most people employed in video games, I would assume are between their early 20s and late 30s. Do many people actually continue on into their 40s? My impression is no. I think spending so long in such a stressful industry would burn you out.

So basically, if I were able to get into the industry, it doesn't seem lik a very sustainable future and I'd need to look at a career change as I get older, which could be a big hassle. What do people do when they get older? Anyone working in the industry, what are your plans for the future, if you have any I'd appreciate hearing them. :D

Submitted by DaMunkee on Sat, 08/05/04 - 12:22 PM Permalink

Hey Jason, If you read the paper in this post, you'll see why people don't stay in it. They usually leave by choice as well.
[url]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1760[/url]

I know my plans are that I'm leaving the industry really freak'n soon :) Hehe 6 weeks baby and maybe a normal life!!!! Me, I only lasted 3 years/5 games. As for what I"m doing next. Well i'm a software engineer so I can get a job anywhere. I'm also currently in the process of arraging teaching some of the stuff I picked up.

If you're an artist, a lot of my friends leave and do contract work (and get paid bank doing it) or they move onto movies. If you're a designer... you're pretty much screwed. There's not many jobs that require the skills a designer builds when working in video games (or at least that's what my coworkers tell me).

So, In my opinion, Games are great to get into and they teach you a tonne about how not to manage a project which in turn allows you to relax more once you're out of the industry.

Chris

Submitted by Red 5 on Sat, 08/05/04 - 11:41 PM Permalink

Jason, I'm a perfect example of an exception to the rule.
I began working in the game industry in my 30's and am now in my 40's (yeah, I'm an old bugger with teenage kid's).

I do however think that the industry is geared towards young, preferably single people.

Typically long hours along with relatively low wages can (and often does) put a strain on personal relationships/marriages and family life.
If you really want to succeed and make a good sustained career in this industry it takes a good level of self discipline because the odds are stacked against it happening.
You have to contend with a certain amount of instability within any company, not knowing if you'll still have a job after you've finished your current game, you'll have to be fully aware of job promotion and how to place yourself in a position to be considered, health issues (sitting in front of a computer isn't everyone's cup of tea for years on end), boredom (people move on because they want new challenges) so yes, people do get burned out.

I can still vividly remember my first day when I started work at a game studio, I was buzzing thinking "this is it" I've got my dream job. The guy sitting next to me told me the "feeling" wouldn't last long, complacency and boredom will eventually set in.
I soon came to realise there were a number people working there who didn't particularly want to be there, these were staff that had been working in the industry for quite a few years, some wanted a change of career but either didn't know what they'd rather be doing or were just to complacent or lazy to leave and pursue it.

Put it this way, if I hadn't eventually left and started my own business (doing exactly what I choose to do), I would have moved on to something else by now. (FWIW, I absolutely love my situation these days and wouldn't want to be doing anything else).

This is not meant to be a negative view of the game industry, it's simply a fact of life and people will always get back what they put in, it's a great industry for some and a dead end for others.

Submitted by Jason on Sun, 09/05/04 - 12:28 AM Permalink

Thanks munkee for the link.

It's actually scaring me now to see that so many people want out of the industry. I'm almost at the end of my degree (digital media) and I've focused on getting into the game industry, but now that I realise it's not a very sustainable future, I'm beginning to feel like I've wasted my time at university. Though there are other digital media related areas.

You mentioned going into movies, do you know much about that industry? Oh wait I see you're from the USA.. The movie industry here is still really small. Wouldn't the movie industry be similar to the VG industry? In the sense that it's a lot of contract work that only lasts through the pre production phases then fizzles out later on and you're out of a job again?

Red 5: Thanks for your inspiration! Nice to know that even people with families and life outside of games can still work in the industry. Though, personally, I think by the time I get to that point in my life, realistically, I wont be able to juggle it all in addition, I don't know if the salary for someone working in games will be enough to support a family (though u seem to be doing it!).

You say that you're doing your own business now? If you don't mind, what type of business? Does it incorporate your existing skills you had from the VG industry or is it totally unrelated?

I'm just trying to figure out my options. I graduate at the end of this year and I'm thinking that mayber I should do another degree, something more long term with more stability. I think that doing more study right now is annoying, but I can't imagine ever being able to come back to uni after a few years. I'll just be too lazy by then, better now than never.

Thanks anymore advice appreciated.

Submitted by Red 5 on Sun, 09/05/04 - 1:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Red 5: Thanks for your inspiration! Nice to know that even people with families and life outside of games can still work in the industry. Though, personally, I think by the time I get to that point in my life, realistically, I wont be able to juggle it all in addition, I don't know if the salary for someone working in games will be enough to support a family (though u seem to be doing it!).

You say that you're doing your own business now? If you don't mind, what type of business? Does it incorporate your existing skills you had from the VG industry or is it totally unrelated?

Jason, working full time for an employer was extremely difficult for someone in my position with a wife (not working) and 3 kids to support... we only just managed to get by for those years we spent in Melbourne.
I'd operated a business (unrelated to games) for quite a few years before I got into games and making the switch instantly cut my yearly earnings in half but it was something I really wanted to do and I looked at it as a learning experience to eventually further myself and family.
Luckily it did pay off in the long run, I'm now earning a lot more than I could if I was working for any Australian based developer, I get to live and work where I choose and also get to see a lot more of my family.

As for what I now do, I operate a contracting business supplying car models for games.
www.virtual-mechanix.com

I think you should still go for it, you'll never know what it's like if you don't try it first hand. You're obviously still young and can get out at any time to pursue something else if you don't like it. I'm proof that you can make a change at just about any stage of your life if you have the desire.

Submitted by DaMunkee on Sun, 09/05/04 - 12:37 PM Permalink

I agree with Red 5, Jason, Go for it, Experience it as there is a feeling of working on something like a game that you just won't feel otherwise. It's a fun environment and a fast pace one were you will learn so much in such a short amount of time. Worry about the feesiblity of a long term tour in gaming later in life :)

Posted by Jason on

Everyone is talking about getting into the industry though I haven't come across many threads about lifespan in the industry. Most people employed in video games, I would assume are between their early 20s and late 30s. Do many people actually continue on into their 40s? My impression is no. I think spending so long in such a stressful industry would burn you out.

So basically, if I were able to get into the industry, it doesn't seem lik a very sustainable future and I'd need to look at a career change as I get older, which could be a big hassle. What do people do when they get older? Anyone working in the industry, what are your plans for the future, if you have any I'd appreciate hearing them. :D

Submitted by DaMunkee on Sat, 08/05/04 - 12:22 PM Permalink

Hey Jason, If you read the paper in this post, you'll see why people don't stay in it. They usually leave by choice as well.
[url]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1760[/url]

I know my plans are that I'm leaving the industry really freak'n soon :) Hehe 6 weeks baby and maybe a normal life!!!! Me, I only lasted 3 years/5 games. As for what I"m doing next. Well i'm a software engineer so I can get a job anywhere. I'm also currently in the process of arraging teaching some of the stuff I picked up.

If you're an artist, a lot of my friends leave and do contract work (and get paid bank doing it) or they move onto movies. If you're a designer... you're pretty much screwed. There's not many jobs that require the skills a designer builds when working in video games (or at least that's what my coworkers tell me).

So, In my opinion, Games are great to get into and they teach you a tonne about how not to manage a project which in turn allows you to relax more once you're out of the industry.

Chris

Submitted by Red 5 on Sat, 08/05/04 - 11:41 PM Permalink

Jason, I'm a perfect example of an exception to the rule.
I began working in the game industry in my 30's and am now in my 40's (yeah, I'm an old bugger with teenage kid's).

I do however think that the industry is geared towards young, preferably single people.

Typically long hours along with relatively low wages can (and often does) put a strain on personal relationships/marriages and family life.
If you really want to succeed and make a good sustained career in this industry it takes a good level of self discipline because the odds are stacked against it happening.
You have to contend with a certain amount of instability within any company, not knowing if you'll still have a job after you've finished your current game, you'll have to be fully aware of job promotion and how to place yourself in a position to be considered, health issues (sitting in front of a computer isn't everyone's cup of tea for years on end), boredom (people move on because they want new challenges) so yes, people do get burned out.

I can still vividly remember my first day when I started work at a game studio, I was buzzing thinking "this is it" I've got my dream job. The guy sitting next to me told me the "feeling" wouldn't last long, complacency and boredom will eventually set in.
I soon came to realise there were a number people working there who didn't particularly want to be there, these were staff that had been working in the industry for quite a few years, some wanted a change of career but either didn't know what they'd rather be doing or were just to complacent or lazy to leave and pursue it.

Put it this way, if I hadn't eventually left and started my own business (doing exactly what I choose to do), I would have moved on to something else by now. (FWIW, I absolutely love my situation these days and wouldn't want to be doing anything else).

This is not meant to be a negative view of the game industry, it's simply a fact of life and people will always get back what they put in, it's a great industry for some and a dead end for others.

Submitted by Jason on Sun, 09/05/04 - 12:28 AM Permalink

Thanks munkee for the link.

It's actually scaring me now to see that so many people want out of the industry. I'm almost at the end of my degree (digital media) and I've focused on getting into the game industry, but now that I realise it's not a very sustainable future, I'm beginning to feel like I've wasted my time at university. Though there are other digital media related areas.

You mentioned going into movies, do you know much about that industry? Oh wait I see you're from the USA.. The movie industry here is still really small. Wouldn't the movie industry be similar to the VG industry? In the sense that it's a lot of contract work that only lasts through the pre production phases then fizzles out later on and you're out of a job again?

I'm just trying to figure out my options. I graduate at the end of this year and I'm thinking that mayber I should do another degree, something more long term with more stability. I think that doing more study right now is annoying, but I can't imagine ever being able to come back to uni after a few years. I'll just be too lazy by then, better now than never.

Thanks anymore advice appreciated.

Submitted by Red 5 on Sun, 09/05/04 - 1:37 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Jason, working full time for an employer was extremely difficult for someone in my position with a wife (not working) and 3 kids to support... we only just managed to get by for those years we spent in Melbourne.
I'd operated a business (unrelated to games) for quite a few years before I got into games and making the switch instantly cut my yearly earnings in half but it was something I really wanted to do and I looked at it as a learning experience to eventually further myself and family.
Luckily it did pay off in the long run, I'm now earning a lot more than I could if I was working for any Australian based developer, I get to live and work where I choose and also get to see a lot more of my family.

As for what I now do, I operate a contracting business supplying car models for games.
www.virtual-mechanix.com

I think you should still go for it, you'll never know what it's like if you don't try it first hand. You're obviously still young and can get out at any time to pursue something else if you don't like it. I'm proof that you can make a change at just about any stage of your life if you have the desire.

Submitted by DaMunkee on Sun, 09/05/04 - 12:37 PM Permalink

I agree with Red 5, Jason, Go for it, Experience it as there is a feeling of working on something like a game that you just won't feel otherwise. It's a fun environment and a fast pace one were you will learn so much in such a short amount of time. Worry about the feesiblity of a long term tour in gaming later in life :)